The Sun is approaching an opposition to Jupiter and a square to Neptune. Meanwhile, Mars in watery Cancer is moving closer to its opposition with the limits of earthy Saturn.
Here's what to watch for:
* The 29th hexagram of the I Ching is called "dangerously deep," and it depicts a situation where deep water surrounds one on all sides. Even though one is filled with hope, or the desire to move forward or take action, there is little one can do. We are temporarily thwarted.
* In such situations, the I Ching tells us that the merit of our heart and character is being tested. If we try to push forward willfully, ignoring the danger, or in denial of some element of our own character that has put us into a bad situation, we will likely suffer a great fall. This matches quite nicely, of course, with Mars in Cancer, the place where the god of action and will was traditionally said to be in its "fall" or "depression," opposing Saturn, the god of limitations.
* If you've ever seen Monty Python and the Holy grail, there is a scene where a Knight is battling with another Knight and keeps losing his limbs, one by one, only to say, "it's merely a flesh wound!" The other Knight says, "You don't have any legs left, surrender!," but the Knight continues swinging his sword wildly, "It's merely a flesh wound. Come back here and fight!"
* The myth of the hero in our culture is glorified, and most action movies give us something almost equally as absurd as the Knight from Monty Python, but we don't see it because, in the case of our action movie culture, we glorify the ability of the ego to push away the pain or to stay in the spirit of physical and emotional victory at all costs. This is also a Mars/Saturn dynamic.
* New age culture and self-help culture similarly teach people that their pain is actually their spiritual power. Our pain makes us stronger, wiser, deeper, etc. This weaponizes our wounds so that we can become conquering heroes and often this keeps us in denial, as well. "It's not a flesh wound, it's my shamanic qualification. I'm starting my healing practice next week! I'm building my website right now!"
* And in these situations, when the hero ignorantly pushes forward, in denial of his own narcissism, unwilling to recognize the stress or pain she may be causing herself or others, then when she finally falls down, the fall is also memorialized, celebrated, and the blame cast upon an oppressor.
* But the wisdom of the 29th Hexagram of the I Ching says something entirely different about how to handle defeat, failure, and impotence. The I Ching suggests a different path when we feel thwarted.
* What if when we feel thwarted it causes us to become introspective? What if when we feel thwarted rather than thinking about overcoming our adversity we think about how to fail with integrity, beauty, meaning, and curiosity? Why don't we take at least some occasional joy in the opportunity to fail well? Not where everyone can see it. Not in some grand social media demonstration of our failure. Maybe just in the secret chambers of our heart? Can we develop just a little private taste for our frustrations and failures? An honest sit down with our impotence? A small slice of all-natural, organic shame?
* The I Ching tells us that when dangerously deep waters and waves surround us on all sides, the best we can do is to become like water and flow through the adversity facing us. Because who of us is powerful enough to part the waves or calm the Ocean?
* Truly, the wisdom to know how to flow through failures or frustration, is miraculous. It allows us to walk on water. Maybe this is the real opportunity of the Sun/Jupiter and Neptune's t-square right now in the midst of the Mars/Saturn opposition.
* Regardless, when we are humble, when we make ourselves low, then we become like the water, always flowing to the lowest point until finally our very being is used to wash the feet of angels, saints, and avatars, who are always closer to us than we imagine. So it is the success of our failing, our quiet failing, that brings us closer to that which is lifted on high, which is sung aloud and adorned.
* These are the teachings of a fallen Mars in Cancer opposing Saturn, while the Sun is square to Neptune and opposed to Jupiter, and these are also the teachings of the 29th hexagram.
* The third line of Hexagram 29 tells us that because difficulties surround us on all sides, the only option we have is to be surprised, curious, aroused, and interested in the sudden invitation to become totally still.
* Similarly, the 39th hexagram depicts a person climbing a mountain only to find an impassable current of water. Rather than feeling cursed by having to turn around, or having to find another route, the person feels blessed by the appearance of the Tao, whose personal hand is seen and felt in the unexpected obstruction.
* We talk all day about imagination, and yet we have no imagination when it comes to disempowerment, frustration, failure, and impotence. "Get it out," we say. "Purge it." "Enlighten it." "Heal it." "Empower it." "Make it conscious." "REDEEEEEM IT!"
* But I see a river, singing a deep blue song, a chorus of surrendered voices once lost, once mourning thwarted, now found, flowing home to paradise. The souls in this river only aspire to wash the feet of those saints who serve their source, taking every failure as an opportunity to flow back to the lowest points, where they might find those saintly halos shining over them once again, just like stars.
Prayer: Take our frustrations and baptize us again in the humble currents of your love.
It's Saturn's Day!!! Woohoo!
As Mars approaches it's opposition to Saturn, Saturn approaches it's opposition to Mars, so you might hear the singing of these two malefics...angels as bad guys in disguise..pressing their issues...
* the anger says, YOU LEFT ME, the heart says, "thank you."
* the resentment says, IT. IS. NOT. FAIR., the heart says, "thank you."
* the soul says, I AM SO SAD, the heart says, "I pray for others."
* the desire says, I WANT IT NOW!, the heart says, "God help me. I want YOU!"
* the loss says, WILL I EVER GET IT BACK?, the heart says, "It was never mine."
* the will says, I HAVE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN NOW, the heart says, "I don't do anything without love, peace, and patience guiding me."
