Over the next week, Mercury will be not moving more than one degree while it is in a square with Saturn who is also preparing to station and turn retrograde. Mercury will thus be in an applying square to Saturn between now and the end of the month. That's a whole lot of Mercury/Saturn to come!
Here's what to watch for:
* Mercury in Aries and Saturn in Capricorn combine fire and earth, which are incompatible elements that tend to conflict with each other. Fire is hot and dry, while earth is cold and dry. If fire is enthusiasm, then earth wants to cool and contain it. If fire is faith or certainty, vision or action, then Earth may have its doubts, may feel that fire is impractical or may seek to contain, hold, control, or make fire more "functional," potentially killing the mood or spirit of fire. On the other hand, where earth has a plan, where earth has a structure, where earth is proposing greater wisdom, rationality, or common sense, fire may be willfully defiant, rebelliously disregarding or even disrepsecting the careful and methodical processes of earth. Earth may be looking for tradition, conservation, method, and measure, while fire may wish to selfishly discard these things in favor of blazing its own trail or being willfully ignorant of something that is commonsensical. Earth may be exhausting the fire and making us sluggish, or fire may be exhausting the earth and making us feel burnt out.
* When fire and earth work together, we have passion in practical service. We have a measured but visionary response. We have method and enthusiasm in cooperation. We have maturity and strength, tradition and individuality working as one.
* It is inevitable, karmic, destined, or fated, that some of us will have to experience the clash of these symbolic/elemental dynamics in the next few weeks. How we respond to these elemental dynamics is also a matter of how we utilize our free will. We should never be so blind to think that we have no role to play in the unfolding of our lives but never so arrogant to think that we are in control of everything. Both extremes tend toward seeing ourselves and one another as impersonal and objective, rather than personal and relational.
* Among many other things, Mercury is the mind, speech, communication, highly developed skills, learning, technology, information, messages, invention, translation, and interpretation, whereas Saturn is ignorance, darkness, the maturity of age and time, death and disease, mortality, structure, discipline, loneliness or isolation, and things that are abandoned or outcast. When the two get together by square they are relating to one another through the language of Mars (ancient astrology tells us that squares are of the nature of Mars).
* The desire to control, squelch, direct, kill, extinguish, or exhaust someone's enthusiasm, speech or mind is a temptation to avoid right now. Similarly, the combination of Mercury and Saturn represents the fortification of the mind. If someone or something is trying to kill your joy or enthusiasm, if someone is trying to control you or tell you how to think, and it's not an instruction you've asked for, then you may find yourself needing to fortify and defend your mind from those invasive or domineering influences.
* On the other hand, sometimes our willfull, youthful, and rebellious nature, especially mentally or verbally, needs to be reformed. This transit may very naturally teach us to be less impulsive, self-centered, competitive, loud, fast, and furious...especially mentally or verbally. Sometimes we mistakenly think that the only way to communicate something is to do so with power, force, volume, or vigor. On the other hand, sometimes we mistakenly think that the only way to communicate something is to do so with as much control and reference to authority or structures of authority as possible. We forget how to be human; we forget how to be individuals because we worship structures of the mind rather than our various structures of the mind being employed to help us worship the divine.
* I refuse to think. I refuse to discuss issues or topics that are challenging or that require patience and careful or mature and compassionate reasoning. This is a problem. Sometimes people mistakenly think that spirituality involves ditching or not using the mind. People think that spirituality is nothing more than nice feelings, relaxation, beauty, and general kindness to others. These qualities are of course an important by-product of spiritual life, but if we refuse to think or if we refuse to consider the larger questions of life, "Why am I here?" "Am I more than my body?" "If I am an eternal spirit/soul, then how should I live?" "What does it mean to have a spiritual practice, and why should I have one at all?" Sometimes people say, "get out of your head and into your heart," forgetting that heart-centered practices, in fact, lead to heart-centered intelligence.
* We'll continue to look at this for the rest of the month!
Prayer: Mold our minds into the shape of our eternal selves, a pair of completely unique hands, pressed together in loving prayer. Make our minds a temple, free of the white noise of me and mine, and full of the flowering songs of devotion.
Saturn stationing to turn retrograde is like...
