Happy Full Moon everyone! The Full Moon is in Capricorn late tonight. Meanwhile, the Sun is opposite Pluto over the next few days.
Today an I Ching Meditation on the current planetary transits:
* Hexagram #16 is called "Enthusiasm," and it depicts a rolling wave of thunder over top of the element of earth.
* The image represents the power of heaven to stir within the mundane, the habitual, and the every day, the spirit of renewal and regeneration.
* Is there any time more exciting than the time of enthusiasm?
* Hexagram 16 depicts a moment where new life, new ideas, new intentions, new actions, and the seeds of new activities are being set in motion with a spirit of excitement and awakening.
* The Sun is classically related to both rulers, leaders, fame, popularity, and public appeal, as well as true knowledge, the soul, and the path of illumination. Pluto is related to the powers of purgation, regeneration, depth, and intensity.
* When we put the two into an opposition with each other we may see the intensification of men, leaders, fathers, or ambition generally speaking.
* Hexagram 16 offers a warning about excessive enthusiasm: "too much enthusiasm gets people drunk."
* We should, therefore, be careful right now that our will to power, our ambitions and goals, and whatever deep enthusiasm we are tapping into is tempered by discernment, modesty, patience, and foresight.
* We should also be careful that we are not seduced by the power of others or that we keep our eyes wide open to the powers of persuasion that are being used for selfish purposes. Enthusiasm is a powerful drug and not all that excites us fosters real spiritual growth.
* On the other hand, insofar as the Sun/Pluto and Full Moon represent a regeneration of insight, wisdom, and true knowledge, then we should notice where new life is rumbling within us.
* When intensity, power, and depth are coupled with wisdom, then the enthusiasm we feel rumbling within us will find its proper outlets and channels of expression. Rather than being dominated by the Pluto/Sun and Full Moon qualities, we will find ourselves brought to life by them.
* The descent of the Sun into Hades is also an invitation into the silent and invisible power of transcendental understanding. The Sun is luminescent and is therefore tempted to act like a one trick pony when it comes to its relationship with Hades. The glorious Sun comes shining forth from the underworld at dawn each day, and everyone everywhere says, "The King has returned! The King is born again!" The aura of victory, accomplishment, and dominion radiate everywhere and we feel quite satisfied that this is the only story worth telling. However, there is another story, and this is the story kept in the shadows of the Sun.
* Within the shadow of the Sun is the secret and invisible sting of death.
* Within the center of the Sun there is a black hole, and within this black hole the secret of secrets...who we are is not found in the rising or the setting, the victory or the defeat, the hero or the death of the hero.
* And how do we shine in the world without forgetting this quiet, modest, but just as powerful black hole hidden in the middle?
* Power without force, dominion without domination, life without attachment, death without fear...we are each stars whose light emanates from our long-ago deaths. We cannot forget our long-ago deaths.
Prayer: Help us to remember our long ago deaths, so that even while we look forward we are brought home again.
Happy Full Moon Everyone! Mercury is also turning retrograde today.
Here's what to watch for:
* The Full Moon is taking place today just after the Moon conjoins with Jupiter and just as Mercury is turning retrograde. The Sun is also square to Pluto, opposite Juptier, and moving into a conjunction with Uranus.
* This is an incredibly pivotal time on the global level, so watch as the news cycle this week erupts with more powerful events, especially tonight and tomorrow, and watch for those events to involve Mercury retrograde themes: reversals, revisions, delays, revelations, breakdowns in technology or travel, announcements, messages and messengers, etc.
* On a personal level watch for this full Moon to bring growth, new opportunities, enthusiasm, and action, but also watch as the full moon highlights issues of due process, checks and balances to power, and various processes that have to be fulfilled even as we're moving forward with great vigor toward some kind of revolutionary new idea or goal.
* As this historic t-square is being activated at the Full Moon we also see Venus and Saturn in a square with one another, while Venus is retrograde but about to station and turn direct by the end of the week. Watch as diplomatic standoffs, relationship crises, or the themes of death and love, seriousness or maturity and love, sobriety or realism and love, clash and spar. This is a time where real growth and change can occur in all kinds of relationships, but it's also a time where diplomacy can fail or we can find ourselves in a kind of stare down with someone we are at odds with.
* Because Venus is exalted in Pisces, square to Saturn, we may also see the theme of powerful women, women's rights, the abuse of women by old men, men in power, or an old way of doing things. This square is incredibly apparent, for example, in the Fox News sexual abuse scandals. However, it's also not uncommon to see the fall, death, or death or decline of powerful women. For example, Venus in her exaltation squared Saturn earlier in the year just as Mary Tyler Moore died.
