The New Moon is in Capricorn today, in a close conjunction with Venus, and with six planets stacked up in Capricorn, overall.
Here's what to watch for:
* This is a "let's get real" kind of New Moon. Think: sober, serious, mature, disciplined, wise, grounded and committed.
* On the other hand, this new Moon says "this is what it is." If you've been telling yourself a story about something and it's just not so, or if you've been imagining something to be other than what it actually is, this is a new Moon that comes with the gravity and weight of Saturn.
* Ironically there is perhaps no planet more imaginative than Saturn. Saturn was traditionally associated with the deeply creative moods and the inner states of melancholics, contemplatives, and hermits. Why? Because imagination, spiritual or inner life, and altered states are all born within the confines of the mundane. They grow like sparks of distant light within its darkness. For ancient astrologers, Saturn was therefore related to both the mundane as well as the way in which a hard, cold acceptance of the mundane leads very swiftly to the simultaneous reality of spirit and imagination. For example, the first "noble truth" of the great liberation traditions is the reality of suffering. So when we say "Saturn is the real," we can't forget that Saturn is also the watcher on the threshold of the great beyond, the dark-robed ferryman standing at the edge of the ocean of suffering, beckoning us to the far shore.
Nowadays we spend a lot of time using Saturn as a placeholder for the "real" so that we can prop up the so-called transcendental/transpersonal realities of the outer planets, but this distinction is redundant when we study the sophisticated symbolism that ancient astrologers gave to Saturn (and really to all the planets, in general). Anyway, all of this is just to say that having an encounter with the "real" during this New Moon is part and parcel of the opening of spirit, imagination, the inner life, etc. When we live in denial of how things are, then we stand no chance to relate with depth, meaning, mystery, nuance, spirit, or imagination to the way things are...
* A huge stellium in Saturn's sign is taking place just as Saturn has come home to its own sign for the first time in a long time. So how about that classic Saturnine word: responsibility. Responsibility is a complex thing. Most people don't mind responsibility. In fact, responsibility gives us constant opportunities for the creation of meaning, intimacy, courage, nobility, and virtue. What most people mind is not being able to choose what they will be responsible for, or not knowing themselves well enough what kinds of responsibilities they can do gladly. Some say that responsibility is its own reward and that it doesn't matter what we take responsibility for, but this is a dark and icy road to travel down. Many people in the world suffer, every day, from being born into circumstances they do not experience as having chosen, living lives filled with responsibilities they do not feel are freely selected, and it's important to be real with ourselves about this fact. We shouldn't act as though it's ever as simple as, "cowboy up because responsibility is its own reward."
On the other hand, many times in life we choose things that we think we really wanted, and then we become responsible for the consequences of our desires only to find out that we desired something from a place of ignorance. There is a temptation in such situations to quickly discard our dharmic responsibilities and to go after something new and shiny, all over again. This kind of mindless disregard for attending to the consequences of our choices is potentially just as ignorant as believing that responsibility, in and of itself, brings happiness.
All of this is to say...right now you might be recognizing more than ever what you're responsible for, or what ignorance was at work in your choosing, and this can be entirely sobering (and painful). On the other hand, you might be recognizing that your heart simply isn't in whatever you're doing and that for you to be responsible to anyone or anything, your heart HAS to be on board from here on out.
* The other thing that goes along with Saturn and all this talk of responsibility is the need for recognition. Most people are willing to suffer tremendously if they think that whatever they are suffering for is worth it. We all have it in us to lift a pretty heavy cross if we think it provides us with an opportunity to get something we want. We are ambitious creatures, and we should be careful about what kind of recognition we desire right now. It may not be healthy for us in the long run. At the same time, even the noblest or most spiritual of ambitions cannot survive for long without some healthy recognition. Right now you might be needing more healthy recognition, and if that's the case, don't feel bad about it. We are too hard on ourselves for desiring affirmation from the world, from ourselves, from others, and most importantly from the divine. With Capricorn, it's easy to forget that we are all still children in the eyes of God. We are all doing our best, and the need to be seen and affirmed, in the heart, for whatever spiritual work we set ourselves to is important. It is not a sin to ask for love. It is not a sin to need love. The great sin, the great illusion, is to believe that love is earned or deserved...it is not, it is given freely to whoever is open to receive it freely.
Prayer: Teach us the responsibility of freely loving ourselves and others, the ultimate "revolving door policy." Teach us that honesty, pain, and suffering, are real...the real place from which we may always ask for real love.
Mercury has just entered Capricorn and is moving into a conjunction with Saturn. Meanwhile, both the Sun and Venus are now moving into a square with Uranus.
