Venus is coming into a conjunction with Saturn in the next few days, just as Mercury is moving into a conjunction with Neptune.
What to watch for:
* Love, age, wisdom, maturity
* When serious, sober, and mature look beautiful
* Pagan, dark, exotic, mysterious, cold and deep
* Commitment in relationships, defining parameters or boundaries
* A moment of finality in relationships and love, a defining moment
* Older women and the beauty of age and time
* Love is hard, love is real, love is sobering
* Lonely and in love
* The crone
* Iron hand in a velvet glove
* Pain and beauty, suffering and elegance
* Solidifying or crystalizing something, admiring one's work
* The mastery of a craft or art, an artful lover
* Attraction to earthy, pagan, alien, or outsider art
* The exclusivity of beautiful people, the exclusive, wealthy, and traditional
* The boundaries or walls that keep something beautiful but also repress or strangle it off
On the other hand, Mercury/Neptune...
* Lost in unreal thoughts
* Romantic reveries
* Whimsical daydreams
* Imagination and altered states
* Transcribing the ineffable
* Secrets and subtle energies
* Flow states
* Deception and intoxication
* Persuasion and mental/emotional manipulation
* The comprehension of vast or complex ideas in sudden, fluid openings of the mind
* The need of the mind to transcend the rational, mundane, or literal
The two sets of planets are also in a sextile with one another, which brings harmony to these combined planetary archetypes. This morning when I cast the I Ching about this complex sextile, I received the 35th hexagram of the I Ching, which is called "aspiration," and it depicts the gathering of forces in order to accomplish something that can't be done alone. The 50th hexagram is called "The Cauldron," and it depicts a beautiful sacrificial cauldron, that is used to honor the gods with sacrifices. The Cauldron is also an image of the venerating of people who manage to bring others together for a common purpose, aiming their minds at something higher.
The potential to build something beautiful, something of enduring, solid, earthly value is therefore pronounced right now. But we can't do it alone. We need the help of others. Venus/Saturn is the bond, the agreement, and the common goal among friends, colleagues or lovers. It is the solidness of the cauldron, and the religious and spiritual legacy it points us toward. Mercury/Neptune is the voice calling us to unite behind the common vision or to find unique ways of getting the work done. It is also the sacrifice and the Mercurial substance within the cauldron.
Prayer: Give us a taste for something higher, and help us find those kindred spirits who crave the same sweetness from you.
Mars is in Aries, about to conjoin Uranus, and Mercury is about to enter Pisces where it will stay for a long time, in its fall and exile, hopping around back and forth a whole bunch with Neptune...
(What the bored astrologer considers writing before creating a very spiritually centered post):
* I'm going to say and do some stupid stuff in the next few days. Everybody is.
* I don't like anyone on social media right now. We're all completely insufferable.
* If anyone tries to pick an online fight or have a debate, we can at least trust that nobody will have the facts right and that stupid people will be gathering very quickly like a flash mob.
* We're about to behave like a two-year-old but our words might resemble a 6-month-old.
* Well, someone's going to get electrocuted.
* Crashes, injuries, sudden violence...and then a frenzy of aimless political spin? Okay, I can't write that, it's too dark and it doesn't really sound like any other day of the week...
* There is a Skid Row concert happening in the sky in the next few days, but they'll be performing on the backs of Star Ponies.
* Every time a mystical moment occurs or synchronicity happens in the next few days the gnarly guitar notes from Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure should ring out in the air...
* People will experience major personal breakthroughs...MAJOR BREAKTHROUGHS...that are. not. real.
Okay, but for real, it's an electric, fiery, unpredictable and erratic meeting between the God of War and the God of Revolution, so watch yer butts. Mercury's change of sign also suggests that we may not be seeing everything clearly, so be discerning and patient in the days ahead. The potential for emotionally impulsive and erratic "activities" is upon us...but so too is the potential for some interesting epiphanies and originality!
Prayer: Well, give us a sense of humor along with the patience, discernment, and courage needed to bear with ourselves.
Mercury is applying to an opposition with Neptune today, and meanwhile, Jupiter is squaring Pluto.
Here's what to watch for:
First, Jupiter and Pluto...
* Pardoning, being pardoned
* Forgiveness, acceptance, tolerance
* The compromise between rules, discipline, doctrines, or tradition, and tolerance, grace, fairness, and equanimity
* Pardoning as an escape, forgiving as allowing something that shouldn't be allowed, forgiveness as avoidance
* Exposing dogma, intolerance, or severe thinking
* The karma of harsh thinking
* Getting what we deserve or can we ever deserve anything we get?
* Carefully weighing options, looking below superficial appearances
* Taking the plank out of our own eye before picking the splinter out of someone else's
* The failure to live up to our own standards, the transformation of our ideals or beliefs into living examples, the difficulty of it
* The exposure of a system or organization's unfairness
* The wisdom or insight of defeat
* Punishments that truly fit crimes vs those that do not
* The twisting or manipulating of rules, customs, or traditions under the banner of a seemingly good cause
* The corruption of rules, customs, or traditions, and the need to adjust our understanding in order to get back to the essential goodness or core of something
Next, Mercury and Neptune...
