The Sun and Mars are still cazimi today, and Mercury is now in the sign of Virgo, moving into a long-standing opposition with Neptune.
Here's what to watch for...
Over the next few weeks, Mercury will move toward its first station within about two degrees of an opposition to Neptune. Mercury will turn retrograde on August 13th but will stay close to its opposition to Neptune for another week after that.
This transit will highlight the following themes over the next few weeks:
* Angelic messengers
* Messages from beyond
* Fuzzy thinking
* Deception, illusion, false facts
* Misrepresentation of the truth
* The need for clear and rational thinking
* The need to expand beyond obsessively logical or analytical thinking
* Revelation of hidden or secretive information or facts
* Gossip and its disintegrating effects
* Deals, negotiations, agreements, contracts dissolving, deceiving, or slowly falling apart or being backed away from
* Visions, dreams, and prophecy
* Communication breakdowns
* Communication and altered states
* Communication and transcendence
* Distortion in the media
* Sacred scripture, song, writing
* Codes, secrets, riddles, interpretation
Meanwhile, watch for these themes today with Mars still cazimi, at the heart of the Sun:
* Riding high
* The authority to act
* Being granted power by another authority
* Health, strength, muscle, power, clarity
* Clear heart and head, strong actions
* A decisive, bold sense of what's possible, of the future
* The peaceful warrior
* The decree, the mission, the vision worth working for
* The will and its proper use, submission, surrender, etc
* Standing your ground, peaceful knowing strength
* Executive privilege
* Staying power
* Determination and duration
* Loyalty to a cause
* Masters and emissaries, leaders and delegation
* Strength and energy and the need to learn how to hold/center our resources rather than disperse or spread them out too quickly or in too many directions
Meanwhile, today the Moon moves into Libra and makes a sextile to the Sun and Mars in Leo. This should provide support for the things we're looking for support from...even if there is some amount of compromise necessary, the harmony of the lights is always helpful!
Prayer: Speak to us in the secret words that will take us right out of our pain, our self-loathing, our disappointments or ambitions and right back into the simple contentment, and simple power, of your love.
Mars is cazimi with the Sun today and tomorrow.
Today an I Ching Meditation on Mars Cazimi:
* Hexagram 32 is called "Duration," or "Durability"
* The 32nd hexagram depicts thunder over wind. Thunder is above and wind below. The nature of thunder is action, disturbance, or arousal. The nature of wind when it's below thunder is to be comparatively gentle, constant, and yielding in contrast to the dominance of the thunder above.
* Mars at the heart of the Sun is seated on the throne of the ruler. The ruler fills Mars up with power and grants authority to Mars. At its best, Mars is temporarily like an empowered emissary, or messenger, of the wise, temperate, authoritative, and virtuous Sun.
* In life, any spiritual progress we might hope to obtain is not come by easily because it is not easy to "will" ourselves to spiritual progress. Everything else we want or desire in the material world we achieve by means of the will (Mars), but by contrast, we have a very hard time when it comes to conceptualizing what the notion of spiritual progress looks like and how it relates to the will.
* The use of the will in any spiritual practice has to do with showing up and asking, showing up and thanking, showing up and sacrificing, showing up and following, showing up and surrendering....but what is the most consistent in each of those statements above? Showing up. The appropriate use of the will in spiritual practice is found in the will to show up.
* If by showing up we mean arriving at spiritual practice in our spiritual Pantera t-shirts, pitchfork tongue screaming forward, steel-toed boots ready to rock, and our can of new age whoop ass clutched in our throttling white knuckled fist, then we've got the wrong idea.
* Showing up is takes courage, it takes strength, it takes stamina, but the heart of its power lies in devotion. In the pure and total allegiance in the heart, bringing the heart and mind together as one, focused toward our love for the divine. It is not the will aimed toward the divine like a bullseye we are trying to perfectly strike, but rather the bullseye we are trying to become, trying to prepare, over and over, so that we may be struck and struck again by the power of grace and love.
* Thunder above gives the picture of great power, disturbances, the calamity of the world, the calamity of our mind, the calamity of our lives...we don't really find what we're looking for when we go looking for inner lasting happiness in material things. We don't find them there because they are fleeting, impermanent, transitory, and unstable. The more we get identified with them the more we end up bending our knee in fear to the world and its power over us, or the more we become identified with the world's temporary powers and lord them over others. "And the thunder rolls..."
