Let's talk about family today...
* This New Moon may very well bring up changes or challenges within the family or home. We see this because not only is there a strong emphasis on the domicile of the Moon, but also because the New Moon is beholding Jupiter in Libra, just as Mars is slowly being consumed by the Sun.
* Here we have an image of the family, the organization of the family, justice and fairness within the family, old-age and death in the family, leadership within the family, new beginnings or changes of the guard within the family, power-plays within the family, generational conflicts within the family, family karmas burning off or deepening, and the importance of knowing our place within the family.
* The family is also a metaphor for the psyche, for our living situation, for close-knit groups we are part of, or for the emotional fabric of our lives in general.
* The New Moon, Mercury, and Mars in Cancer are all in the exaltation of Jupiter in Libra, while Jupiter is in the fall of the Sun and detriment of Mars. Through this interaction, it's as though we are seeing an image of the quest for truth, justice, and right order within the "family," while also seeing the potential for denial, refusal, blame, ignorance, or willfulness.
* Knowing one's place and humbly walking in the duties of our place, with joy, is the only way we can expect others to naturally take up their own roles more naturally and willingly. While it might be tempting to try to force a restoration of justice, right conduct, or order, within any tight-knit group we also have to be careful to allow for the flourishing of individuality and individual psychic needs.
* What does a healthy balance between our personal and emotional needs and the sacrifice necessary for order, harmony, and fairness look like right now?
* Where are we trying to force others to conform to our needs, and if those needs are dysfunctional, then have we considered the idea that we might be bringing the whole group down?
* When and where is there need for larger reform within the family of our commitments and relationships and duties, and how do we go about creating that without demanding it, or without stepping outside of our own place?
* When something is tempting us to act out in our own interest, even if we feel we deserve something, what is the virtue of remaining humble, remaining small, and finding a way to receive what we feel we deserve without making a large demonstration or without disturbing an important balance or equilibrium?
* What do we gain when we restrain ourselves from acting out of a sense of emotional selfishness....especially when we feel we are in the right, or we feel justified in being demanding?
* When we feel like we're just waiting for something to happen, for a large change to be made, or a breakthrough to be had, or order or justice or fairness to be restored, can we find the peace and patience to trust the process and stay focused on the duties at hand?
This New Moon marks the beginning of a familial return to order, harmony, peace, balance, and truth...but some things will need to pass or extinguish slowly over the next few weeks. For now, it's important to gently restrain ourselves from trying to establish the larger systemic or long-term results we desire too quickly. Instead, we might imagine that we are slowly nurturing a larger restoration process and stay content to know our place within that process....
Prayer: Help us to find our place, near the hearth fire, and help us to tend it patiently as we watch the process of justice playing out around us.