Happy Fall Equinox Everyone!
* The fall equinox happens as the Sun crosses the celestial equator while descending in its daily path in the sky, from summer solstice to winter solstice. The fall equinox is the gateway into the dark half of the solar year, where there is more darkness in a twenty-four hour period than light.
* The guardian of this gateway is the sign of the scales, a symbol of balance, judgment, and justice.
* As the Sun enters Libra, moving into the underworld, it is said to be in its depression or "fall."
* The classic figure of lady justice is blindfolded.
* The underworld is the realm of the soul, of what is invisible, cloaked, shrouded, unconscious to us in the day.
* Libra is the planetary house of Venus. Libra is the exaltation of Saturn.
* We cannot take anything with us into the underworld, or in death. There is nothing to add to the soul, nothing that can be stripped away from it, and yet we enter the underworld naked as the day we were born.
* Real judgment, real beauty, real discernment, real balance, real wisdom is measured not in terms of external appearances alone...everything beautiful, every desirable, must be balanced against the truth of the heart, which often remains invisible.
* Vanity means being blinded by images, whereas love means seeing by means of images into the invisible realm of the heart and soul.
* Indecision often boils down to the discomfort we feel with doing the right thing when it doesn't appear to be right to us, for one reason or another. Indecision is often the result of not trusting the invisible discernment of the heart, whose rules aren't based in socially agreed-upon rules or images.
* Equanimity isn't about walking around the world without emotion. Equanimity isn't about the perfect tone of voice, the perfect dress code, or aesthetic, and it's not about seeing all sides of something and remaining pleasantly neutral. Equanimity is about the invisible peace of the heart, flowing and guiding us through all different kinds of experiences, helping us to make all different kinds of judgments, and teaching us the loving art of affectionate but firm discernment.
As we pass through this equinox moment, Jupiter in the sign of the scales is in an opposition to Uranus in the Ram. But even revolution requires us to walk carefully and to walk in trust, not listening for a moment to the voice that would tell us to remove our blindfold and rush forward foolishly.
Prayer: Teach us the art of the invisibles. Teach us the prayer of the wise judge. Bring us to the dark chambers of the ever-present, all-seeing heart.
The Moon is in Taurus today, Mercury turns direct this week, and we're just days away from the Fall Equinox.
Here's what to watch for:
* Just as the Sun reaches the turning point of the Equinox, it will conjoin with Jupiter in Libra and Mercury will simultaneously turn direct. Something that has been regressing will start progressing again. A time of closure will bring renewed faith and hope, and a long period of transition will begin solidifying itself into the next chapter.
* As Mercury stations this week it will be engaging the Saturn/Neptune square. It's possible that this week we continue to clear the haze, fog, and confusion surrounding something or someone in our lives. It's also possible that misinformation will find a way of being cleared out or clarified, or that important ideas and concepts are communicated in a way that helps us to move through various mental or communicative barriers.
* Whenever Mercury stations it's possible that we see delays, glitches, miscommunication and misunderstandings. However, the important thing to remember is that just as Mercury is stationing this week he's also emerging from under the beams of the Sun and in his own sign and exaltation. This should mean that things that have lost power or influence, things that have been sick or weakened, will start to make a come back or will start to improve on the whole.
* The Sun's entrance into Libra will be followed in the upcoming weeks by Mars leaving Sagittarius and Mercury leaving Virgo. This means that the very long period of planets stacked in mutable signs is almost over and hence a long transitional or liminal space is starting to close. Often this closure period is accompanied by distinct events that serve to "close the door" and mark the change in a powerful way.
* For today and into tomorrow, the Moon is moving toward a trine with Mercury, and so it's likely that we become concerned with or called to Mercury related things. It's also likely that we receive positive news, or that negotiations, conversation, and communication leads to good results on the whole.
Prayer: Prepare our hearts for the balancing of the scales.
The Moon in Sagittarius is making trines to Venus and Uranus this morning, and then slowly but surely working its way to a trine of Mars and its first quarter square of the sun.
Whatever has been taking shape since our new moon (which was a solar eclipse this month) is now taking hold and potentially facing its first growth related crisis. First quarter moons have often been described astrologers as a pivotal time of development or something like a coming of age rite of passage. This idea has to be applied to a microcosmic time period (a 28 day moon cycle), but the metaphor still holds up. Often we find ourselves going through some rapid series of challenges, hard work, setbacks, and turns of plot during 1st quarter moon moments. Sometimes its as simple as a critical change of thought or perception, and in this way it's perhaps more subtle. Watch and see what you find over the next 24 hours or so!
Meanwhile, in the next few hours as the Moon trines Uranus watch for unexpected jolts of insight, awakening, and unpredictability or eccentricity. Uranus' effects will be intensifying again in the coming months as Pluto turns direct and begins working its way back toward their square. Although their square won't be exact again, we will most certainly feel the effects of their application toward one another.
As Mercury is retrograde we have to remember that he's also barely moving in his retrograde. This might mean that while some essential changes are happening in our lives, they also might need more time before the changes are fully formed. During this time of the month, when I get a new idea, or I feel like revising or revisiting something, I try to wait 3-4 more days until Mercury starts gaining speed again. Then my thoughts are usually more fully formed on the matters at hand.
Last but not least, it's fall equinox in just a few days. The equinoxes and solstices might seem like insignificant events, but astrologically they are anything but small. Each solstice and equinox represents a major turning point in the solar cycle of the year, and the fall equinox in particular represents the entryway of the sun into its death phase. The sun in Libra is in its "fall." The fall season was named after the fall of the sun in the sky and the fall or descent of plant life back into the underworld. Not surprisingly the sign of Libra is depicted by the scales of judgment, justice, and truth. The next thirty days are the most important days of our solar year in the sense that our work will begin its phase of completion for the year...a time where integration, dissemination, releasing, understanding, rewards and consequences, and the envisioning or imagining of the next cycle all start to take place. It's a particularly great time to begin intellectual or spiritual journeys of learning or understanding, as the dark part of the year also reflects the wisdom of the cycle. The scales of justice are also a symbol for the gathering and weighing of experience...the results of which are truth and knowledge, as well as discernment.
Prayer: Today is the sun's day. Thank you for the light and life you give, all year round, and even now as you begin to descend for the year...we also celebrate the abundance of what you give to us in death.
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.