* The real use of the will in hexagram 32, a hexagram whose message is about the appropriate devotional use of the will, is that we are to become gentle within rather than identified with the power that expresses itself externally. The wind below the thunder depicts a different kind of constancy. It is the constancy that remains adaptable, modest, quiet, and subtle, within the powerful external movements.
* If we show up in life, each day, no matter what comes of our particular spiritual efforts, we are slowly teaching our will the most important lesson, which is the lesson of being led. We cannot lead if we don't know how to be led. We can't be led if we don't recognize that grace is more powerful than the will to progress. We can't achieve if we don't know how to receive because we won't know what is worth achieving.
* Hexagram 32 is a hexagram about how to achieve a breakthrough, as well. Breakthroughs come through showing up and refusing to leave until we are blessed. In order to show up, we just have to show up, in order to be blessed we have to release all expectations that we should be, that we know what blessed looks like, and that we will be happy once blessed. From this, we learn how to open our hearts and the blessings overflow, endlessly.
When Mars is seated on the throne it's easy to say, "I have the power now." But what a gift, what a blessing, what a surprise! to receive that power, to feel it, and to say the number one thing I would like to do is give this directly back so that this loving exchange might continue.
The ultimate blessing is when the showing up becomes the blessing itself.
Prayer: Help us to show up so that we might see you in the showing up...build within us an unshakeable durability of love, peace, patience, tolerance, and true kindness.
The waning Moon is exalted in Taurus today, applying to square Jupiter in Leo by this evening. We're moving through a comfortable time of closure and transition. There is perhaps a peace with what's happened, as well as a patience with what's to come. A slow and easy movement helping to mitigate a number of planetary factors that could otherwise be felt as stressful and chaotic. Are we able to tap into the Moon's benefic rays today? Sometimes it takes a little effort....sometimes relaxing and letting go of the stress paradoxically takes a particular kind of striving or a particular way of using our time or doing something that otherwise would be considered active and busy. Just like dogs seem to sleep deeper and they appear happier when they've spent a good portion of their day running around and exhausting themselves in an open field. Think about this as a metaphor for what's possible today...
Meanwhile, today we also have the unique cazimi of Mars. The exact alignment of Mars and the Sun, to within 17 minutes, puts Mars at the "heart of the sun." Further evidence that today might be a good day to successful begin or accomplish something. We might say that the ego and the personal will are aligning in such a way that our will can be helpfully guided along by what's in the best interest of our ego and its developmental story. Like the star of a movie who suddenly knows what he or she must do and is actually doing it, in order to further their best interests or their heart's true desire (imagine an audience getting excited by the actions of the protagonist).
We also might find our mind's unusually open to something new or different as Mercury has just moved direct and Mars is under the exact "heart" rays of the Sun.
How do the words "change of heart/change of mind" come into your world today?
We might also look at the Moon's approaching square to Jupiter in Leo and imagine that by this evening we'll be introducing or introduced to a potentially more theatrical or grandiose energy, which may feel at odds with the underlying pace, comfort, quiet, and conservatism of the Moon's late moments in easy going Taurus. Jupiter is trine to Uranus in Aries, and both are sextile to Mars and the Sun in Gemini, so it's possible that though some element of the environment tonight might feel disruptive, unpredictable, or over the top, the conflict will probably involve enough charm and excitement that we aren't knocked out of our rhythm. In fact a quick turn of plot may add something special to the overall transition taking place right now. The secret message might be to remember that you can't be taken out of your flow if you simply stay fluid with whatever arises. Remember the art of fascination and trust whatever disruptions arise.
Last but not least, as the Sun and Mars separate we're going to pass through a time of slowly learning to implement something. Patience, mindfulness, kindness, waiting, seeing, adapting, and opening ourselves to the direction of others will be on the menu for the next month or so as the Sun gains distance from Mars and Mars also travels through the watery sign of Cancer (the sign of its fall). If we're real foot on the gas pedal kind of people this will feel frustrating. If we can surrender our will to the energy of the moment then we're looking at a long, peaceful transition that will likely grant us a deeper emotional serenity.
Prayer: The darkening moon, the peaceful breeze, the trusting mind...a temple of serenity protecting our thoughts
image courtesy of creative commons: Trevor Hunter
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.