* Venus retrograde may add to all of this the desire to redo, fix, amend, revise, or revisit something related to love, beauty, desire, sensuality, diplomacy, friendship, or romance.
* Meanwhile, watch for the typical Mercury retrograde themes: delays, snafoos, tech issues, glitches, freudian slips, important messages, reversals, the importance of the fine print, editing, revisioning an organizational process or structure, and so forth. Don't blame Mercury...instead get curious about all things that arise during a Mercury RX, especially the stations like today!
* Also, note that this Mercury retrograde process has the potential to really introduce strong themes related to technology, perhaps breakthroughs or changes in technology that are helpful. This is because Mercury's retrograde will move backward and eventually station to turn direct again in conjunction with Uranus in Aries. The potential for a kind of game-changing revolution of technology or information or insight is definitely in the works for this retrograde period, and in particular the idea of environmental technology comes to mind since the retrograde period begins in the earthy sign of the Bull.
* This week is especially busy astrologically, so stay tuned for more, and be sure to revisit today's horoscope for reminders of this week's transits as well!
Prayer: Let us see the messenger in our midst today.
Happy Full Moon Everyone!
Here's what to watch for today...
* The Saturn/Neptune square highlights the difference between the court of public opinion/perception, and the simple or direct reality of someone or something..."facts" and "stories" and the manipulation of facts and stories
* The blurring/blending of concrete reality and fictional, virtual, or imaginative reality...think Pokemon Go (this is also an expression of the Saturn/Neptune square)
* Unexpected, shocking, revealing events that bring something to a head or inspire rapid transformation (Full Moon square Uranus)
* Pride, vanity, stubbornness and denial (Venus/Mercury in Leo square Mars in Scorpio)
* Using appearances to manipulate others (Venus in Leo square Mars in Scorpio)
* Sexual tension, excitement, foreplay, seduction and desire (Venus in Leo square Mars in Scorpio)
* Issues surfacing within families or tightly knit groups, defending, protecting, or disowning members irrationally (Full Moon across the Cancer/Capricorn axis)
* Anger/hate/malicious speech, OR, bold, empowered, honest, direct speech (Mercury square Mars)
* Not playing by the rules, steroids, doping, cheating, plagiarizing, trying to gain unfair advantages, and concern with fairness (Mercury/Venus square Mars)
* The young woman and the elder (Venus trine Saturn)
* Beauty, lifestyle, and committed philosophies or practices (Venus trine Saturn)
* An important or revolutionary moment or series of events unfolding in succession that brings something to a head and serves as the pivot point for an important change or decision
Prayer: Teach us the beauty of honesty and the courage of transparency
The Moon in late Sagittarius is now void of course after a nice trine to Jupiter in Leo this morning. In a few hours she will enter Capricorn and immediately trine Venus retrograde in Virgo.
As the full moon approaches the Jupiter/Saturn square is also growing stronger, and soon Venus will leave Virgo and go backward into Leo again. A list of what to watch for throughout the rest of this week:
* Generational, familial, ancestral conflicts, gifts, exchanges, blessings, wounds, and rites of passage (Jupiter square Saturn with Moon entering Capricorn and eventually opposing Mars in Cancer)
* An emerging sense of clarity around a situation that has been hanging in limbo (Mercury and Mars both gradually leaving the rays of the Sun)
* The culmination of a process, a stubbornness or a block removed (Saturn about to turn direct as he receives a square from Jupiter and Venus in Leo, ruled by the Sun in Leo)
* The return of faith/hope/truth/light and optimism after a potentially long time of uncertainty, worry, or setbacks (Saturn turning direct, Mars preparing to leave Cancer, and Jupiter and Venus conjoining again)
* The subject of individual pride within a group, the role of the outcast or outsider, versus the star or celebrity, what it means to be liked or loved versus being true to yourself (Full Moon across the Leo/Aquarius axis)
The Moon in Capricorn later today will introduce a more serious, cold, practical and duty oriented mood or atmosphere. As the Moon continues through Capricorn and then Aquarius, the rest of this week will be about a Saturnian subplot. Working through various restrictive or negative attitudes or learning to take the high road or mature path through a certain level of tension will be part of this month's full moon experience.
Prayer: It's amazing what saying less will do for conflicts. It's amazing what quiet can do for the sake of resolution. It's amazing what results can come from a detachment from results. Help us to remember these things.
