Venus has just entered the sign of Virgo, and Jupiter is about to turn direct in Scorpio!
Here's what to watch for:
* Venus has just entered Mercury's earthy home and exaltation, which happens to be the sign of her own depression or "fall." What does this mean? It means that Venus is now navigating some of the inherent archetypal tensions between herself and Mercury. Rhetorius summarized this in terms of the relation between desire and sensuality and logic or reason. He said that where one increases the other is depressed and vice versa. So...
* Venus in Virgo is sometimes overly rigid, analytical, dry, or worried when she prefers to be harmonizing, flowing, sensing, feeling, and enjoying.
* Venus in Virgo is sometimes torn between the desire to enjoy any kind of sensual happiness and the nervous tension of the mind. This can lead to an intense back and forth between the senses and the body and the mind. Imagine the image of a pent-up Librarian...by day he is the keeper of the Dewey decimal system, but by night he moonlights as an exotic dancer!
* On the other hand, Venus in Virgo sometimes guarantees (as one of my readers pointed out yesterday) that we will have better discernment or detachment so that we will make wiser decisions in relation to our desires and senses.
* Venus in Virgo is also the meticulous craftswoman, the detail-oriented architect or designer.
* On the other hand, Venus in Virgo can indicate that our attention to detail when trying to make something beautiful actually makes it end up looking too technically perfect and not "natural" enough.
* Look to the whole sign house of Virgo (or Virgo ruled house) in your birth chart to see where Venus is starting to embody these tensions!
* Playing with the tensions between planets is the simplest and oldest way of understanding how to read any planet in any sign. The reason Venus was "depressed" in Virgo isn't that it's inherently a bad sign for Venus, it's that it reflects a more difficult tension for Venus within the home of another planet. So imagine the goddess being forced to hang out for a while in the house of a brilliant but nervous mathematician...it's not her ideal suitor!
* Next, tomorrow Jupiter turns direct in Scorpio. A planet turning direct is like someone getting out of the DMV. Sometimes the universe puts us into situations where we are forced to contemplate or wait for something. You may enter the DMV whistling a happy song bright and early, but then find yourself held up for hours on end, eventually doubting your own existence. But it's all worth it. The DMV is like a modern sweat-lodge in the sense that when you emerge from the intense heat of the ritual you are strangely cleansed. When you leave the DMV, for at least the first hour afterward you feel like an adult, like a real person, with real choices, and the sky is the limit! :)
* Jupiter turning direct indicates that the planet of expansion, faith, growth, abundance, confirmation, good luck, and nobility, is about to start working its magic again (look to the Scorpio ruled house in your birth chart).
* A period of doubt, revision, reflection, delays, and reversals of fortune is coming to an end and momentum will likely start moving things forward again.
* Jupiter turning direct is also about a moment of coherence. You may feel as though you are gaining clarity, wisdom, or understanding, as you turn a corner, finish a project, or prepare for something new (again, look to the Scorpio ruled house in your birth chart). For example, in my own chart, Jupiter is moving through the 7th house of marriage and partnership, and my wife is about to give birth to our second daughter!
* Jupiter turning direct may also indicate that you are experiencing a deep feeling (water sign!) of renewal, regeneration, or rebirth. You may feel as though you are leveling up or powering up after a period of feeling somewhat stuck or weighed down by something.
* Note, Jupiter turning direct in a fixed sign is a bit like a humpback whale slowly turning around and starting to swim in the opposition direction. It's a process! :) Give it some time!
Prayer: Teach us to hear the voice of our higher intelligence, which is careful but fluid, meticulous but easy, uncompromising but effortlessly beautiful.
**ps--in case you missed it, check out yesterday's live video blog on Venus in Virgo and be sure to check out my recent appearance on Chris Brennan's "The Astrology Podcast."
The dark Moon is in Libra today, and it's ruler Venus is about to finish up it's rather more difficult placement in Virgo and then enter the sign of her rulership in Libra. Mars will follow suit and enter Libra by Thursday night (sign of his detriment).
Here's a short list of what to watch for:
* Small disasters (caused by over eagerness/desire/ego) thankfully averted (Mars surrounded by Jupiter and Venus in Virgo, with Venus in her fall conjunct the increasing effects of the north node)
* The end of a cycle, labor, project, or process (dark moon, about to be new again)
* The darkening intellect, the revelation of hidden truths, secrets, lies, or deceptions (Mercury in Scorpio conjunct the Sun)
* Generational encounters (Jupiter/Saturn square)
* Puritanical/moral rigidity or the return to purity and wholesomeness, or youth and vanity (Jupiter, Mars, and Venus in Virgo)
* Understanding the essence of something, or getting down to the bottom of it, refining our understanding, simplifying and expanding simultaneously (Saturn in Saggitarius, Sun/Mercury in Scorpio, Jupiter in Virgo)
* The reckless/naive/brave/cavalier/innocent qualities of youth, and the attainment of wisdom through life lessons and the grace of higher powers (Mars in Virgo surrounded by Jupiter and Venus)
* Purging, cleansing, criticizing (stellium in Virgo)
* The vanity of someone or something being exposed or seen clearly in the lights of Autumn
* The scientist, chemist, or explorer of dark/hidden/invisible realms (Mercury/Sun in Scorpio)
Prayer: Today is the Sun's day...may we all experience the renewal of our spirit and the knowledge of things that have been hidden from us until now.
