Some notes on yesterday's lunar eclipse in Aquarius...
* Remember that eclipses do not affect us right away; they take time, and especially with the fixed or solid signs. Solid signs, like the middle of each season, are stable, enduring, and as such, they are also related to effects that take time to develop and whose impact is also potentially longer-lasting.
* Remember the last time eclipses took place in Leo/Aquarius was roughly 1998 to 2000. You can, therefore, look back to those years to see if any similar themes or events are connected to whatever is happening in your life right now.
* Easy tip: look at the whole sign houses of Leo and Aquarius in your birth chart. With yesterday's eclipse in Aquarius, you should focus on the topics of whatever house Aquarius rules by whole sign or whichever house contains the 4th degree if you are using a quadrant based house system (like Placidus).
* Remember that the south node of the Moon indicates loss, deprivation, constriction, decrease, surrender, etc. It is associated with a decline in fortune, but, as Indian astrologers have long noted, where there is a decline in fortune there is also an opportunity for greater detachment from material things, which means a potential "increase" in spiritual things.
* Remember that with Mars retrograde conjoined yesterday's eclipse the themes of frustration, anger, willfulness, violence, fighting, bravery, courage, etc., are playing a big role right now. Retrogradation can indicate that a planet is being frustrated, blocked, or prohibited from its normal expression, or it can indicate that the planet is reorienting itself or revising something, or perhaps looking back on the past. Retrogrades also indicate reversals of fortune. When the God of war is frustrated, blocked, or reversing itself, it can mean a variety of different things, but chief among them is the idea of surrendering our will and finding a higher cause to "fight" for. Or, we might be recognizing that struggling against something has become futile. Or, we might be learning how to access or relate to the themes of aggression or assertiveness in a new way.
* Finally, remember that the sign of Aquarius is in play right now. Aquarius, a Saturn ruled sign, is related to outsiders, innovators, and marginalized people or groups, but it is also a sign that can easily become dogmatic, intellectually or mentally rigid or somewhat physically dissociative, and socially elitist.
* Lunar eclipses mean a change in the realm of fortune. They indicate changes to one's environment or changes of circumstance, and with Mars and the south node, together, this could mean that we are learning to let go of something, or that there is something we need to surrender in order to deepen our spiritual lives. It could also mean that the changes happening around us are of a Mars-like nature, or are related to the frustrations of Mars explained above.
* If you have planets at 4 Aquarius, or right around there, pay attention to the symbolism of those planets in your birth chart, as well.
Prayer: Teach us to let go of power and disempowerment, so that we might learn to see the source of all power, moving through all opposites, since time immemorial.
Mercury is turning retrograde in the sign of Leo today!
Here are some things to watch for:
* The last time Mercury was retrograde in Leo was the summers of 2011 and 2012. Look back to that time, and look at the whole sign house of Leo in your birth chart to see what topics were active. Take note of any changes, revisions, delays, setbacks, that were happening. Ask yourself the question, "How was my life path unfolding during that time relative to these topics?" This exercise may give you some good hints to prepare you for the path ahead.
* Remember that retrogrades are normal, and remember that retrogrades signal that a planet has lost its apparent "secondary motion," and has fallen back into the greater "primary motion." You can therefore always think of retrograde planets as having lost some sense of autonomy, or possibly experiencing breakdown or frustration. A retrograde planet is also an indication that a planet has been subsumed by the wheel of fortune, or that a planet is surrendering into a force greater than itself. These conceptualizations can help us to each surrender and trust the process with retrogrades, and this is why one of the most common side effects of retrogrades is "frustration and delays," while the most common advice is to be careful not to push your agenda too intensely.
* Remember that Mercury/Hermes is also the guide of souls or the psychopomp. As Mercury turns retrograde, Hermes is also preparing to take us into the underworld, which means there is a theme of mental, intellectual, or communicative depth available to us. We can change our minds. We can reconsider, evaluate, and release what is no longer working, especially surrounding thoughts, ideas, technology, learning, writing, thinking, etc.
* As Mercury descends into the underworld, it is also changing from the evening star to the morning star, which means that Mercury is becoming more "yang" in its disposition. A morning star Mercury, which we will see later in August, is more of a firebrand, a whistle-blower, an evangelist or public preacher, whereas evening star Mercury is sometimes more poetic, nocturnal, liminal, relational, aware of public perception, and more "yin," in general. So you may notice that your entire way of thinking and relating to others, or the mood and mode of communication in the next weeks, is about to become somewhat less diplomatic and progressively more fierce, bold, and authoritative (especially in the Sun's sign!).
* Over the next few weeks you should be especially careful of the tendency for aggressive, forceful, or proud communication to get the best of you. As Mercury changes positions it will also be consumed and "burnt up," by the light of the Sun, which may be particularly intense given that Mercury is also already in a fire sign. (ps--this should become very obvious in the news, too!)