The Moon is in late Scorpio, void of course but already moving to conjoin Saturn in early Sagittarius.
What to watch for:
* A stern, serious, focused, and studious atmosphere
* Refining, limiting, or taming the desire nature for the sake of higher things
* A philosophical debate, presenting both sides, unifying ideas
* The beginning of a new form of study or intellectual discipline
* Successfully communicating ideas
* Piety versus desire or indulgence
* Rapid innovation, growth, progress, inflation, individuation, rebelliousness, sudden changes or explosions of insight and discovery
* A combination of hot/moist and hot/dry energies with nine planets or points in air and fire...movement, action, mental adaptability mingling with inflexibility, impulse, and aggression
* The voice of reason, discernment, and wise judgement...no excuses or weaseling out of things
* The subject of victims and victim consciousness...to what extent is it a healthy or harmful part of the changes we advocate for or demand in the world?
* Being taken advantage of or taking advantage of...realizing who we do and don't want to be connected with because of the need for share beliefs, ideas, values, or temperaments
* The study of something ancient, mastering something from the past, looking backward
* Communicative conflict, twisting words, lies and deceit, and the illusions of liberal open mindedness
* Dogma and dogmatic close mindedness
* The nature of fundamentalism...the extreme left becomes extreme right and vice versa
* Accommodating a diversity of perceptions and beliefs
* The subjects of validation, diversity, and identity...to what extent do we define ourselves or our dignity based on particular experiences we've had?
* A fiery, expansive, jovial spirit of exploration, expansion, good faith, and conquest coming through later in the day today
As we approach the full moon by early tomorrow morning, something is coming to a head. Something has reached a stage of culmination, and it's likely that this culmination reflects a gathering of new ideas and points of view, new theories and new intellectual or spiritual commitments. Our minds have been changing. How we process, think, and communicate, as well as what we will and will not take as excuses from ourselves or others is front and center at the moment. Walking our talk has become paramount for the sake of our spiritual health, but we've also been working to incorporate new ideas into our lives in a way that creates more peace, compassion, and patience with those that don't share our views. Similarly, we might be hitting road blocks right now if our minds are incapable of changing, revising, or revisioning things. We may find ourselves overwhelmed by the details or lost in the fogs of uncertainty about the future. If we don't slow down and listen carefully we'll miss what's being said. As the full moon represents a peak of energy, we may also feel tired...like the process should be father along than it is already, or like we're taking two steps forward and one step back at regular intervals. This is because this full Moon is happening in the mix of a Mercury retrograde. Also...the t-square to Neptune and Saturn involves two planets who are retrograde and slowing to station right now. So much of this month's cycle has to do with "going backward in order to go forward," or revising or revisiting something, and then slowly, slowly, watching a sea change of vision take place.
To change our minds it's not just about the ideas changing. We might have new ideas or a new sense of something, but the overall transition will still take time. Things should be more or less sailing along by the waxing part of next moon cycle, right as we reach summer solstice!
Prayer: help me to enjoy the gradual change taking place, so that my mind might be changed....the one that is trying to force things right now is the same one slowly being changed
Happy Full Moon Everyone!
Today the Moon in Scorpio opposes the Sun in Taurus while both planets simultaneously square Jupiter in Leo and both planets feature trines and sextiles to Neptune and Pluto.
What to watch for:
Something is reaching its maximum tension. Something is boiling over. Something that once looked rich and full is now looking sour and complicated. Or maybe you're feeling fed up with someone or some situation, or yourself. Change is imminent and yet there is stout resistance. It's my way or the highway versus compromise and it's time to change or get changed against our will. A difficult conversation (Mercury opposite Saturn) that involves multiple points of view, dogma, convictions, faith versus ambivalent curiosity, multiple options and no real sense of what to commit to, or commitment hampered by resistant non-commitment. Is there wisdom in resisting right now, or is it just a stubborn clinging to the past? Are we giving into something in ourselves that needs to grow up, are we justifying it with all kinds of tricks and lies, or are we being too hard on ourselves, too rigidly trying to end something that needs careful moderation and circumnavigational patience?
Consider this: it's not a philosophical conclusion or position that we need to make into an ultimate right now..but there IS an answer that we may find through the tension of this moment. Making a philosophical commitment sometimes just means making a choice for the moment...working with the consequences of a particular way of seeing and doing something. We don't need to join the catholic church of our decisions, but we should be equally careful of joining the catholic church of, "I don't need to make any decisions or consider their consequences," either.
