* Not everyone is aware of the fact that when the Sun is just about to conjoin Mars, Jupiter, or Saturn, those superior planets (superior = slower than the Sun) are considered to be symbolically "old," as they near the end of their cycles. Sometimes they are also thought of as sick, due to being under the beams of the Sun, invisible to us. Once the Sun conjoins Jupiter in the next week the cycle begins again and Jupiter is newly born!
* Many people are also not aware that Mercury just separating from a conjunction with the Sun, in direct motion, is considered "young." It is at the very first stages of its cycle, which is equated with spring and youth (similar to the early waxing Moon).
* When we take into account the phasal symbolism of these planets what do we get? We get a young Mercury moving through a conjunction with an old Jupiter.
* What might this mean? Well, first remember that Mercury and Jupiter are planetary contraries. Mercury is the master of argumentation and debate, and Jupiter likes to make larger wholes, confirm, and say "yes." Sometimes we think of the two as representing growing something bigger or taking something apart, other times faith and skepticism, synthesis vs. analysis. There are many other ways of comparing the symbolism of these two planets, but this should put us in the ballpark.
* Once we have this established, then we can see that we have a young, inquisitive Mercury and maybe an old wise sage, traveling together in the sky right now. Or, we have a wise sage speaking with youthful vigor. Or we have a young upstart Mercury questioning or maybe goading an old Jupiter. Or we have the marriage of a young perspective with an old perspective. We might also see the attraction or marriage between the old and the young, or between rational skepticism and faith and dogma. We could see the invitation of youthful exuberance, ideas, and criticism into a traditional or older model, or we might see the wise elder offering simple guidance to the eager but skeptical young apprentice.
* Play with the young Mercury and the old Jupiter and see what you come up with. Notice, too, that this old Jupiter is becoming acute. The old professor is near the end of her legacy. The old sage is on his deathbed. A new star is about to be born. Meanwhile, this young Mercury is emerging after an intimate connection with this old Jupiter or some kind of close contact with whatever Jupiter represents.
* If you've had an experience like this lately or see something like this developing in any area of your life, share your story. I'd love to see how the symbolism is showing up in the lives of my readers!!
Prayer: Bring the old and the young together, bring the careful question and the wise answer into a union. Teach us to listen before we ask and to listen after we ask so that we might really understand.