Today the Sun crosses over the zero Aries point, and we officially enter the light half of the zodiacal year.
Here is what to watch for:
* The Sun moving across the zero Aries point means the Sun is moving into the place of its exaltation. The Sun is especially powerful in the cardinal fire sign of Spring.
* Exalted planets are like honored or revered guests, or you might think of them like the owner of a business as opposed to the domicile lord who is like the everyday manager of the business.
* Exalted planets may also tend toward a kind of impossible idealism, and they are also associated with high standards, arrogance, and fame or stardom.
* The Sun in Aries is, therefore, an embodiment of executive and privilege and power, initiative and strength, new beginnings, action, and willful idealism. The Sun in Aries wants to mobilize and direct all of its energy toward a singular goal. The Sun in Aries wants the world to conform to its will and desire.
* Remember that fire is associated with purification, cleansing, and purging. Fire heals as it burns away impurities. It's a great time for "Spring Cleaning," closet and drawer clearing, or any kind of physical, mental, and emotional releasing. Whatever we're holding onto right now, the fires of zodiacal Spring offer us an opportunity to simplify and start fresh.
* It's also a good time to renew or double our efforts, spiritually speaking. It's very easy to misapply the Arian qualities by simply chasing after more of our own selfish ambitions. If we can remember that we are spiritual beings, here with a spiritual purpose, then the zero Aries point becomes a moment of remembering and reapplying ourselves to our spiritual mission with renewed enthusiasm and vigor.
* Remember that it's easy to overpower others, and it's easy to get overpowered during Aries season. Steady as she goes!
* As the Sun enters Aries today it will immediately enter into a square with Mars, who is overcoming the Sun. This square thus features both an exalted Sun and an exalted Mars. So we have two very exalted figures squaring off today and tomorrow.
* Watch for...
* The "King" and the "Military" at odds
* The King overcome or overthrown by a Mars figure
* The leader or ego overcome by a hard but true critique
* Faithful stewards whose measures further public welfare
* Truth to power
* Accountability of powerful people or the need for oversight
* The collaboration of powerful forces, actions, and willpower toward a common goal
* A willful or egotistical person, a show of force or power, a misuse of authority, a check on someone or something's power
* Overall, the Mars/Sun square can again be an incredibly useful transit for the advancement of noble or virtuous causes and goals, and it can be especially useful for accelerating or inspiring our spiritual practices or helping us to dovetail other areas of life with our spiritual values, but we also have to be aware of the tendency of these planets to get into puffed up contests of will or pride.
* On a mundane level, we should note that the Sun is about to enter into what is called a besiegement. As it crosses the square to Saturn it will immediately find itself contained on either side by squares to Mars and Saturn, without any other planet intervening. This is the picture of a Solar figure or person stuck between a rock and a hard place. We should not be surprised to see powerful men or powerful leaders being called out, falling down, suffering or struggling.
* As the Sun is often related to the ego or the gravitational center of meaning in our lives, we also should not be surprised to see some significant challenge to our pride or ego or the "central narrative" of our lives over the rest of this week as the Sun finds itself hemmed in between the malefics for a while. These challenges are to some extent destined, and we will only make things worse if we try to fight the inevitable or avoid the humbling experience of this transit.
* When we add to this malefic besiegement of the Sun the fact that Venus is also heading toward a square with Pluto, it's safe to say that gender dynamics, issues with authority figures, and relationship challenges overall are going to figure prominently into this week's storyline.
As ever, we study these transits not to get lost in the dramas and not to amp ourselves up about anything, but to take this heavenly knowledge and its goodness with us into the continued unfolding of life in the material world, so that we may pass through the various seasons of life with a deeper sense of peace, patience, and understanding.
Prayer: Hold us in check, and don't let us forget the source of all power in life. Where there is the need for greater humility, let it be our happiness. Inspire within us the desire to let your will and direction be our greatest treasure.