The Moon is in Leo this morning, applying to Mercury in Gemini, and then the nodes of the Moon, Venus, Jupiter, and Uranus. A busy day of aspects!
Before we get into what to watch for, it's important that we take note of the immediate presence of Saturn's retrograde into Scorpio. We've seen a racially motivated mass murder at a church service in the US, as well as the Pope's progressive global statements about climate change (remember that Saturn's entrance into Scorpio began with Hurricane Sandy). These are just two events that stand out in the headlines, but both reflect the very Saturn in Scorpio themes we looked at earlier this week when Saturn entered Scorpio again. It's likely that these themes will step up over the summer months, and so we should prepare ourselves to look inward once more with profound honesty.
In the meantime, here is what to watch for today, a very Leonic day, and a preview of Venus' approaching retrograde in the sign of Leo.
* A bold, strong, stubborn, proud, charismatic voice (Moon in Leo sextile Mercury in Gemini)
* A dramatic, showy personality or a know it all changes his or her mind, over and over (Moon in Leo, sextile Mercury and Mercury square to Neptune)
* Gaining confidence, growing happiness, good fortune, luck, success, victory, achievement, style, glamour, bigness, and dynasty (Moon/Venus/Jupiter in Leo)
* Money, finances, big spending, big purchases, the attraction to things that are out of our means or price range, the subject of living within our means, budgeting, but also having fun, going all out, letting loose, and living large (Venus/Jupiter conjunction in Leo)
* What we're attracted to and what we attract, what we value, our taste, style, and possessions (Venus approaching shadow period and retrograde)
* Fuzzy thinking, illogical logic, vacillating constantly, idealism clouding our judgment, torn between two options, feeling our way through the fog, trusting that something larger than our rational mind is at work in a decision or fork in the road (Mercury square Neptune)
* The sharpness of the mind, the fierceness of words, thoughts, and ideas, the irritability of the intellect, the need for mindfulness in words and speech (Mars/Sun conjunction in Gemini)
* The culmination of the season, the light reaching its peak moment, the feeling of a major turn of momentum or focus...thing finally starting to roll...gain footing, move forward more clearly (Sun reaching summer solstice this weekend)
As we approach the summer solstice and the light of the moon is waxing, we should find that momentum is picking up and we're turning an energetic corner. We will start to feel where things are heading and a clearer picture of the rest of the year will come into focus. Much of this summer will have to do with deeper changes of value or different aesthetic transformations happening in one area of life or another. This will clarify itself as the direction finally starts to clarify itself, so the two will go together.
Prayer: as the path forward becomes clear, a new vision, with a new look and feel, is establishing itself...help me to put each new piece, each new shining object, in its rightful place.
The Moon is in Cancer today, applying to trine Neptune before opposing Pluto this evening. Meanwhile, as Jupiter in Leo trines Uranus in Aries we're seeing an interesting mix of symbols.
Regarding Jupiter in Leo we're seeing the subjects of pride, power, charisma, dignity, autonomy, will power, ego, brilliance, destiny, and specialness, as well as luck, fortune, victory, success, fame, and achievement.
On the other hand, Uranus in Aries brings subversive competition, diversification, fighting, belligerent rebelliousness, revolution, forward thinking, random mutation, experiences defiant to categorization, athleticism, violent attitudes, controversy, breakthroughs, dogmatic righteousness, and sudden awakenings.
So now take a look at one of the popular trending stories in the media. The story of Rachel Dolezal, the "white woman" who identifies as "black." Here we have issues of pride and prejudice, of forward thinking and ego, of subversion and destiny, of controversy and inflamed self righteousness. You can see all of these themes present in the facts of the story as well as the kinds of debates being had all over the internet and media. Regardless of what's right or wrong with any of it...on the archetypal level we might simply notice the presence of these themes right now, and we might take a moment to notice our own reactions, thoughts, or feelings. There are probably a fair amount of very good people who see a story like this and think, "this is ridiculous," while there are other very good people among us who would say, "this is important or fascinating."
Similarly, the story of Caitlyn Genner, the trans Olympic athlete, combines many of the same themes..especially the combination of athleticism, gender, competition, identity, pride, power, etc. Seeing her picture on the cover of Vanity Fair many good people cheered, while other good people said, "this is ridiculous and missing the point."
It's understandable that events like these are complicated. Also maddening. For example, a headline story on CNN today mostly ignores the complicated issues of identity while asking the seemingly more superficial question about how Dolezal got her hair to look like a black woman's? However, as Venus is currently approaching the Jupiter and Uranus trine, we have to consider the idea that this particular headline about her hair isn't JUST superficial. It's also Venusian.
This isn't just an issue of race if you're considering the planetary symbolism, in other words. It's about complexion. Complexion is the topography of beauty and appearance, the living landscape or ecosystem of the body, inside and out. Things are not always as they appear. Image. Identity. Race. Color. Gender. Perhaps the more rigidly we try to define or defend ANY kind of identity the more we invite the eventual deliteralizing of the category.
This isn't anything new. Here's a few examples of things you hear people say along these lines (regardless of if they are true or not):
* Our president, though black, feels white
* I feel like a gay man in a woman's body
* My skin is white but my soul is black
* I identify with ghetto culture, even though I didn't grow up in the ghetto
* I feel like a country girl even though I grew up in the city
* That black girl has been trying to be white ever since she was born
* I identify with Native American culture, even though I'm from New Jersey
We've probably all heard something like this in the past, but what are the ramifications? To some extent what we're learning is that things like race and gender are archetypal before and after they are literally connected to skin color or sex parts or literal men or literal women. This creates a bit of a conundrum for us. Because when it comes to defending our essential dignity, we're having to learn how to shift the idea of essential dignity to something beyond race, creed, color, gender, income class, etc, while also fighting for the rights of people still experiencing prejudice because of attacks directed toward them because of these very categories. So part of us wants to defend the essential dignity of these categories, while another part desperately wants to go beyond them all together.
