Happy Solar Eclipse!
What to watch for:
* Solar eclipses open doors and bring powerful new beginnings. Sometimes these beginnings are felt right away and other times they take a while to appear. Look specifically at the first 10 degrees of Pisces in your birth chart, or to the house that Pisces rules for a more specific sense of where this new energy might be appearing.
* This solar eclipse is aligned with Neptune, which brings along with it a powerful imaginative, romantic, and otherworldly thrust of energy. Where there are overly rigid boundaries, watch them dissolve. Where there are healthy boundaries, protect and stay the course. Where you are longing or craving for something more, pay attention and don't neglect. Where you are insatiable, where nothing will do, turn within and find the intangible wellspring.
* Today/tomorrow the planet Mars conjoins Uranus in Aries, and both are now very close to an opposition with Jupiter in Libra. Watch for continued surges of powerful energy. These are breakdown/breakthrough kinds of dynamics. Impulsive. Reckless. Brave. Dialed-in. Headstrong. Bucking tradition. But also quick to react, temperamental, divisive, bullying, and confrontational.
* Where are the checks and balances? What is due process and what is an abuse of laws, codes and rules. When do we try to use rules to our advantage, where do we bend rules or laws, and where should we stick to the letter of the law?
* Is there such a thing as karma? When will it kick in and help us out or tear us down? How healthy is it to live within this kind of paradigm at all?
* Where do we need a revolution in our thinking, a paradigm breaking experience, or a moment of lucid awakening? How forceful does a message need to be right now?
* How do we revise existing systems, relationships, or plans, and what constitutes a real revolution? How do we know what will lead to actual or authentic change or progress when envisioning a new path forward? How much should we look before we leap?
Prayer: Dear Universe. Eclipse us!
Mars is separating from Pluto but now applying quickly to a conjunction with Uranus and opposition with Jupiter, just as we're approaching a solar eclipse on Sunday and the Jupiter/Uranus opposition is exact again.
Here's a deeper look at some of the powers symbolized by the current planetary configurations and some thoughts on how we might work with what's here:
* With Jupiter retrograde in Libra as a powerful planetary player right now, it's possible that we are being called to task for previous actions or arrogance. If you find that you are facing authority figures, laws, codes, rules, or any kind of disciplinary/performance-based review, it's important to look inward right now. Justice doesn't necessarily require that we suffer penalties...but Justice does require that we adjust our internal attitude. Justice asks us to learn something. Justice asks us to respect due process. Justice asks us to learn to be in harmony with cosmic law, truth, order, and wisdom. And with Jupiter in Libra moving backward, we are in a time of review. Calling on your guides and better angels, calling on the divine forces to evaluate you with grace, dignity, and compassion, and opening your heart to correction, goes a long way right now, and it invites mercy from all figures of judgment.
* With Uranus in Aries, along with Mars, we are also being forced to awaken our senses, mind, and body at a deeper level. These planets together act like strokes of fire, lightning, and electricity rocketing out of the ethereal realms. These planets jolt and drive through us until a clear opening appears. Because these energies are opposite Jupiter in Libra, the process of justice right now is swift, immediate, tense, and pivotal. It's an incredibly important moment to call for protection and to ask for patience and clarity. The outer planetary influences sometimes feel impersonal, especially Uranus in a cardinal sign like Aries. But in some ways that's the exact medicine we need right now. The point is that if we don't recognize the qualities above and we get swept up in them, it's a lot harder to receive their guidance. If we are shocked into a pattern of action and reaction, constantly, we will certainly learn and grow, but the growth will tend to happen in a way that is less conscious. Whatever is less conscious we tend to experience as external to us, happening "to us," rather than in and through us.
* With Pluto also in the mix, the "sense of fate" is an integral part of our experience right now. We tend to mistakenly debate within ourselves, in our heads, about how much free-will we have versus how much fate's hand is controlling everything. Pluto's perspective, the underworld perspective, calls us to consider everything from the vantage point of the soul, which is death. As long as we stay fixed to the image of birth, as long as we associate our lives with birth, we tend to live regressively and therefore the future is constantly something we are trying to take back with us into the womb. We demand that the future be entirely open, indeterminate, and entirely dependent upon our choices or will power, as though we live in a permanent and potential state of gestation.
But death isn't a choice. Death is a necessity. All things die. And when we live toward the soul's meaning, we live toward its inevitability. The question shifts from "what will I create with all these endless possibilities?" to "how will I choose to experience all these inevitabilities?" Pluto teaches us the value of living our lives with a view on the future that is moving toward death and the endless mystery of the soul.
Failure, misery, inevitability, impermanence, and pain, these are not the friends of a radically indeterminate future, rooted in the image of birth. But both perspectives are co-present in our consciousness. It's not a matter of which one is right, it's the basic fact that they both exist in consciousness that matters. I think for example of the recent film, "The Arrival," which plays on the themes of precognition and death. Developing pre-cognitive ability is something rooted in birth. It starts with the open possibilities of the future and our genesis, the divinatory or ritual starting moment we might say....but as we learn to see into the inevitabilities of the future, our consciousness narrows or focuses on it, like a keyhole, which in turn leads us back to the present and puts a question to us: how will you choose to live and experience this inevitability? A circle come round on itself. A keyhole vision of the future that is also the key itself. And this is why the aliens in the film used non-linear scripts...sentences that read from both ends toward the center at once.