* The exaggeration of the mundane...normal, everyday things seem unbelievably boring, dead, dry, cold, lacking imagination, mystery, depth, or spirit
* The exaggeration of the spiritual...every last thing is suddenly a message, a sign, a spirit, a synchronicity, a riddle, a code, a dream, a vision, transcendent, romantic, or deeply imaginative
* The mundane is suddenly alive with something numinous
* The fantasy comes back down to earth a little
* We delude ourselves into believing something, an excuse, that leads us astray, may come from a voice that is suddenly trying to convince us of something very specific
* We become what we believe
* Our voice, our mind, our thoughts, are preoccupied with something divine, or possibly tired or disillusioned with something spiritual
* When we grow tired of something sacred or spiritual, it's tempting to feel as though we've been deluding ourselves to believe something that isn't real or something that isn't really "there, there," but these periods of time, of great doubt, or great tiredness with the spiritual path, are normal. They hold us accountable to the reality of what it means to walk a spiritual path through all seasons of life, and they also provide us with an opportunity to deepen our faith by continuing to walk the path even when the mind of our faith has no "reason" to do so, or cannot conjure images or ideas of why the path is better than some other path. We can learn to see these periods of great doubt or spiritual tiredness as moments where our faith is becoming something quieter, something solid, simple, foundational, and unmoving. If we only practiced our path when we believed, when we were ecstatic or excited, when we were healthy and full of energy, then we would be mistaking divinity for belief, divinity for energy, divinity for excitement or enthusiasm or personal efforts alone. Divinity goes beyond all of these things, and so we too must be brought beyond our "reasons" to believe or our "enthusiasm" for what we believe. We must discover again and again, that God is in everything, waiting for us to learn how to see clearly...present even in our tiredness, disillusionment, doubt, self-deception, and exaggeration.
* We often grow disillusioned with something when we recognize that our efforts and energy can no longer sustain it. However, in just such moments there is often an opportunity to discard the notion that it has ever been US sustaining or making something happen in the first place. This simple insight, which is actually more of an offering, is the beginning of forgiveness and grace, and it is a critical part of how our spiritual "efforts" become submissive to the divine, rather than continually dressing our efforts up in the costume of spirituality until they become exhausted and cast off again.
Prayer: Teach us to find your perfect will for our lives in precisely those moments and times when we feel too tired, disillusioned, or doubtful to continue on our own steam.
This morning the Sun enters its own sign of Leo. Sunday morning a new Moon with Mars in Leo, ushering in a powerful, martial, and transformative next Moon cycle.
Here's a preview of what we will see in August as eclipse season begins.
New Moon with Mars:
The new Moon cycle that kicks off another eclipse season starts with the Sun in its own sign, swallowing Mars. Mars is being born again right now, and so there is a certain aura of rebirth in the air. The next cycle will be toned by the final collapse of Mars and then its first breaths of new life. Because Mars is related to anger, willfullness, aggression, and desire, as well as courage, strength, and sticktoitiveness, it's natural after a long sojourn in the Moon's sign to feel somewhat exhausted, tired, depleted, or drained. These periods of time remind us that we are not the doer of actions, we are not the authors of fate or destiny. Any and all actions are bound and "necessary," as soon as they are taken because they are taking place within a realm of cause and effect. Therefore, we easily misidentify our real freedom, our real nature, with our actions and their results. Seeing Mars fail, in the simplest sense, we are reminded that we are not our actions. The best use of our actions is, therefore, the constant surrender of the fruits of our actions, as in a love sacrifice back to the divine. Sometimes the universe forces us to make that sacrifice, and other times the breakdown brings us there with a spirit of joy, thanksgiving, and willing surrender. Either way, frustration, when exhausted, becomes a doorway back to the freedom of pure and reflective consciousness.
It's actually good to feel frustration...our only task is to stick with it until it blesses us, and that blessing is available to us as Mars is born again this week!
Next moon cycle we have two eclipses, a lunar eclipse on August 7th and a solar eclipse on the 21st. The media is already calling August's solar eclipse, "The Great American Eclipse." If America were a patient in Jungian therapy right now, then the naming of this event by the media would be like a very potent lucid dream or unconscious slip of the tongue, ripe to be explored. These eclipses will shake the foundations of our leadership, in all likelihood, because they are taking place in the sign of the Lion, but they also feature the outcast, the outsider, and the marginalized ideal of Aquarius. Jupiter will be square to Pluto most of the month and will then be moving swiftly back toward its grand finale opposition with Uranus in September/October. We are at a critical mass point within the US political landscape and global politics in general. These eclipses, along with Jupiter, Pluto, and Uranus tightening up again will start catalyzing major breakthroughs. Unfortunately, it's very possible that these breakthroughs could involve all kinds of distractions and attempts to thwart or block the process of justice. We will spend plenty of time looking at this in the weeks to come.
