Mars is just about to enter the sign of Pisces, where it will move from being a house guest of Saturn to be the house guest of Jupiter. This is a significant change because Mars has been in Aquarius since the middle of May! Plus, just as Mars enters Pisces it immediately engages with Jupiter in Sagittarius, it's host, by a square.
Here's what to watch for:
* Mars arrives in Jupiter's sign and what does he want? Well, the God of war wants action, cutting, aggression, violence, hostility, and confrontation. But Mars also wants to advocate, guard, defend, protect, uphold, demonstrate valor and courage, and even die or be wounded in a just battle.
* So, the question becomes, how does Jupiter provide for Mars while Mars is in his feminine realm?
* Jupiter gives faith to the fight.
* Jupiter gives emotional bigness to the hostility.
* Jupiter gives wisdom and hope to the battle.
* Jupiter inspires and expands one's courage and valor.
* Jupiter makes the aggression more dramatic.
* Jupiter makes the cutting more explosive.
* Jupiter incorporates and includes those who are defeated, offering them the choice to join up!
* Jupiter adds arrogance and pride and emotional bigness to an already confrontational situation.
* Jupiter brings gifts through brothers, men, fighters, activists, and advocates.
* Jupiter provides faith for the armor.
* Jupiter brings teachers and wise people into conflicts.
* Jupiter offers teachings, doctrines, and beliefs up for competition in the arena.
* Jupiter offers the armor of faith and the visionary assurance to a martyr.
* Jupiter enlarges or aggrandizes one's sense of complaint or contention.
* Jupiter gives a holiness, or possibly self-righteousness, to the war.
Just as Mars enters Pisces, it immediately squares Jupiter, while Jupiter is in what was traditionally called the superior position. This also means that Mars will hurl a ray backward in the order of signs, strike Jupiter, and then Jupiter will overcome Mars. It's, therefore, sort of like a grudge match, intensifying all of the above themes in the next week. While it's likely that our better angels intervene (Jupiter is, again, in the Superior position here), providing greater wisdom, fortunate outcomes, and tempering the self-righteous and emotionally zealous qualities of this transit, we should be very careful of an upcoming surge of bravado in the days ahead.
On the other hand, this transit may provide a burst of enthusiasm and the return of whatever spiritual or emotional charisma that might have diminished over the Summer months while Mars was plodding back and forth in the loftier and more methodical Saturn-ruled sign of Aquarius.
Prayer: Bless us with the desire to serve, so that all of our actions, all of our enthusiasm, and all of our emotional intensity, might find its home in the forces of your love.
Mars is now moving into an engagement with Jupiter, which will perfect just as Mars moves into Pisces and over the same period of days in which Venus is stationing and turning direct and Mercury is also stationing and turning retrograde in Sagittarius, in a square to Neptune. Wow! It's an intriguing series of transits coming in the next 7 to 10 days as the Moon is also waxing and gaining strength!
What to watch for:
* Impassioned speech, ideas, rhetoric, debate
* Miscommunication and misperception
* Misdirection, cloaking, veiling, or concealing information
* Trying to overpower or stifle the opposition
* Excitement and enthusiasm that moves people to action
* Excitement and enthusiasm unchecked by reason
* Trying to manipulate people's emotions for the sake of a political, social, or financial agenda
* Crusading, visionary, fired up
* The truth, and attempts to avoid it
* Otherworldly communication, altered states of consciousness
* Messages in dreams, omens, myths, metaphors, and symbolic thinking
* * Big risks, big muscle, inflated Mars machismo
* Religious and spiritual inspiration
* Prophets and prophecy
* Magicians, tricksters, and sorcery
* Persuasive speech and the manipulation of people's fears, dreams, hopes, or wishes for the sake of personal gain
* Teachers that inspire and the shadows of teachers
* A call to put beliefs into action
* Self-sacrifice OR the temptation of self-sacrifice as an ego-gratifying exercise
* Giving and supporting something through strength, passion, vigor, and emotional excitement
With Venus turning direct, we are about to turn a corner and start moving forward again, especially in our relationships, and yet with Venus poised to make one final opposition to Uranus at the end of the month, and then another long sojourn through Scorpio to close out the year, and with a long Mercury retrograde to come (toned by the square to Neptune), the pretty picture we're painting in our heads right now could easily be disrupted and challenged in the weeks ahead. Whatever the temptation may be to reinterpret the facts more favorably, or to tell ourselves the stories we prefer to hear, our real motives will not be hidden from sight forever.
On the other hand, where there are open minds and open hearts, along with sincere enthusiasm, and the willingness to seek higher guidance and truth, opportunities for great service and collaboration, especially through the mind, communication, technology, ideas, learning, and writing, is coming!