That might seem like some far out philosophy, but if you sit long enough with all that's happening you will recognize the one within yourself who has seen this, known this, and sensed these inevitable events all along. The question we are all faced with right now, in the honesty of this inevitable moment is, "how will I walk through this valley?" "What forces and qualities of consciousness will I call upon to walk with me?"
Prayer: Your rod and staff, they protect and comfort us.
Annnnnd Mercury is retrograde! Solar Eclipse tomorrow morning.
Here's what to watch for:
* Sometimes right before a solar eclipse, in the dark moon time preceding, there is an ominous feeling in the air. It might be heavy, dark, sad, or foreboding, or it might be anticipatory like the calm before a heavy rainstorm. Either way, it's normal if you're feeling some of this today. In fact, if there is one thing I've learned covering eclipses over the course of my career thus far it's that many people "feel" eclipses but have a hard time putting them into words. Eclipse season is frequently experienced in the body. With solar eclipses we may sense that big changes are underway, although they don't necessarily appear or become obvious right away.
* Even though solar eclipses happen at the new Moon and typically coincide with new beginnings, the eclipsing of the Sun by the Moon points to the symbolic interaction between the contingent world of changing circumstances or events beyond our control and our conscious intentions or desires. To some extent solar eclipses may inspire within us a new direction or a new path or purpose precisely because of events happening around us that are beyond our control...its these events that we can sometimes feel before they are here...these eclipsing events can thwart our intentions or they can support them...often when events around solar eclipses thwart our intentions they are simultaneously providing new opportunities or pathways for the future specifically because they shut us down in some other area of life. Often when events around solar eclipses support us they do so by closing down or eliminating various elements of opposition we might be facing.
* Mercury is retrograde and moving into a backward moving conjunction with Jupiter in Virgo. Look for something from the past (recent past or long ago) to come back and offer some kind of blessing or positive opportunity, possibly the return on an investment of some kind, a billing error corrected, a mistake undone, a piece of bad news corrected or made significantly lighter, a recent negotiation improved upon, etc.
* Meanwhile, consider reorganizing, reconsidering, or generally thinking through the way you're doing things in the Mercury ruled areas of your birth chart. See what fall cleaning or cleansing might be called for right now, and make a plan. Remember that Mercury retrograde periods often provide us with the inspiration to redo things based upon a new level of clarity we've achieved in some area of life, but sometimes this clarity comes through mistakes, delays, detours, or shakeups.
Prayer: When something is eclipsed, help us to listen and wait patiently until a new door starts to open.
Happy New Moon and Solar Eclipse today Everyone!!
It's a big one. Today's eclipse takes place in a broad conjunction to Neptune and a tight square to Saturn and a nearly exact opposition to Jupiter. There are a variety of ways to look at eclipses so let's run through some of the different themes that stand out in tonight's event.
* The places on earth where eclipses happen at important angles of the sky become potential areas of interest or concern. For example today's eclipse takes place throughout the western Pacific and southeast Asia. It will be visible throughout Indonesia, Malaysia, south-east Asia, and parts of Australia. It will conjoin the MC in Micronesia and through the Solomon Islands and very close to the MC over Syndey and other coastal cities in Australia. As today's eclipse features the water sign of Pisces, it's possible that there are important connections to this area of the world in the months ahead, especially in terms of the environment, the oceans, and perhaps the economies of this region of the world. It's interesting to note that the Spring Equinox will take place at the MC of Hong Kong this spring, which might also indicate upcoming changes in the Chinese market place. As I'm just starting to get interested in mundane astrology (predicting world events), it's interesting to look at an eclipse and subsequent spring equinox from this predictive angle. However, there are many other ways to look at eclipses!
* This particular eclipse takes place at the south node of the moon. The south node of the Moon is traditionally related to the idea of decrease. It was said to decrease both the good and the bad. The north node is oppositely related to increase. It was said to increase both the good and the bad. This eclipse is interesting insofar as the eclipse takes place in conjunction with the south node, but it's ruling planet Jupiter is conjoined the north node. The themes of increase and decrease are therefore very much in play with this eclipse. While the Sun and the Moon coming together in Pisces might signify a powerful new beginning, perhaps related to the releasing or purging of something, there is also a powerful Jupiterian component to this eclipse suggesting growth and expansion. One image that comes to mind is the planting of a new garden intended to take the place of buying food exclusively from the grocery store. While one is releasing the dependence upon a particular resource another resource is being exchanged or grown in its place.
With Saturn in Sagittarius in a square to both the Sun/Moon and Jupiter, it might be that there is a particularly generational or philosophical stand one is taking amidst the change over. For example, not only are you planting your own garden, but you're also doing it because you are trying to take a more active stance on the environment and its health, or you are becoming a vegan, or there is some particularly strong philosophical structure that you are trying to put into place by way of planting your garden.