Here's what to watch for:
* Serious, sober, earthy thinking
* Mature, meticulous rationale
* Heavy, somber, melancholic moods
* Firm, solid agreements
* Making a plan, a solid plan
* Listening to wisdom from an elder
* Economy of words
* Refining technology
* Making an announcement
* Committing to a path of study
* Saying something that needs to be said
* Starting from the ground up
* Going back to the past to go forward
* The reality of other worlds
* Wisdom, age, and time
* Severe, harsh, or cold communication
* Something that is young but wise beyond its years
As for Sun/Venus moving into square with Uranus
* Sexual or creative breakthroughs
* Taking something just one step over the line
* Breakdown of diplomatic relationships
* Foot in mouth syndrome
* Aesthetic revival or awakening
* A bold new style, look, or idea
* Aha moments
* Breakthroughs in understanding or comprehension
* Fast, easy, creative sparks
* Unexpected or disruptive events in relationships
* Feminine empowerment
* Breaking from the status quo to speak out
* A woman speaking out
* Friendships and revolution
* Exciting news or revelations, popular, shocking, controversial gossip
* Sexual liberation, romantic impulses
* Art that shocks, sends a message
* Unconventional wisdom, inventions, discoveries that expand our knowledge
Prayer: Teach us how to be wise but not cold, teach us to be sober but not somber, teach us to be exciting and electric but not frivolous or forgetful of your love.
Venus is still at the heart of the Sun today, and already, Oprah is running for President. :)
Meanwhile, here's another list of things to watch for:
* Be careful of what you wish for, you may get it. Venus is cazimi, but remember that Pluto has a dark sense of humor about these things.
* If you think the Sun/Pluto/Venus energy has passed by, think again, the Moon is about to enter Scorpio and there is another few days of the effects of this transit to go.
* If you aren't experiencing much, or not noticing much, just remember this little window of time and the events surrounding this period of time. We're heading into eclipse season and these events are also sowing seeds. The effects of this transit will take a while to make complete sense to us, at which point there is a high likelihood we'll say, "Aha! Pluto!!!" :) Pluto is the "got ya" that's already gotcha.
* Mercury is just passing out of antiscia with Saturn. The past few days of tirades, unasked for advice, overstatements, resistance to truth, weird technological snafus, delays, hesitation, doubt, secretive communication, gossip, behind the scenes analysis, prohibition, or important new ideas or insights....well, we can see it in the stars with the secret meetup between Mercury and Saturn...which is about to become not so secret, and actually put into action, in the next days as Mercury enters Capricorn and conjoins Saturn out in the astrological open. :)
* Mars is passing beyond Jupiter now. So if you've been craving blood, sex, or martyrdom, that should be passing shortly. :)
* In all seriousness, the fading of the Mars/Jupiter conjunction is important because Venus and Mars are also dancing in a sextile with one another. Right now we're seeing the aura of a bold new vision and the feeling of being confirmed or affirmed in a quest or mission. Now it's all about "going forth" and doing it.
* If you want to see another simple manifestation of Venus at the heart of the Sun, conjoined with Pluto, check out Lebron James calling out H&M for a racially insensitive sweatshirt they had a young black boy wearing. It said something like, "I'm the coolest monkey in the jungle," on it. The King photoshopped the image, called it out, and I believe H&M has already removed it. A piece of fashion called out for racism by "The King." You really can't make it up. :) Watch for this transit! See it's presence in your own life and learn something beautiful. It's amazing!
* Don't forget, in the next week, the Sun and Venus will move into a square with Uranus. That should kick down a few doors, land a few flying kicks, and wake us up a little. :) More on that later.
Prayer: To the once and future queen, goddess of mercy, compassion, and bad-guy thumping... long live the queen!
Venus is now cazimi, at the heart of the Sun, and will travel with the Sun very closely in this condition over the next several days. As it does so it will conjoin Pluto. Meanwhile, it's the last quarter Moon right now, as the Moon travels through Venus' airy temple of Libra.
Here's what to watch for:
* The reaping AND sowing of karma related to love, romance, sex and sexuality, friendships, agreements, contracts, and alliances.
* The urge or desire we've tried to repress rearing up from the shadows to remind us...you haven't let go until you've really let go of something.
* Betrayal, jealousy, secrets, gossip, lies, manipulation, coercion, and exposure, leaks, or disclosure.
* Finding or starting a new relationship, fated, losing or ending a relationship, fated, or experiencing a fated relationship crucible.
* Decisions that feel like life or death. Termination, expiration, bottom lines, and the need to eliminate things that do not feed the soul.
* Growing up, maturing, healing, deepening our relationships.
* Vanity, superficiality, exposed.
* An important new allegiance, meeting powerful people or allies.
* Bad deals, buyer beware, all that glitters is not gold. Karma related to materialism.
* The transformation of our aesthetic, style, or image...the look or appearance becoming more authentic, real, minimal, earthy, or mature.
* The empowerment of women, the feminine, women in power, the "dark feminine."
* Mystery, eroticism, and power.
* The receiving of a new artistic vision, the muse appearing and saying "create this."
* Powerful, subversive pieces of art, fashion, film, fiction, etc.
* Venus and the King, Venus as Queen, Venus is given executive privilege.
* Renewal and rebirth for all things Venus.
* It's also the last quarter Moon today and tomorrow in Venus' sign, so we're moving through a kind of harvesting moment related to Venusian things, while Venus is also in the process of being born again. It's a unique transit and should make for interesting headlines in the next few days, as well.
Prayer: Place in our hearts the vision of your love. Burn whatever stands in its way within the flames of your peaceful, compassionate, and fierce love.
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.