* Finally, remember that wherever there is a breakdown, there is always an opportunity for a breakthrough. When something doesn't work, or when something is delayed, or when something is "reversed" unexpectedly, we can either rail against the wheel of fortune (a fruitless endeavor), or we can get curious about what is happening, making the assumption that the divine intelligence doesn't make mistakes, and taking the opportunity to return to our chairs and become students of our own lives again! In the sign of Leo, much of this may revolve around our relation to fathers, men, or authority figures in general (Sun's sign), or to our own pride, ego, and sense of "rightness" (again, Sun things!).
* A sign of greatness is the excitement we feel when we are humbled. We can and even "should" feel excited when we are humbled because being humbled is a mercy that returns us to ourselves, to our true size and place in the Universe. It's only from the place of our authentic spiritual position, one little but sacred part of the whole, that we may fulfill our actual destiny. We stand no chance to find our spiritual calling in life if we are constantly stepping outside of ourselves, living in the midst of a puffed up chest or in the white noise of our most prideful complaints. Why be excited when we are humbled? Because its a sign of respect that the Universe would prefer us just as we are, simple, beautiful, children of the divine.
Prayer: Show us the way you prefer us. Teach us to be excited about that. Let each "no" we experience be more than a "no," but also the most amazing reminder that the divine source we come from is actually speaking to us, which, regardless of whatever it is saying, is just plain awesome.
Today and tomorrow the Sun in Leo is moving into a square with Uranus in Taurus. Don't miss Kelly Surtees kicking off my Summer Speaker series tonight at 7 pm eastern (login info is on the Upcoming Events page). Given today's astrology, and given Kelly's natural awesomeness, it should be amazing!!
Meanwhile, here's what to watch for with the Sun/Uranus square:
* Flashes of brilliance
* An "aha" moment
* The desire to be free, single, or independent
* The urge to individuate
* Challenges to authority, convention, or the status-quo
* Defiance, rebellion, and innovation
* The need to assert oneself, to follow one's unique call or pattern
* A sudden or unexpected event, perhaps coupled with a rush of excitement, enthusiasm, or illumination
* The egotistical Avante Garde
* The urge to assert one's uniqueness in the face of limitations, authority, rules, or structure
* The call to create
* Capturing or channeling lightning
* Heart attacks/heart awakenings/surges of electrical impulses
* The sudden breakup of structures or traditions
* The impulse to change, transform or rapidly mutate
Given that Mars retrograde is also closely involved by t-square, the amount of "yang" energy symbolized in the sky right now is pretty intense. As a culture that is often obsessed with the notion of progress, even spiritually, it may be tempting to fall into the trap of thinking that willfulness and aggression are justified right now in order to advance our sense of righteousness. On the other hand, how many times have we regularly cowered in fear and allowed for our own ignorance or personal shortcomings or limitations to dictate the course of our lives? Is today the day for a personal and spiritual breakthrough?
Prayer: Awaken us. Illuminate the path before us. Help us to see the truth and to remove, with great joy and great kindness, all that stands before us and pure devotion to you.
While we are just days away from a series of powerful aspects from the Sun, Uranus, and Mars, plus a lunar eclipse, Venus is also quietly making an opposition to Neptune.
What to Watch For:
* Fantasies, dreams, visions, and romantic intoxication
* Desires, delusions, illusions, and projections
* Divine dissatisfaction or discontent
* The longing for something more
* Sexual or material cravings
* The urge to satisfy, please, save, heal, or help others
* Whatever is uptight, held in or held back, now learning how to let go
* The need for sacrifice or surrender
* A manipulation of facts or perceptions
* Trying to make something imaginative into something overly concrete or too literal
* Secrecy and hiding things for the sake of appearances
* Psychosomatic illnesses
* Placebo effects
* Romantic or sexual impulses
* An inability to discern between healthy and unhealthy, beautiful and ugly
* A bad makeover, trying to cover up or hide something ugly
* Letting your hair down
* An attraction to altered states of consciousness, drugs, indulgent foods, etc.
* The loss, death, or dissolution of a famous woman or women in the spotlight
* Controversy or scandal related to powerful or famous women
* Getting lost in the fog of pleasure
* Dance, performing arts, and aesthetic or creative fluidity
* The topic of healthy vs. unhealthy boundaries in relationships
* The smoke and mirrors of public relations
So remember, even though this week's astrology features the Sun, Mars, Uranus and a big lunar eclipse, Venus and Neptune are also key players in the events of the week ahead!
Prayer: Teach us to see past the theater of our desires and help us to ask the one question that always opens a direct line of communication to the most beautiful, the most imaginative, and the most profound and intimate happiness: "How can I best serve you?"
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.