Right when we are on the brink of a breakthrough, however, we have to be on guard against the temptation of backsliding or taking an easy way out from the work ahead of us...
Prayer: Help us to seek higher association. Help us to find our real allies, and give us real enthusiasm, the kind that serves rather than seeks only for itself.
We've just moved across the Summer Solstice, and the Sun has entered the sign of Cancer. Meanwhile, Mars is moving into a square with Jupiter.
* Mars is in the superior position with respect to Jupiter, combust the Sun, and in its fall, but is also in the exaltation of Jupiter.
* This means that Mars exerts a kind of forcefulness upon Jupiter but we might also say that Mars pays tribute to, or has respect for, Jupiter.
* Mars in its fall, under the beams, is an old mars, and a weakened mars...one who at the end of life recognizes his or her limits, the end of his or her power, dominance, control, or ability to manipulate or coerce emotionally.
* Mars may signify a pattern, whose time is up but who kicks and struggles before finally submitting in peace to what they know is best. It is painful to surrender.
* This particular "old" Mars may signify an attempt to insult, injure, harm, or shame someone or something younger, or to withhold some parting blessing.
* What happens when we no longer fear what happens if we don't serve something that isn't serving the love and peace in our hearts? Something loses power over us...and we find that the exact something that loses power over us, no longer given that power, can love us truly, sincerely, and may finally bless us rather than take from us.
* Mars in its fall, under the beams, exalting Jupiter may also symbolize the prayer of surrender. "I can't do this on my own. I've been so blinded by my attempts to master my problems that I've forgotten to ask you for help. I'm sorry. Please help me."
* What does it mean to be triumphant without triumph coming at the cost of another? What does it mean for justice to be done without resentment or self-righteousness?
* Mars square to Jupiter may signify the wisdom of a retired or retiring warrior. Mars square to Jupiter may signify battle, war, or conflict at sea.
* Mars square to Jupiter may represent the memorialization of a fight that no longer has to fight.
* Mars square to Jupiter says, "I can't do this on my own, but I am still going to make my best effort."
* Or Mars square to Jupiter says, "If I can't change the outcome, then the next best choice is to accept my circumstances and pray that my acceptance might be the planting of healthy new seeds for a different future."
* Mars square to Jupiter says, "If I can't make all the changes now, then help me to stay the spirits of frustration and impatience. Help me to take one step forward, whatever step makes the most sense for me right now. Help me find that next step."
* Mars square to Jupiter says, "I don't know how to get what I want in a healthy way?" or even, "Help me to know what the right needs are and how to feed only my healthiest needs."
* Mars square to Jupiter is violence done in the name of a twisted sense of justice, or fairness...vindictiveness, or revenge, or anger, masquerading as God's righteousness.
* An old and weakening Mars in square to Jupiter says, "Make me an instrument of your peace and justice in the world."
* Mars square to Jupiter has too much to prove, and potentially overstates its accomplishments.
* Mars square Jupiter says, "Don't let yourself be coerced. Follow your spiritual duties, first. And watch as the impossible becomes possible, and those who doubt or thwart you fall away."
Every one of our lives reflects both victory and justice, all the time, whether we feel or perceive it or not, in both the suffering and the joy.... because every one of our lives in its deepest sense reflects an unbreakable promise between our souls and God.
Prayer: Help us to stay the good course, and keep us safely concealed within the private victory and the secret justice of your love.
The dark moon is in Pisces today. Meanwhile, Mars is almost exactly square to Jupiter, while Venus continues its t-square transit with Saturn and Neptune.
What to watch for:
* The return of faith hope and optimism (Jupiter moving direct again)
* Hard fought victories and toughing it out (Mars/Jupiter)
* Financial obligations, responsibilities, and control over finances (Mars/Jupiter)
* Planning for the future (Mars/Jupiter)
* War, machismo, masculinity, adrenaline, courage, assertiveness (Mars/Jupiter)
* Ego competitions (Mars/Jupiter)
* Selfish/gluttonous levels of desire/ego (Mars/Jupiter)
* Slowly slogging through to the finish line (Mars/Jupiter)
* Victims, prisoner, martyrs, sinners, saints, sacrifices (Moon in Pisces)
* Emotional turbulence, sensitivity, psychosomatic (Moon in Pisces)
* The big picture, the end of a cycle (dark Moon in Pisces)
* Addiction, escapism, emotional eating, drugs (Moon in Pisces)
* Feeling inbetween worlds (Moon in Pisces)
* Immunity, sickness that's more than just a virus or infection (Moon in Pisces)
* Sexual infidelity versus commitment (Venus opposite Saturn)
* Differences of belief or value in relationships (Venus opposite Saturn)
* The attraction of the young to the old or vice versa (Venus opposite Saturn)
* Curiosity and mutliplicity versus commitment and monogamy (Venus opposite Saturn)
* The sacrifices of love, belief, and faith within relationships (Venus/Saturn/Neptune)
* Divine discontent, confusion, faith and doubt, longing (Venus/Saturn/Neptune)
* Creative vision, belief, and dialogue (Venus/Saturn/Neptune)
* Maturity versus youthfulness and the blurry lines between (Venus/Saturn/Neptune)
* Imaginative formulations..ideas taking shape, inspirations finding form (Venus/Neptune/Saturn)
* Deception, trickery, dishonesty, illusion, delusion, and self-deceit (Venus/Saturn/Neptune)
As we move through the dark moon, a powerful eclipse cycle is coming to its conclusion.