Essential dignity is therefore (perhaps) best thought of in terms of the soul, the freedom and mystery of who we are that is always cloaked or veiled...never quite understood by literal identification with archetypes of any kind, but also always craving to be in relationship with archetypes of many kinds (and sometimes preferring some much more literally or concretely than others).
Similarly, in the astrology world we face the same problems all the time. For example, does the chart describe who we are objectively or does it describe patterns, potentials, or life events? The differences might seem subtle but the ramifications are big. If we think our birth charts are describing who we are, like a blue print, or an objective fact report, then archetypes might eventually feel like stereotypes and then we'll create an elaborate argument against archetypes when what we're really fed up with is the tendency to use archetypes in an objectifying manner.
Just like a Scorpio does and often does not want to be defined by, described by, or reduced to their Sun sign, black people, white people, feminine people, masculine people, straight people, bi people, trans people, do and don't want to be described by or reduced to these kinds of categories.
Point being that stereotypes are not always archetypal and archetypes are not always stereotypical. Race and gender (and all the other triggering categories) are and are not about the literal things they signify.
Archetypal astrology can play a big role in helping us work through the quagmire of these issues because its primary strength as a practice lies in its ability to remind us of the translucent and eternal pattern within the literal "thing" or "idea," but also of the literal thing, object, or 'fact' within the eternal image.
Prayer: Each one of us are caricatures of the things we think we are. We are and we are not these things. Help us to constantly see through the literalness of our pieces while also honoring our love for each one.
The Moon is in Pisces today, about to sextile the Sun in Taurus before going void of course for the rest of the day. Meanwhile, Mars is opposing Saturn, Mercury is slowing down to station, and Venus is moving into a trine with Neptune while it simultaneously squares the nodes of the Moon.
Most of the current aspects will really heat up after the new moon, once the moon starts waxing again. In the meantime, here's a list of what to watch for:
* Ideological, religious, or philosophical conflicts, competition, aggression, and negotiation (Mars in Gemini opp Saturn in Sagittarius)
* Dejavu and synchroncities increasing (Venus square the nodes)
* Psi and the paranormal, dreams, altered states, trouble sleeping (Venus trine Neptune while mars squares Neptune)
* Eruptions of family karma, family secrets, spying on family members, distrust, secrecy, conflicts in relationships, feeling embarrassed by our family or history (Venus in Cancer square the nodes of the moon and opposite Pluto)
* Foggy communication, hazy minded, tech problems, troubles getting organized or staying on task, complaints, whines, excuses, victims, psychosomatic tendencies, (Moon in Pisces and Mercury square Neptune)
* Rapid success, progress, luck, innovation, independence, grandiosity, and inflation (Jupiter trine Uranus)
* Discipline, law, twisting or bending the law, militarism, infighting, overcompensation for perceived weaknesses, (Mars in Gemini opp Saturn in Sagittarius)
* Revising beliefs, ideas, and philosophical commitments, walking the talk (Saturn retrograde in Sagittarius)
* Women's health, women's wisdom (Venus in Cancer)
* Mom's unconscious issues (Venus in Cancer opp Pluto in Capricorn)
* Going inward, releasing, losing energy, laying low, letting go (last phase of the moon before new again)
Prayer: Gentle and easy, support is all around us
The Moon is in Pisces today, applying to conjoin Neptune in Pisces by later this afternoon. Meanwhile, Mars has entered Gemini and is about to oppose Saturn in Sagittarius, while Venus in Cancer is steadily applying to oppose Pluto in Capricorn.
What to watch for:
* Flaking out, dreamy, romantic, escapist, delusional, imaginative, victimy, private, needy, sweet, moods and atmospheres (Moon/Neptune Pisces + Venus in Cancer)
* A family crisis or transformation brewing (Venus in Cancer moving to oppose Pluto in Capricorn)
* Conflicts with authority, my way or the highway, rules and respect, tradition, deviance, trickery, clashes of opinion, philosophy, ideology (Mars in Gemini opposite Saturn in Sagittarius)
* Sacrifice...what to sacrifice, how much or how little, why and for what, and the difference between transformation and losing ourselves (Neptune/Saturn/Mercury t-square)
* Words, language, communication, and learning more skill or tact when we feel angry (Mars in Gemini opp Saturn in Sagittarius)
* Projects, discipline, masculinity, restriction, muscle, mental battles, and focus (Mars opp Saturn)
* Taking our time, slowing down (Mars opp Saturn)
* A crossroads in a relationship because of a conflict of opinions or philosophies (Venus about to square the nodes, as ruler of north node, while Mars in Gemini opposes Saturn in Sagittarius)
* Getting taken advantage of in relationships or offering support to others, a fine line between the two (Venus trine Neptune)
* Selfishness with a history of mental defiance (south node in Aries with Mars in Gemini)
* Sudden, rapid, unexpected success, grandiosity, pride, ego inflation, victory, achievement, luck, and enhanced personal prestige or power (Jupiter in Leo trining Uranus in Aries)
* Technology or communication breakdowns, slow downs, confusions, mess ups, problems, or set backs (Mercury slowing down to station)
* Revising, editing, or negotiating a form of communication, a contract, an agreement (Mercury slowing down to station)
Prayer: Help us to move through this philosophical and communicative challenge slowly, mindfully, and openly...as much as we find our truth, let the truth of those we love find us.
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.