so check out my YouTube channel,
starting with this new Moon forecast!
I've made four videos this week, while I'm out of town,
so check out my YouTube channel,
starting with this new Moon forecast!
Happy New Moon Everyone!
I'm leaving town today on a yoga retreat and will be out of cell/wi-fi range until the weekend. In the meantime, I've prepared some written thoughts about the big lineup of transits happening this week, plus I've made four short videos, one per transit, that you can watch on my YouTube Channel this week (see comments section for links).
New Moon in Libra (October 8th/9th):
* This New Moon lands in Venus' sign and is in a close square to Pluto. With Venus retrograde in Scorpio, this Moon cycle is going to be about making important judgments, comparisons, and evaluations, perhaps especially in relationships. How open are we to the values, ideas, or beliefs of others right now, and how open are we to being transformed by others? Do we only ever expect that others conform or change for us, or do we tend to be the only person making changes for others? These questions will be featured.
Meanwhile, it's also a great time to see how we are measuring up to the standards we set for ourselves. How close to we come to making our own grade? Are our expectations too high, not forgiving enough, or too low, and potentially lazy?
Finally, if we're honest with ourselves and honest with others, then it is possible to plant the seeds of deep and lasting changes in our relationships right now. This is the promise of an intense, Plutonian flavored New Moon with its ruler, Venus, also retrograde in the Mars-ruled sign of Scorpio.
Mercury Opposite Uranus (October 9th/10th):
* The planet of intelligence, communication, technology, messages and messengers will oppose the planet of rebellion, disruption, and innovation this week, suggesting that we might be on the brink of an intellectual or communicative breakthrough, or we may feel the need to raise our voices, so to speak, especially for whatever we believe to be most progressive or "radical." Of course, given the rest of the planetary action right now, it's likely that these breakthroughs will come in our relationships.
If we think that judging, analyzing, comparing, evaluating, deconstructing, or thinking our way to truth is a long-term solution for a spiritual problem, we are sorely mistaken. This transit has the power to provide us with an intellectual or mental breakthrough that is in service to our spiritual life, and to spiritual activities. When our mind is in service to spiritual life, it is happy. When the mind is given the task of BEING the full extent of our spiritual life, we're in trouble. A spiritual life without intelligence is hollow, and intelligence without a spiritual life tends to be guarded or even paranoid.
Venus Square Mars (October 9th/10th/11th):
* The goddess of love and the god of war are in a grudge match this week, just as Venus is turning retrograde. Venus is in the superior position, putting great pressure on Mars within this time of creative conflict and tension, but Venus is also in Mars' sign, in her detriment, which means that Mars has some power over her, as well.
Can we seek understanding rather than victory? Can we seek to be changed as much as we long to change others? Can we open our hearts to a new way of existing within our relationships? Can we imagine that conflict is not always bad? Can we see the endless turning of these opposites and learn to see something beyond them?
In Greek mythology, Mars and Venus (Ares and Aphrodite) were adulterous/forbidden lovers. Can we snatch some defeat from the jaws of our victories, just enough to keep us in love with what comes next, with what came before, with what lies beyond? Can we snatch just a little bit of victory from our defeats, recalling that love is the only thing at stake and yet it is always available, open, and free?
Finally, the Sun will Square Pluto (October 11th):
The ego, the ruler, the leader, the King or Queen, the CEO, and the paternal are being transformed. Our sense of purpose, ambition, and action, are changing. We have an opportunity to be enlightened, but it will require humble submission before the forces of the unconscious.
Also, what is the balance between our "ideals" and the gritty, earthy, reality of the world we live in? When is nice just a bunch of phony and when is gritty and difficult actually substantive and helpful? On the other hand, where do we need to soften, yield, and learn to become more diplomatic? Where are we being asked to put our ideas to work in the world or to conform to a higher standard? These questions and more will be highlighted, as well.
A lot! Be sure to check out my short videos on each, as well.