Prayer: May we see now the lessons of this cycle. Help us to receive rest and healing as we prepare to move beyond this gateway and into the next chapter.
image courtesy of creative commons: halfrain
The Moon in Capricorn is applying to conjoin Pluto and square Uranus today, before making its last quarter late tonight. As usual this hard turning point of our eclipse cycle is engaging the Pluto/Uranus square and therefore packs a cosmic punch!
Here's a list of what to watch for, along with planetary matches:
* Family/ancestral karma or patterns rumbling beneath the surface, or even erupting into plain view (Moon/Conj Pluto in Capricorn)
* The topic of elders, grandparents, and lineage or inheritance (Moon/Pluto in Capricorn)
* Work that's exhausting but also necessary (Moon in Capricorn)
* The subjects of necessity, coldness, achievement, and determination (Moon in Capricorn)
* The culmination of wisdom around a subject from the past (Moon in Capricorn/Saturn its ruler very slow and retrograde in Sagittarius)
* Inflammatory debates/topics/discussions (Pluto/Uranus activated by the Moon and the Sun conjunct Mercury in Aries)
* Renewing our faith (Jupiter direct)
* Remembering our faith (Jupiter direct)
* The love of discussion, conversation, information, and nervous stimulation (Venus entering Gemini)
* Falling in love over coffee/tea/chatting/email/online dating (Venus entering Gemini)
* Two sides to everything, the trickster (Venus entering Gemini)
* Disillusionment or questioning of a particular kind of faith/belief (Saturn slow/retrograde in Sagittarius and square to Neptune in Pisces)
* Fascination with money, power, greed, machismo, masculinity, muscle, and performance (Mars in Taurus square Jupiter in Leo)
* Unexpected breakthroughs, rebelliousness, resistance, individuation
* Windfalls, super highs and lows, financial crisis and breakthroughs (Mars in Taurus square Jupiter in Leo, now direct)
* Curiosity and sexual deviancy (Venus in Gemini)
* Polyamory, polygamy, the goddess in all her guises (Venus in Gemini)
* Feeling like you're out of the woods but that it's also going to take a longer time to be clear of something (Mars in Taurus square Jupiter direct in Leo)
The feeling that we're regaining faith, vision for the future, and confidence is on the rise, but there's also the distinct sense that it will take a lot of work and that the going might be slower than we wish.
Asking ourselves this question might help: "Would you really learn the deeper lessons of all of this if the turnaround was too quick or too easy?"
We can't learn how to preserve the good things in our life, the good values, the desired future, etc, unless we learn how to hold those desire lightly, free from too much expectation, control, or selfishness. This idea is one written in the stars right now...
Prayer: Let the good things come in time, let our attachment to their fruits live outside of time. May we savor rather than savior. May we taste our desires rather than be swallowed whole by them.
Image courtesy of creative commons: Elaine
The Moon is in Scorpio today, applying to oppose Venus in Taurus before going void of course.
What to watch for...
*Rebellious/eruptive/sudden/unexpected/inventive/exciting breakthroughs or outbursts, discoveries or revelations...especially in communication, writing, talking, emails, texts, etc (Mercury/Uranus/Sun conjunct in Aries, square to Pluto in Capricorn).
