Happy New Moon Everyone!
I'm leaving town today on a yoga retreat and will be out of cell/wi-fi range until the weekend. In the meantime, I've prepared some written thoughts about the big lineup of transits happening this week, plus I've made four short videos, one per transit, that you can watch on my YouTube Channel this week (see comments section for links).
New Moon in Libra (October 8th/9th):
* This New Moon lands in Venus' sign and is in a close square to Pluto. With Venus retrograde in Scorpio, this Moon cycle is going to be about making important judgments, comparisons, and evaluations, perhaps especially in relationships. How open are we to the values, ideas, or beliefs of others right now, and how open are we to being transformed by others? Do we only ever expect that others conform or change for us, or do we tend to be the only person making changes for others? These questions will be featured.
Meanwhile, it's also a great time to see how we are measuring up to the standards we set for ourselves. How close to we come to making our own grade? Are our expectations too high, not forgiving enough, or too low, and potentially lazy?
Finally, if we're honest with ourselves and honest with others, then it is possible to plant the seeds of deep and lasting changes in our relationships right now. This is the promise of an intense, Plutonian flavored New Moon with its ruler, Venus, also retrograde in the Mars-ruled sign of Scorpio.
Mercury Opposite Uranus (October 9th/10th):
* The planet of intelligence, communication, technology, messages and messengers will oppose the planet of rebellion, disruption, and innovation this week, suggesting that we might be on the brink of an intellectual or communicative breakthrough, or we may feel the need to raise our voices, so to speak, especially for whatever we believe to be most progressive or "radical." Of course, given the rest of the planetary action right now, it's likely that these breakthroughs will come in our relationships.
If we think that judging, analyzing, comparing, evaluating, deconstructing, or thinking our way to truth is a long-term solution for a spiritual problem, we are sorely mistaken. This transit has the power to provide us with an intellectual or mental breakthrough that is in service to our spiritual life, and to spiritual activities. When our mind is in service to spiritual life, it is happy. When the mind is given the task of BEING the full extent of our spiritual life, we're in trouble. A spiritual life without intelligence is hollow, and intelligence without a spiritual life tends to be guarded or even paranoid.
Venus Square Mars (October 9th/10th/11th):
* The goddess of love and the god of war are in a grudge match this week, just as Venus is turning retrograde. Venus is in the superior position, putting great pressure on Mars within this time of creative conflict and tension, but Venus is also in Mars' sign, in her detriment, which means that Mars has some power over her, as well.
Can we seek understanding rather than victory? Can we seek to be changed as much as we long to change others? Can we open our hearts to a new way of existing within our relationships? Can we imagine that conflict is not always bad? Can we see the endless turning of these opposites and learn to see something beyond them?
In Greek mythology, Mars and Venus (Ares and Aphrodite) were adulterous/forbidden lovers. Can we snatch some defeat from the jaws of our victories, just enough to keep us in love with what comes next, with what came before, with what lies beyond? Can we snatch just a little bit of victory from our defeats, recalling that love is the only thing at stake and yet it is always available, open, and free?
Finally, the Sun will Square Pluto (October 11th):
The ego, the ruler, the leader, the King or Queen, the CEO, and the paternal are being transformed. Our sense of purpose, ambition, and action, are changing. We have an opportunity to be enlightened, but it will require humble submission before the forces of the unconscious.
Also, what is the balance between our "ideals" and the gritty, earthy, reality of the world we live in? When is nice just a bunch of phony and when is gritty and difficult actually substantive and helpful? On the other hand, where do we need to soften, yield, and learn to become more diplomatic? Where are we being asked to put our ideas to work in the world or to conform to a higher standard? These questions and more will be highlighted, as well.
A lot! Be sure to check out my short videos on each, as well.
Prayer: Be our friend, so that our minds may befriend. Be our ideal, so that our ideas may serve you. Be our companion, so that our relationships may give you the dearest company.
Happy New Moon in Libra everyone! Today's new Moon falls in an opposition to Uranus.
Here's what to watch for given the tone set by this New Moon.
* The cycle begins with liberation and revolution, defiance, and breakthrough. Think the beginning of something new meets the choice to take a risk, to defy authority, to go against the set tradition, or to break the rules.
* The month ahead may also feature contention and radically opposed views meeting head to head in battle.
* It's also important to be on guard against the temptation to react, fight, and struggle for position or power. This cycle may easily goad us into expressions of anger, rebelliousness without a real cause, or overcompensation. For example, on my way home from taking my daughter to the Aquarium this afternoon a road raging man literally tried to pin me off to the side of the road because I wouldn't accelerate beyond 5 mph over the speed limit in a residential neighborhood. His anger tempted me to respond with the same belligerence, but thankfully I didn't.
