The Sun is moving into Sagittarius just as the Full Moon in Gemini is coming through.
Here's what to watch for:
* Remember that there is a powerful duality inherent in the sign of Sagittarius.
* Sagittarius season represents the most intense descent of the light in the solar year, but at the end of the sign, when we reach the winter solstice, the light begins to return.
* Similarly, there is a potential for voidism, nihilism, existential despair, and prodigality built into the fiery, Autumnal sign of Jupiter. Like the rowdy, war-mongering Centaurs of Greek myth, Sagittarius has a wild-child, ride or die, eat drink and be merry mentality that is often overlooked in favor of words like, "wisdom, travel, hope, and free-spiritedness."
* Don't forget that Zeus could be an angry, temperamental, thunder-bolt throwing, playboy, as well as the cosmic orchestra conductor, and King of the Gods.
* On the other hand, like Scrooge in the Christmas Carol, the redemptive side of Sagittarius is represented by the desire to turn over a new leaf, to look forward to a brighter future and to rise from the darkness with renewed faith and excitement.
* Centaurs were also the keepers of wisdom, knowledge of medicine, war, AND astrology! Even C.S. Lewis wrote them into the Narnia chronicles as both fierce, rowdy, unpredictable warriors and also astrologers.
* So, yes, Jupiter is the holiday spirit, by Jove! But Sagittarius is also intimately related to the darkest time of year, and the wildness of our animal instincts. Hence, the Centaur, a dual-natured created...part rational and refined, part unharnessed and wild.
* Meanwhile, this week's Full Moon (late Thursday night into Friday), is in Gemini, the home of Mercury.
* It should be a "Hermes" kind of full Moon: social and mental energy, nervous stimulation, conversation, perceptions, ideas, technology, learning, shifting, playfulness, etc.
* However, this Full Moon in Gemini is hosted by Mercury in its detriment in Sagittarius, square Mars in Pisces, while the Sun and Jupiter are getting together.
* Which means?! Jupiter is very dominant right now, and also excessively fiery, authoritarian, strong-willed, or "big."
* Plus, Mars, god of War, in Jupiter's sign, is also stirring the pot.
* Be careful of that conversation or debate that escalates too quickly. Be careful of contentiousness in speech and communication. Be careful of self-righteous grandiosity.
* But, on the other hand, don't be surprised if passionate ideas are being discussed or if you feel the need to say or communicate something more forcefully than usual.
* You may find that you are open to new ideas or that a change of mind and a change of heart are happening at once.
* Don't be surprised if there is an emotionally zealous quality in the air right now, unchecked by reason.
* Let yourself be stirred to life, dropping unnecessary doubts and worries, finding the beat of life and the irrational confidence of spirit.
* See the forest from the trees and remember that your journey is much longer than the horizon of this lifetime, what to speak of whatever temporary passions might be rising at this time. Watch and listen, and try to say less...see what there is to see when making oneself smaller and more curious when the hot air starts blowing around you.
Prayer: Encourage us, and give us passionate minds tempered by the impulse to listen first.
Happy Full Moon everyone! The moon will be full in the sign of Gemini by this evening, just in time for holiday fun (or family drama, depending on your situation!).
First a kickstarter update, then today's horoscope.
In great news we've crossed the $5,200 mark on our way to the $7,500 goal. This means we have $2,300 left to raise to meet our goal. As a result of getting so close I'm offering a few extra special reward tiers. The first is a more than 50% discount on the 2016 6 month immersion astrology course ($475, normally $1075), and the full year apprenticeship ($799, normally $2,000). Finally, I'm glad to announce the launching of a one year horary astrology course next fall, and I've also made a limited number of these discounted tuitions part of the reward tier ($800, normally $1600). Otherwise, please check out the variety of special astrology, tarot, and I Ching readings I'm offering as thank yous for your donation. Remember that even the smallest donations help to support my work!
On to today's horoscope!
Almost all of the planets are in mutable signs for this full moon. The Sun, Saturn, and Mercury are all in Sagittarius. The Moon will be in Gemini. Jupiter is in Virgo. Neptune is in Pisces. It's a mutable parade! Added to this the fact that Saturn and Neptune are square to each other almost exactly and we have the making of a very philosophical full moon time.
One thing that always comes to mind for Gemini/Sagittarius is the beginner's mindset versus adept or the wise old master or sage. In a sense they are mirror images of each other, and we might fairly say that most very masterful people (masterful in life, or masters of a trade or craft, etc) retain some very humble sense of being a fellow student, learner, or traveler of life. So the question at this full moon time might have something to do with being a beginner or entering into a new phase of learning or education. At the same time it may very well represent the culmination of a process of learning and inquiry into something, whereby the results of our research, experiences, and reflections are adding up and being shaped into something tangible or some kind of message, announcement, accomplishment, or philosophy.
Even still...we should expect that the culmination of one form of understanding is only the first step in a new journey of learning that usually begins very closely following the last.
Reflecting on my own life I see this very clearly happening within my own astrology practice. A long period of study, writing, and research, over five years of full time practice, is culminating this full moon period as I witness my first birth ever! To think that I have worked with literally thousands of people's "birth charts" but I don't have any adult insight into the actual experience of birth. In some ways I know quite a bit about astrology, but in another sense at this moment I feel very much like a beginner. This too is a reflection of the Gemini/Sagittarius full moon.
On another level this full moon reflects a clash of ideologies, philosophies, beliefs, opinions, and ideas. Whereas Sagittarius represents something like a large and unified body of knowledge, an approach, an established philosophy, and a committed/passionate devotee, Gemini is more like the alley cat and its street smarts, or the questioning skeptic, naysayer, heretic, mischief maker, or open minded and never decided learner. Whereas Sagittarius knows something, Gemini is sometimes more concerned with relating or communicating something..with consideration rather than certainty.
So looking at our lives right now, where is our certainty being challenged about something...or where are our most heated convictions learning to be more moderate or temperate? Alternatively, we might consider the idea that there is a commitment phobe living inside of us...someone who need to learn how to stop asking questions as a pattern of denial or avoidance...and instead we may need to learn how to commit to something philosophically, intellectually, religiously, or even just in the way we live our lives each and every day.
In the midst of all this is the unavoidably mystical symbol of Neptune. Neptune adds to our full Moon elements of fantasy, romance, delusion, and imagination. The question of something being real or unreal increases right now, as does the feeling of being liberated or limited by something...a circumstance, an idea, or a path we've chosen to take in life. Another way of putting it is that to whatever extent our ideas, beliefs, or convictions have been too limited they might be opening up immensely at this time. Whereas for people whose ideas are too wishful or somewhat deluded, things might be shortly running up against various limitations or basic fact walls. This process will cause some of us to reevaluate our priorities or philosophical commitments, or being again the process of learning and questioning, while for others it will affirm something we've been considering for quite a while now...in a sense demonstrating to us "in actuality" the higher truth of the matter.
So wherever you're at tonight, or in the next few days, see if you can spot these changes taking place in your own life. Don't get duped or hoodwinked into something too Neptunian, but also don't be pushed into something too rigid or serious for the heart. Keep an open mind, but don't use an open mind to avoid the truth of something.
Prayer: Thank you for teaching us and guiding us, renewing our philosophical or spiritual commitments while also reminding us how to stay in the beginner's mindset
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.