The Moon is in Sagittarius this morning, about to conjoin Saturn in Sagittarius and then moving into aspects with Mercury, Neptune, and Venus by this afternoon.
Since Venus is almost exactly opposite Neptune, let's talk about the Venus/Neptune dynamic today.
While Venus is the goddess of love, beauty, desire, harmony, and happiness, Neptune represents glamour, intoxication, imagination, fantasy, delusion, drunkenness, and the transcendent or transcendental. When you put these two planets together you get a pretty fantastic mix of beauty, grandeur, allure, desire, eroticism, mystery, altered states, and aesthetic or artistic intoxication. The Venus/Neptune dynamic isn't a rare alignment by any means, but it's definitely not as widely or popularly written about by astrologers as larger/slower moving planetary cycles.
Venus/Neptune dynamics are notorious for creating the unquenchable romantic longing. Relationships or lovers may never be good enough, dreams and fantasies never actualized, longings interrupting life to the extent that just about anything may seem unbearably "normal" or "boring." For these reasons, Venus/Neptune can be one of the most irritating transits out there. Sometimes with clients I will use the phrase "divine discontent" to describe Venus/Neptune contacts...as though nothing is ever good enough and yet this very state of "never good enough" is like a glass of wine that simply can't be put down..it just tastes so good to ache and yearn so much for something we can't have. In this way, Venus/Neptune is a bit like a kind of erotic torture chamber or a fantastic foreplay that never ends. Our ability to enjoy the Venus/Neptune dynamic may depend upon whether or not we can delay gratification, or recognize the fantasy and essentially let go of whether or not its "actually" realized.
With Venus in Virgo (the sign of her depression/fall) it's also possible that we're experiencing a divine irritation with the smallest imperfections or impurities within our relationships, our partners, or ourselves. If we're looking in the mirror and constantly finding the smallest flaws, or dealing with a kind of romantic level of dissatisfaction with ourselves, our wardrobes, our artwork or the appearance of something...Venus/Neptune with the Virgo flavor can definitely create these kinds of irritations.
On the other hand, Venus/Neptune is also known for profound artistic or spiritual inspiration, channeling, or transmission. States of revelry or being profoundly connected to the muse might take place with Venus/Neptune in opposition right now.
The fact that Neptune is in the sign of Venus' exaltation might also suggest that someone or the influence of some outside presence might take something mundane or simple and make it appear transcendent. Like a makeup artist who sees the beauty we don't see and then presents that beauty to the world. Or a hairdresser or interior designer who can take a little and make it into a lot. The idea of Neptune, planet of glamour, taking something simple and maybe self conscious (Venus in Virgo) and making it into something other worldly and hypnotizing is quite strong right now. This might be part of some kind of elaborate deception or delusion too...it all depends.
So simple advice for the day: allow for the simple to become other worldly and allow for the other worldly to become simple.
Prayer: Help me to see the loyal hands of the simple poet between the lines of grace.
The Moon is in fall in Scorpio today, heading toward a trine with Mars in Cancer and then a square with Jupiter in Leo, finishing with a conjunction to Saturn in Scorpio.
Having just left the via combusta, and finishing the first quarter with a series of difficult aspects, it's been a challenging couple of days. We're also in the middle of some of the most intense aspects of the summer season. In particular, today Venus is stationed and about to turn retrograde.
Here's a list of what to watch for:
* Changing hair, makeup, clothing, styles
* Changing image, changing look
* Changing furniture or changes in value/appearance
* Changes related to love, relationships
* Revising or revisiting something related to love, beauty, or appearance that has its roots in the past
* Dealing with self criticism, vanity, or criticism of others related to style, taste, hygiene, or appearance
* A romance or old flame returns from the past
* The relationship between self image and purity of heart/morality
* The deterioration or crumbling of a relationship
* The subjects of purity and intimacy versus lust in sexual relationships
* Craving a simpler way of living, simpler style, simpler appearance, simpler budget plan
* Purging, organizing, cleaning things around the house, the closets and drawers
* The desire to return to an old or vintage time period or aesthetic style
* Antiques, vintage furniture, vintage costumes, makeup, art
* An old form of music or art making a come back
As Venus is stationing in Virgo, the need to reevaluate our values, tastes, relationships, and aesthetic is very strong right now. The stationing phase can represent a kind of crisis moment, where a shift of momentum relative to any of the themes above is taking shape. The retrograde phase is often about the implementation of these changes after the crisis or breakdown of the stationing period.