* Challenging ideas, debates, discussions (same)
* Competition, legacy, history, protest, personal rights (same)
* Beginning a project of creative self expression (same)
* Sexual tension/excitement/desire/erotica (Moon opposite Venus)
* Foreplay, extravagance, decadence, and desire (same)
* The feeling that everything should be handed to you or that everything should happen easily or naturally, without any work (same)
* Moodiness that destabilizes relationships or rains on a parade (same)
* A quickie (same)
* Conversations about finances, resources, time/energy management (same)
* Feeling sick and tired of feeling sick and tired (same)
* Lazy and sexy taking a naked nap (same)
* Violence and celebrities (Mars square Jupiter)
* Violence in the media/film/tv (same)
* Religious violence and holy crusades (same)
* Machismo, muscle, warriors, athletes, masculinity, testosterone, steroids, gangs, money, power, cowboys, and the violence only money can buy (same)
* Aggrandized egos, spending, poor winning/losing (same)
* Bull headed egoism (same)
* Accepting a challenge, pushing through to victory (same)
* A philosophical dilemma, weighs on the mind (Saturn barely moving/retro in Sagittarius)
* A revision of past beliefs (same)
* A new course of study or inquiry (same)
* Disillusionment with something once believed (Saturn square Neptune)
* Bridging the real with the ideal (same)
* Time/space/fantasy/illusion/imagination/science fiction (same)
* Divine discontent..boredom, longing, dreaming (same)
Whenever we read a list of so many different possible qualities happening all at once, we naturally ask ourselves, "How can they all be happening at once? Is there some way of summarizing it all? Some overarching purpose to all the different qualities?" And the answer to these questions is that the psyche is multifaceted. The solar system as a reflection of psyche is like a vast temple with many different sanctuaries, or a vast mansion with many different rooms. Some of these themes will be dramatically pronounced for some people while others will be for others. There's also always the possibility that despite whatever weather is going on around us, we're simply not seeing/feeling it that intensely. We make a mistake in thinking that astrology is "determining" things. The sky is more like a reflection of what's arising..the many different facets of psychic life currently expressing themselves and interacting with each other. But it's always "through a glass darkly" that we come to astrology. Knowing the weather patterns of the psyche, we can take comfort, feel the divine intelligence (even if it's still deeply mysterious), and make soulful choices.
Summing it all up is the great red herring of astrology...a wild goose chase of prophets and their v-formation followings. As long as we know that, then we can be creative with our summaries rather than prescriptive. So here's one of mine, but look at the patterns above and try one of your own!
A Prophetic Summary: We are rising to the challenge of a series of unexpected twists and turns. The invisible seamstress of fate has recently turned the plot inside out (to some degree), and now we're evaluating, taking stock, plotting a new course, gaining confidence and excitement, and gradually working our way out of the muck. This new vision will take time, though we'd like for it to be here now or we'd like for it to take care of itself without our hard work and effort. The new vision might be simpler in some ways, but we're considering the idea that despite it simple appearance, it's also the best thing that could have happened for us. We might still feel a little unsure, worried, skeptical or uneasy about the future at this moment....but we're working that out...one plodding day at a time.
Prayer: The invisible seamstress of fate...looking pretty good lady.
Image by courtesy of Hernan Pinera, at creative commons image licensing
Was sitting down to write my horoscope this morning and BOOM, the power went out. I sat there and suddenly it occurred to me, "Oh yeah, the Sun just conjoined with Uranus in Aries."
So if you're having a "Bam!" kind of day...then that covers it.
Otherwise here's some themes to watch for:
* Eruptive communication dynamics..power struggles, asserting ourselves, control issues in communication, communication and authority figures (Mercury conjunct Uranus/square Pluto)
* The feeling of a large creative shift or surge coming on..regaining our confidence, getting ready for a dynamic time of creative expansion, good feelings, expanded insight and wisdom (Jupiter stationing in Leo about to turn direct)
* The feeling of lethargy...lots to do but feeling heavy about it when maybe the work should be easier/lighter/freer (Mars trudging along in Taurus, though Venus is also in Taurus)
* Concerns/conversations/organization around finances/resources/home or family planning, time management, work loads, etc (Mars/Venus in Taurus)
* Conversations about values in relationships (matching/clashing--Mars/Venus in Taurus)
* The feeling of being sick of something, or just plain sick (Moon in Scorpio)
* Looking at sub or unconscious "stuff" (Moon in Scorpio)
* Secretive desires creeping into the mind/body (Moon in Scorpio)
* Family/ancestral/past karma related to finances/resources/health or lifestyle (Moon in Scorpio)
* A philosophical change underway (Saturn still very slow in Sag/retrograde)
* A new learning challenge (Saturn still very slow in Sag/retrograde)
* Revising or revisioning our spiritual outlook, teaching method, or course of study/discipline/practice (Saturn still very slow in Sagittarius/retrograde)
* The growing feeling of masculinity, achievement, muscle, pride (Mars applying to square Jupiter)
* Interest or fascination in machismo, alpha males, farmers, hard work, simple minded chauvinism or heroism, etc (Mars applying to square Jupiter)
* A growing or swelling pride/irritation with/testosterone/adventurousness/imperialism/conquest motif (Mars applying to square Jupiter)
So, if any or all of this sounds familiar, know that you live in a universe where part of everything is beyond your control, while the rest is a choose your own adventure game that never ends.
Prayer: fall on your knees in fear and overwhelm (turn to page 46), Climb a star tree to get a better view and then eat a sky apple and feel better (turn to page 101). CHOOSE 101!!!!
Image courtesy of creative commons:
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.