* Stopping something before you get in over your head
* Biding your time
* Strategizing for a later advance
* Thinking it over
* A breakdown of rules, structures, and forms of conduct
* A reconsideration or revisioning of forms, structures, and rules
* Releasing an embittered or dogmatic perspective
* Shutting down rather than opening up
* Melancholia on the rise
* Facing the inevitable
* The destabilization of foundations or the ruin, decay, or breakdown of tradition
* A time of looking inward to find a kind of stoic acceptance
* A time of great concentration
* The death or downfall of old men, men in power, old patriarchs, etc.
* The intensification of our desire to control, harness, or contain
* The tightening of hard lines, boundaries, limits or barriers
* Rejection, the cosmic "no," defeat, and inhibition
* Black and white thinking amplified
* Serious, focused, mature and responsible attitudes
* What we can and can't hold or contain
* The desire to return to a "good old" time or a "good old way" of doing things
* Generational breakdowns, torch passing
* The end of an era
* The feeling of being on hold, of one part of you waiting and waiting for being released from some duty, obligation, or confining set of circumstances
* Creative tunnel vision
* The collapse or failure of time-tested _____ (fill in the blank)
* A change or transformation to deeply held principles
* Standstills or standoffs
* Delays with regard to structural or procedural issues
* Fated events change attitudes, knowledge, or beliefs
And the list could go on!
Prayer: Help us to find the freedom within every limit, the release of expectations within the performance of every duty, and the carefree joy and spontaneity held in the secret chambers of responsibility.
What a week of astrological transits we have in front of us...
Here's what to watch for:
* Over the next week + the Sun will oppose Jupiter, square Pluto, and conjoin Uranus.
* Over the next week Saturn will station and turn retrograde
* In a little over a week Venus will station and turn direct
* In the next week Venus will exactly square Saturn and then station and slowly turn direct while Saturn is doing the same thing, making for a kind of ongoing standoff between the two planets all month.
* It's first quarter Moon today.
* In the next week Mercury will station and turn retrograde.
* In the next week we'll have a full moon activating the t-square.
WHAAAA! That's a lot to take in. Here are some big themes to watch for...
* As the Sun enters the t-square you may feel inspired, bold, courageous, and determined. Taking actions, entering the fray, and pushing your agenda forward may come naturally. However, whatever the Sun's agenda might represent, it's sure to be met with challenges from people who make the rules, bend the rules, or simply don't like your energy, charisma, or gusto. Challenges to our authority and determination are always a call to reflect a little more before we react, strategize rather than bulldoze our way through, and to check in and understand our own personal motivations.
* In a mundane sense, we are likely to see heads of state, leaders, people in power, or people with the power to judge or decide things entering into a time of turmoil, change, and challenge. It's a time where we might see heroes emerging to challenge the unfairness or corruption of something, as well as the continued attempts by people in power to bully and dominate as a way of advancing their agendas. More on this in the days to come!
* Venus and Saturn stationing and entering into a month long stand-off, alongside of a Mercury retrograde, has the look and feel of a diplomatic or relational standoff. In both our personal lives and the political world, watch as we encounter all manner of obstructions to harmony. But for a more detailed analysis of Venus/Saturn check out yesterday's horoscope here (http://www.nightlightastrology.com/…/a-long-venussaturn-squ…).
* Mercury's upcoming retrograde will also eventually conclude with Mercury stationing to turn direct in a conjunction with Uranus as the morning star. Mercury is about to delve into the underworld only to eventually emerge bright, strong, and with a groundbreaking announcement, piece of information, idea, epiphany, invention, or breakthrough to share with you and with the world. In the meantime, as Mercury stations in the next week we should expect to see the typical Mercury station themes: breakdowns, blips, and Freudian slips, delays, distortions, and misunderstandings, specifically in communication or travel or transit or information, or synchronistic events, conversations, communication, information and ideas. Mercury's station to retrograde also brings the beginning of an inner period of revision, recollection, and transformation, usually in terms of our mind, thoughts, and patterns of communication or organization, etc.
* Today the first quarter Moon points to a moment of tension, creative conflict, and energetic breakthrough. First quarter Moons usually give us a very good sense of what themes and issues, what people and conversations, which themes, struggles, lessons, and joys will be pronounced for the rest of the cycle, or at least through the Full Moon. This is true for us personally as well as in relationship to things happening in the collective.
Prayer: Teach us to feel the weight and wisdom of history, but let us stay as ethereal as the cycles of the planets and their ever-dancing lights.
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.