Prayer: Be our friend, so that our minds may befriend. Be our ideal, so that our ideas may serve you. Be our companion, so that our relationships may give you the dearest company.
We are just on the edge of Venus turning retrograde on Saturday afternoon.
Here are some things to think about:
* As Venus turns retrograde we will be moving into the dark Moon phase, suggesting that something is ready to be released or that decomposition is reaching its final and deepest stages. You may notice that you are feeling out of synch, or that someone or something has lost its glitter or attractiveness. It's possible that any remaining hope we have that something can or should change will need to be let go of. While this may sound bleak, it's also possible that we are ready to take the wisdom gathered from a long process or cycle, which is now coming to its conclusion. Those things we've "known all along," we are now ready to act on or embody, as denial is no longer a possibility.
* With all of this may come a new commitment to the future, and an eagerness to put the lessons we've been learning to use. This we are likely to see as soon as October 8th, when the New Moon in Libra (ruled by Venus retrograde), begins a new cycle of activity reflecting the changes Venus is asking us to make.
* Along with all of the above, Venus in Scorpio will ask for a more profound, if not confrontational, level of honesty from us. It may be a relief to say, "This is what I want," or "this isn't at all what I desire." Or, "this is what I find attractive," or "I really do not find any value or beauty in this."
* Just after Venus turns retrograde, and just after the New Moon, on October 10th Venus will square Mars. The last time it did so was around September 10th, which means a time of creative, sexual, or relational tension (for better or worse) will be returning quickly into Venus' retrograde cycle.
* The square between Venus and Mars will also be taking place just as the New Moon is first appearing in the sky, in its fall, in Scorpio. The conflict and tension between the masculine and the feminine is going to be a very powerful part of the cycle ahead, both collectively and personally, both inside of us and within our relationships. While Venus is in the superior square to Mars, exerting power over Mars, she is also in her exile, weakened to some extent, in Mars' home sign. This should make for quite a tangly situation. In traditional terms, Venus is going to be struck by a ray from Mars but will then "overcome" Mars. It's likely that conflicts of interest, taste, value, and desire in relationships are going to be on the table, up for review, heated, and with both planets in fixed signs, "unyielding," and yet it is from exactly these kinds of standoffs that creativity, innovation, healing, understanding, and transformation may take place. Compromise is a necessary part of life, and for as principled as we may be, or for as much pride as we may take in our principles, compromise isn't always about the absence of a principle but rather it is a principle of its own. We should consider the radical position of compromise in the weeks ahead, imagining a rare alchemy is at hand, and see what happens when we get curious about that which is opposing us.
* It only takes a moment. Zoom out. See that which is opposing or challenging you as bigger than a person, or an idea, and instead see everything opposing you as the apparent instruments of a larger voice, a strange music, a flowing grace, and a mysterious mercy. Open your heart, and you will find that there is more here than meets the eye. Compromise comes from this patient, watchful, discerning and listening space.
Prayer: Make us lovers and listeners of your song.
Mercury is squaring Pluto today...
Here's what to watch for:
* A transformative communication
* An important piece of news or information
* Disclosure, confession, revelation
* Information coming to the surface from a repressed or hidden place
* The attempt to manipulate information
* A change of mind
* Intellectual depth
* Naming the elephant in the room
* Gossip and the way speech can hurt or harm
* Triangulation dynamics in relationships
* A teaching moment
* Getting to the bottom of something
* The messenger and the message from the underworld
* Criminal investigations or investigating things that are hidden, off-limits, etc.
* Receiving constructive criticism
* Politically correct/incorrect and the way both can become manipulated concepts
* Perfectionism and discipline vs. heart and soul-centered communication with others
Prayer: Remind us of the peace that passes understanding. Give us the intelligence by means of which we may come to know you more intimately.
Check out my monthly Sun/Rising sign columns at Astrograph.com. Click on the image above and then find your sign's glyph at the top of the page!
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.