* the depression says, NOTHING LASTS, NOTHING IS GENUINE, and the heart says, "I last. I'm genuine."
* the head says, I AM SO FULL AND SO FAST AND SO TIRED, and the heart says, "Let me think and speak for you. Be still and know that I am here with you."
* the responsibility says, I HAVE SO MANY THINGS TO DO, and the heart says, "be still, practice quiet, practice peace, practice love for others, and all will come."
* the sickness says, WILL I EVER GET BETTER?, and the heart says, "You. Are. Eternal. Trust absolutely everything. Trust, trust, and trust more. Watch as you rise again and again and again, and death and sickness, loss and pain, become companions on the never-ending and ever deepening path of the beloved. Is there any other choice?"
* the failure says, WHEN WILL I EVER SUCCEED?, and the heart says, "You are successful because you are alive. Breathe. And dare to be joyful."
* the ambition says, WHEN WILL I HAVE IT?, and the heart says, "Anything worth having is already in possession of you and you of it."
* the spiritual ambition says, WHEN WILL I BE A LEVEL TEN MONK?, and the heart says, "when you love others more than you care about ultimate answers or spiritual accomplishments."
* the honest heart asks, "So what do I do now?" and all the teachers in chorus, we all say, "Apply all of your heart, all of your mind, and all of your soul to the love of God. And likewise, love others."
* the skeptic says, "That's not practical advice," and the heart says, "I'm rarely that practical."
Prayer: Malefics....psh....I love it.
Venus is just separating from Jupiter while Mars is closing in on an opposition to Saturn.
Here's what to watch for:
* The continued tensions and transformational dynamics between teachers and students, higher ups and those they are dependent upon, masters and emissaries, rulers and diplomats, ambassadors or representatives and their causes..
* The issues of whether or not a good idea is really good for everyone... (Jupiter in Venus sign, Venus opposed in her detriment)
* Blunders, errors, and missteps in diplomatic relationships, friendships, partnerships, etc (same as above)
* The need to restrict, limit, cut short, discipline and focus (Mars opp Saturn)
* The tendency to deny (Mars opp Saturn)
* The rigorous calling (Mars opp Saturn)
* The tension between desire and duty (Mars opp Saturn)
* The unstoppable force and the immovable object (Mars opp Saturn)
* Times or conditions of austerity (Mars opp Saturn)
* Learning to curb one's appetites (Mars opp Saturn)
* The need to work or press through personal limitations (Mars opp Saturn)
* Hammering, pounding, shaping, something (Mars/Saturn)
* Reducing excess (Mars/Saturn)
* The excessive and grand (Jupiter/Venus) next to the austere/disciplined/somber/serious/restricted (Mars/Saturn)
* Coming to an impasse in negotiations (Jupiter/Venus opp with Mars/Saturn opp)
* Tremendous growth through tremendous discipline and focus (Jupiter/Venus and Mars/Saturn)
* The beauty, costume, pageantry of austerity (Jupiter/Venus and Mars/Saturn)
* Confrontations with authority, finding inner authority, as we simultaneously hone our diplomatic skills (same as above!)
Prayer: Teach us how to pray for others, so that our firmest convictions are just as rooted in others as they are in our love for our own ideas.
The Moon is in Pisces today, applying to conjoin Neptune in Pisces by later this afternoon. Meanwhile, Mars has entered Gemini and is about to oppose Saturn in Sagittarius, while Venus in Cancer is steadily applying to oppose Pluto in Capricorn.
What to watch for:
* Flaking out, dreamy, romantic, escapist, delusional, imaginative, victimy, private, needy, sweet, moods and atmospheres (Moon/Neptune Pisces + Venus in Cancer)
* A family crisis or transformation brewing (Venus in Cancer moving to oppose Pluto in Capricorn)
* Conflicts with authority, my way or the highway, rules and respect, tradition, deviance, trickery, clashes of opinion, philosophy, ideology (Mars in Gemini opposite Saturn in Sagittarius)
* Sacrifice...what to sacrifice, how much or how little, why and for what, and the difference between transformation and losing ourselves (Neptune/Saturn/Mercury t-square)
* Words, language, communication, and learning more skill or tact when we feel angry (Mars in Gemini opp Saturn in Sagittarius)
* Projects, discipline, masculinity, restriction, muscle, mental battles, and focus (Mars opp Saturn)
* Taking our time, slowing down (Mars opp Saturn)
* A crossroads in a relationship because of a conflict of opinions or philosophies (Venus about to square the nodes, as ruler of north node, while Mars in Gemini opposes Saturn in Sagittarius)
* Getting taken advantage of in relationships or offering support to others, a fine line between the two (Venus trine Neptune)
* Selfishness with a history of mental defiance (south node in Aries with Mars in Gemini)
* Sudden, rapid, unexpected success, grandiosity, pride, ego inflation, victory, achievement, luck, and enhanced personal prestige or power (Jupiter in Leo trining Uranus in Aries)
* Technology or communication breakdowns, slow downs, confusions, mess ups, problems, or set backs (Mercury slowing down to station)
* Revising, editing, or negotiating a form of communication, a contract, an agreement (Mercury slowing down to station)
Prayer: Help us to move through this philosophical and communicative challenge slowly, mindfully, and openly...as much as we find our truth, let the truth of those we love find us.
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.