* This cycle may also begin with shocking news, exciting news, liberating news, or disruptive news. This cycle is echoing the Jupiter/Uranus opposition very strongly, just as the seeds of the new cycle are being planted!
* As this month's cycle unfolds the Sun will shortly enter Scorpio and conjoin Jupiter. When the Sun is this close to a conjunction with Jupiter it means that Jupiter is near the end of his life. This symbol can be literal, and refer to Jupiter in Scorpio figures, older/wiser men/women or Jupiterian figures, or older/wiser Jupiterian figures passing away. But it can also represent metaphorical death within whatever area of your chart Scorpio rules or within whatever house you have the first few degrees of Scorpio.
* An old Jupiter in Scorpio is like drawing the death card along with the star card, applied to a particular area of life. There is death and endings and the pain of loss moving into this new cycle... but also miracles, clear messages, guiding lights and writing on the wall.
* Given all of the above, it's likely that we will also see these themes at play in the ongoing political and cultural battles in the US and abroad. We may see bigger political firings with this dying Jupiter in Scorpio, or important endings, or even the death of famous or historic people.
* With Jupiter and Mercury co-present in Scorpio and Mercury moving toward its evening star position we may also see the emergence or sudden appearance of important/hidden information. News, messages, or information that has been hidden or kept behind closed doors, may find its way into the public eye or may come into our conscious awareness as the month unfolds.
With Jupiter in Scorpio, it's incredibly important to remember that who or what we go to war with, even when our cause is "just," can easily become the source of self-righteousness, vindictiveness, anger, pride, and ego-inflation. Jupiter in Scorpio is sometimes the arrogant warrior or the streak of anger, jealousy, rage, and vengeance within a just cause. Even the wisest and noblest of warriors have to be on guard against the snares of the ego.
Prayer: Teach us the way of the peaceful warrior, the postures of the guardians of compassion. Teach us to battle with our own demons...and to name them with the same tone of voice that we use when we call them out of others.
New Moon! New Moon! New Moon!
A new Moon opposite Uranus in Aries today, with Mercury now direct, and with a Mars/Jupiter conjunction approaching. It's time to GET. SHIT. DONE. This cycle opens with a bang, and it's all about doing what we know we have to do, in the most tactful and diplomatic way possible. We can't go where we need to go or accomplish what we're here to accomplish in life without ruffling some feathers. And even if we feel deeply troubled by the responses we get from others at this time, it's important that move forward with confidence in the direction we know in our hearts to be right for us at this time. Diplomacy is a process of meeting others' needs as we meet our own. Cooperation and team work including rooting out the tendency to either take all the credit or point the finger too intensely. Team work is a habit of perception that is built by sharing the wealth of our decisions, the results of our actions, and the process of problem solving. When we take all the credit or distribute all the blame, we stand very little chance of sustaining anything in the long run. All of these issues might be pronounced at the time of this new moon, or over the course of the next day or two.
Also, watch for big announcements or the implementation of new systems of organization or insight to present themselves. Whatever came to us through Mercury's retrograde might be ready to integrate itself in some area of our lives...a new contract, a new model or system, a new thought or perception, a new agreement or relationship...watch it get started shortly.
Another crucial component of the upcoming cycle has to do with identity. What are we currently seeing about ourselves that wasn't so visible to us until recently? Have we experienced some jolting insights or revelations about our character or personality? Has there been a call to change something or pay more attention to how we effect other people? The Sun/Uranus opposition can jolt our ego to life and bring something important to our attention.
Meanwhile, with three planets in Virgo right now we might be feeling the call to clean, purify, organize, or technically master our environments or a particular subject or skill. The potential for a kind of puritanical "judgy" quality to effect our relationships is also quite strong right now, so we should be careful of that as well. Otherwise, if we are being called to make substantive lifestyle or value changes it's a good time for it...so long as we're not being too prudish or extreme in our reasoning or actions.
Last but not least, with Venus and Mercury in mutual reception right now, but Venus in her fall we have to be especially careful that whatever we're working out with others, or whatever debates or challenges we're facing with each other, we remember to look at our own shortcomings before we judge people. The "plank versus splinter" lesson is very much indicated by the reception of Mercury and Venus right now....to the point where each time we start to judge someone else, or knit pick, we might choose to perceive it as an exact instruction for what we might work on ourselves!
Prayer: Each time we criticize, help us to speak as we'd like to be spoken to, and help us to consider that we can't demand more from others than we expect from ourselves...
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.