Personally, these eclipses, especially the total solar eclipse of August 21st, will open up powerful opportunities for closure and renewal in our lives. We'll talk more about how to identify how and where they might be effecting us personally in the weeks to come.
Mercury Opposite Neptune:
Over the upcoming weeks, Mercury will also enter in another prolonged aspect with an outer planet as it stations to turn retrograde again. Last time it was Uranus (back in April), now it is Neptune. Mercury will oppose Neptune for several weeks, as it also tunrs retrograde. This transit will tune us into other worlds, get us in touch with the voices of angels, and also teach us the difference between something real and something based in delusion or fantasy. The transit will also compel us to be honest and open, objective and authentic, while also spiritualizing our minds, our communication, and our way of communicating with the world in general.
Venus helping create a Grand Cross:
Venus will get into the mix of the Jupiter/Pluto square, effectively triggering a loose grand cross in the midst of eclipse season. This month should just be called "the nutso bonkers astrology month of 2017." I don't even know what to say, somewhere in the midst of all of this the goddess is coming to lunch with the rest of the astrology. She will bring powerful levels of change to our relationships, significant opportunities for diplomacy or new allegiances, the importance of the voice of women, the environment, and the sacred feminine within the justice and political systems, etc.
Jupiter/Saturn sextile with reception...
Yeah, that too...
Get your cosmic popcorn, August is going to be one to remember!
Prayer: Salt and butter us with your love, and may this theater of absurd astrological events remind us that who we are is not the rising and falling of empires or the turning tides of so much insta history...who we are radiates evenly through the entire ebb and flow of this cartoon we call time, and even beyond. :-)
The Moon is in Aries today, engaging the Pluto/Uranus square and also making a trine to Saturn in Sagittarius. Meanwhile Mercury is conjoining Neptune.
Here's what to watch for:
* The ghost in the machine (Mercury/Neptune)
* Omens, powerful synchronicities, hidden messages (Mercury/Neptune)
* Lucid dreaming, spirits, seeing through the veil (Mercury/Neptune)
* Delusions, illusions, intoxication, confusion (Mercury/Neptune)
* Communication from another realm or world (Mercury/Neptune)
* Highly imaginative or intuitive forms of communication (Mercury/Neptune)
* Slips of the tongue, deception, secrets, lies, hiding things (Mercury/Neptune)
* Suggesting, encoded, encrypted conversations (Mercury/Neptune)
* Fantasies, daydreams, nightmares, and their meanings (Mercury/Neptune)
* Longing or yearning for something but having to hold it in or hide it because it's not obtainable or practical (Mercury/Neptune)
* Gossip, plotting
* Meandering, disjointed thoughts or dissociated people
* Connecting with spirit guides or omens/signs in nature (Mercury/Neptune)
The Mercury/Neptune dynamic has been intensifying over the past few days. In fact, yesterday a natural gas leak caused an explosion that leveled the "Neptune Coffee" shop. This is a strange omen that pertains both to natural gasses, explosions, water, caffeine, etc. Yesterday I sat down to begin a very strange horary chart and just as I began the internet mysteriously went down in my house. When I called Verizon they said, "Huh, that's weird, there's some kind of static on the line at your place." I got that feeling like it meant something, and as a friend of mine said who had a similar experience yesterday, "the hair on the back of my neck stood up as though indicating the presence of a spirit." Regardless of whether it meant anything or not, I recognized the Mercury/Neptune in Pisces symbolism pretty quickly.
Meanwhile watch for these themes from the Moon today:
* Fiery, impulsive, action oriented, aggressive themes or atmospheres (Moon in Aries)
* The theme of revolution (Moon/Uranus), explosive change, unpredictable or destabilizing events, innovation, Promethean anger, demanding change (Moon/Uranus)
* Confronting, disclosing, revealing, subversive information or things that are festering (Moon/Pluto)
* A strong/bold/conservative statement, conclusion, assessment (Moon/Saturn)
* A brave plan that one has to stick to from start to finish (Moon/Saturn)
* A spring like desire to move forward, blaze a trail, start something new, move the body, etc (Moon in Aries)
As the eclipse energy is moving through our lives we might begin noticing new doors opening, or even a new feeling permeating our moods and perceptions. Because this eclipse happened in Pisces there is a gestational quality to this eclipse cycle. We might feel like we're sitting on the edge of something we can't quite name...something whose shape we are just starting to see but whose form is still largely invisible. Watch for these things to come into full focus in the next few weeks as we move toward Spring Equinox and the lunar eclipse.
Prayer: Help us to see gently through the veil...to hear the voice of our guide, gently nudging us toward something new, the tide slowly turning
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.