In the meantime, here's a list of what to watch for from the Moon today:
* An opportunity for two people or two sides of an issue, both in difficult conditions, to flip flop positions, giving each other what the other needs or prefers (Mars trine the Moon in mutual reception)
* A moody/broody emotional outburst or irritable situation involving family, home, mothers, children, women, violence in the home, ancesetry, family patterns (Mars trine Moon)
* An emotionally charged atmosphere (Moon trine Mars)
* A big, dramatic, emotional climax or egoic display (Moon in Scorpio square Jupiter in Leo)
* Killjoys, pride, arrogance, false positivism (Moon in Scorpio square Jupiter in Leo)
Happy Venus retrograde everyone, and have a great Saturday!
Prayer: Goddess of love and beauty...as you begin to move backward, help us hear what you have to say.
The first quarter Moon is in Scorpio today, heading now toward a trine with Neptune, and then sextile with Pluto by this evening. Meanwhile Venus has stationed and will turn retrograde tomorrow.
A list of what to watch for:
* The breakdown of romantic relationships or affections with others because of a heavy amount of criticism, knit picking, complaints about purity or moral standards (Venus stationing in Virgo)
* Thinking of ourselves as royalty when we're not aware of the food stuck in our teeth or our bad breath (Venus in fall in Virgo, situated on fixed star Regulus, the heart of the lion)
* Feeling lazy, entitled, infantile, hot or heavy, but pleased with ourselves (Sun in Leo)
* Pride, dignity, ego, destiny, specialness, vanity, jealousy, comparisons, competition, and wish fulfillment (Sun in Leo)
* A change in appearance, values, approach, style, taste, spending habits...purging, simplifying, organizing (Venus about to turn retrograde in Virgo)
* Things bubbling up from the unconscious, the unseen, the taboo, the shadow side (Moon in Scorpio)
* Feeling emotionally heavy, combative, irritable (Mars in Cancer)
* Will power feels weakened (Mars in Cancer)
* A generational stand off, conflict, exchange of values and lessons, rite of passage, (Jupiter square Saturn)
As the Sun has just entered Leo, it's a great time to refresh on some of the Leonic mythology. One of the simplest ways to understand Leo comes from its seasonal placement, during the middle of summer. Even though the days are shortening, little by little, and the solar year is declining, Leo presents us with the most stable and enduring days of summer. It's through these mixed qualities that we can understand Leo's core drive to achieve immortality, or to fulfill a unique sense of destiny or purpose. With the realization of mortality setting in, Leo reminds us that our time here is short and what we make of it will determine our legacy. Leo is like that sense of a god-given mission or sacred duty that we are both bound by, sworn to, and also afraid of...it's the things we know we must do but are constantly having to find the heart and courage to achieve. There is a sense of drama and grandeur to the Leonic myth, and it can obviously lead to arrogance or vanity, but the greater calling of the Leo or solar myth is in fact heroic. To a certain extent we are here to stand against the idea of our own death, to resist it by completing something that may live beyond the death of our bodies. This is the mid-summer dream. The imagined royalty of the dying king. And we need big hearts to walk its talk. Hearts as big as the sun!
Prayer: Help us to find, listen, and follow our hearts. All the way. No turning back. So that we might contribute our soul's love to this world, beyond our death.
The Moon is culminating in Leo today, just past a conjunction to Jupiter and now to the square of Saturn before both Venus and the Moon will enter Virgo, the sign of Venus' fall. Meanwhile, Jupiter is getting closer to the square of Saturn.
What to watch for:
* The mind consumed by the irrational, worst case scenarios, fear, hastiness, rash estimations, suspicions, secrets, etc (Mercury combust and conjoined with Mars in fall in Cancer)
* The growing tension between young and old, old and new, tradition and innovation, dynasties and new rulers, faith and doubt, withholding and generosity, suspicion and trust (Jupiter/Saturn square)
* Family in crisis, family and fate, life and death in the home, relinquishing control or authority over a situation that is closely personal to us (Moon in Leo square Saturn in Scorpio)
* Concerns around cleanliness, order, organization, purity, details, purging, detoxification, chastity, virtue, facts, and preparation (Moon in Virgo)
* Trouble finding harmony or ease, beauty or grace in situations because of unavoidable burdens, things that need straightening out or dealing with, issues of integrity or order, or an overburdened mind or sense of worry or disease (Venus entering fall in Virgo, ruled by Mercury)
As the moon cycle is now waxing, what events were put in motion at the new moon that are now finding greater traction? How are we getting in our own way with overly negative or worried thoughts right now? How can we gracefully and patiently work through slowing or frustrating obstacles, remaining quiet and flexible each step of the way? A dying animal is going to die, it's death is in sight, and yet the beast may bite the hardest when mortally wounded. Knowing this, we need to be patient, respectful, and pay close attention to how we approach everything right now..imagining that there is a dangerous, vulnerable, and dying animal standing between us and our goal.
Prayer: In order of importance, we attend to the ceremony of death when its directly in front of us, no matter what gains, new life, or benefits lie in wait afterward.
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.