Pride is on the line right now. Image. Ego. Our personal story. Our personal stardom. These choices and resistances have to do with what will make us happy and what feels like the right script for the right central character of our lives.
We might be suffering from "want it all" syndrome. That fog of blame and indecision that comes through and says, "I shouldn't have to choose or compromise." A lot of this has to do with trust. We sometimes don't trust that by limiting our scope or focus, or by giving something up or compromising, that we'll be as full as the picture we're imagining. Actually fullness is a state of mind, as much as it is a state of anything else. Do we know this? Do our partners, bosses, friends, and family know this? Is it heroic to know this when others don't and are we giving too much? It's one thing to compromise and it's another to get walked on. If you're always the one to compromise first, now might be the time to sink your heels in and let someone else do the transforming.
No easy answers because nobody wants to lose, and really, nobody usually wants to see anyone else lose either.
Is defense the best offense? Is offense the best defense? Against what? What are we trying to firm up right now..are we building something or are we fortifying against something?
A power-full moon.
Prayer: hungry my heart, quiet my hands, steady my eyes, eager my ears, slow my speech, tender my words, gentle my touch, courageous my soul, earnest my intentions, patient my compromise
It’s Full Moon in just a few hours! The Moon is in Virgo opposite the Sun and Chiron in Pisces.
What to watch for:
* diet and lifestyle changes demanding
* altered states, dreams, escape, boredom
* something comes to its conclusion or finish
* a wound or nagging problem that won’t go away, try as we may
* independence and the fear of commitment
* a new approach to an old system
* power struggles between the new and the old
* learning a new trade, craft, or skill
* understanding the history of someone or something important to us
* salvaging what remains
* starting over with renewed commitment and focus
* understanding power structures, learning strategy
* a powerful accumulation..something is building up, strengthening, gaining force or momentum
* facing something squarely from the past
* nagging self esteem issues, criticism, obsessive worry
* the drudgery of daily work, the feeling of being overwhelmed, tired, in need of an escape
* the need for collaboration, we can’t do everything alone
* this violence and tension is old, and why?
* seeing the big picture, standing back and taking stock
* simplification, simplification, simplification
* building something simpler, easier, earthier
* organizing as we build something new
* gender roles flip flopping, trying to build strength in what we perceive ourselves lacking
* sexual tension building
* creative resolution on the horizon
* hard to tell the difference between whats ending and whats beginning
* creative revisions and breakthroughs
* unexpected success
Is there ever any clear way of summarizing what’s happening in the sky? Does there need to be? Some voices and images in the sky speak louder from one person to the next, one group or culture to the next, one time and place to the next. I like to imagine the astrological themes like weather systems moving through the world soul. Knowing what the weather is looking like we gain a little more insight into ourselves and others, into the current moment, and like any other rainy, snowy, windy, grey or sunny day, our lives are shaped and we in turn shape by these subtle bodies. To ask “so what does it all mean or what are we supposed to do?” is like asking why it rains or snows and what to do about it. When we start with the imaginal and the eternal, then the real treasure is in the simplest reminders of eternity that these patterns give us. Of course there are always “practical” questions, but we seem to forget that practical is also a multi-faceted jewel in the night sky, a god like face or animal presence reflecting its own divine powers.
This is a good conversation to have under the Virgo/Pisces dynamic, where we can so easily polarize ourselves between what is real or practical and what is imaginal, forgetting that both are already eternal, practical, and imaginal.
Still we hear that voice, “What does it all mean? What are we supposed to do?” The strange truth is that necessity invents itself and only necessity can absolve itself of itself. If we stop and listen, in other words, then we usually know what we’re supposed to do, and we likely already know what’s going to happen when we do whatever we need to do.
Daily horoscopes are ways for any of us to simply see the various patterns and blind spots that are part of whatever it is that we’re currently doing. Sometimes the planets tell us what we’re missing, or they show us what we’re really doing that we don’t realize we’re doing, and other times by showing us the reflections of these divine patterns the planets release us from the idea that anything we’re doing really matters, that we don’t need to take ourselves so personally, and this is liberating (if not a little scary sometimes).
Again, all of this also reflects the conversation between the Virgo Moon and the Pisces Sun.
Prayer: My life is the reflection of eternity…already and always..from this place I look again at the question, “What am I supposed to do?” and now I find something slightly different.
Image by courtesy of Nasa, at creative commons image licensing
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.