Regardless, think about the ideas of a strong restructuring effort that requires the releasing or diminishing of one type of resource as another is simultaneously starting to grow. With Jupiter in Virgo the new growth might take a little while, might be very small or humble, or may require constant upkeep or patience. Virgo is a dry/earth sign and Jupiter (considered a more moist/warm planet) has a little harder time expressing its growth oriented qualities in this sign. Nonetheless, sometimes that means modest growth, or earthy simplicity, or frugality.
* With Jupiter/Saturn in square to each other at the time of this eclipse there might also be a theme of generational conflict, torch passing, or change over. Watch for connections between the old and the young, the traditional and the progressive...potentially clashing or potentially joining arms and spurring each other along
* It's important to note that all the planets in Pisces, as well as Saturn in Sagittarius, are ruled by Jupiter. Meanwhile Jupiter is retrograde and in the sign of his detriment. This might signify setbacks, delays, or challenges to our faith or hope in a process of some kind. Like a young person just getting their license only to get into an accidental fender bender, by no fault of their own, and then getting grounded for a month before they've had a chance to spin the wheels. Keeping the faith, looking at long term victories, long term success, patient progress, modest gains, and humble beginnings might be the way to cope with any of the difficulty Jupiter is signifying.
* It's also important to note that Jupiter retrograde and in his detriment might signify something like progress by a return to something from the past. Or a vision of progress that is actually impoverished of something vital. For example (and I try not to get too political in my dailies), many Trump supporters believe he is a positive step forward (Jupiter) while many others see him as a return to 1930's Germany. Similarly many democratic voters have been talking about Hillary Clinton as not progressive enough and too linked to past mistakes or dynasties of the past. Sanders supporters argue for the basis of Sander's progressive nature based on black and white photos of Sanders as a protesting youth in Chicago. These are broad strokes, but it's important to notice the fact that Jupiter's vision of the future, and Jupiter's vision of growth and progress, are very front and center right now, and yet Jupiter is retrograde and in a dry/earthy climate (Virgo) that is not as conducive to rapid growth or progress. In some ways we are going back to go forward, the idea of progress has become perverted or hypocritical, or the path forward is encountering delays or setbacks that will take time to sort themselves out.
This eclipse has the feeling of a crisis of faith, but also perhaps the slow and gradual turning of the tide. On a mundane level I think about global/economic resources, water, and environmental tipping points. Psychologically and spiritually I think about the principled releasing of something and the mindful planting of something new..something that will likely take time to grow to its fullest potential...something requiring patience and maybe even frugality.
Prayer: Light of the Sun, light of the Moon, waters of the planet, teach us how to grow something new....something that is more in line with who we are and what we want for the future of our planet.
The Moon is in Sagittarius today, just past its last quarter phase and now moving toward the waning crescent. The New Moon next week will be a solar eclipse in the sign of Pisces, and it will create a t-square in the mutable signs, between, Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, Neptune, Mercury, and the Sun and Moon.
One thing to note about this upcoming eclipse is the subject of mutability. Mutable signs, also called bi-corporeal or double bodied, feature constellations with two images. Gemini is the twins, Virgo is the harvest maiden and the bird (or angel wings), Sagittarius is the horse and man, and Pisces the two fish. As all signs come between the firmest qualities of a season (fixed signs) and the initiating qualities of the next season (cardinal signs), they are also called "common signs." They feature both a kind of dualism as well as an inherent flexibility.
With six of the traditional planets and one of the outer planets involved in next week's eclipse, we have rapidly approaching what looks like a very dynamic moon cycle. Saturn will turn retrograde after the Full Moon, and Mars will start to slow down to station shortly after. So it's likely that there are many fluid and unexpected changing (and probably challenging) circumstances over the next month. The kinds of changes that are both potentially disturbing or difficult but also easily integrated or adapted to on the fly.
A few subjects that seem likely given the planets/signs involved:
* Religion, philosophy, history, doctrines, dogmas and their conflicts or harmonious integration
* Deception and truth, ethics, morality
* How we fight for a cause, divisive and angry, peaceful and patient, is one really better than the other?
* Generational conflicts or divides
* Technical learning, study or knowledge, versus intuitive or instinctual wisdom
* Martyrs, sinners, saints, disciples, gurus, and the tendency to polarize people into these categories
* Politics and religion or spirituality... one and the same or different?
* Scientific exploration or discoveries that introduce powerful new ideas
* New information that changes circumstances suddenly and forces us to adapt rapidly to something new
* The eclipsing of the light...someone or something powerful or hopeful falls, is displaced, becomes ill, surrenders, dies, or relinquishes power...
Solar Eclipses are sometimes about the eclipsing of light and life somewhere in our lives, but solar eclipses also open a door, so it's likely that new doors or opportunities will open for us as something else is simultaneously eclipsed or falls away.
We'll look at these dynamics again as the eclipse approaches!
Prayer: Help us to stay in prayer, peace, and humility as the planets congregate, the Sun is eclipsed, and the spring draws near!
Happy Solar Eclipse everyone!
Today the Sun and Moon conjoin in late Virgo to create an out of sign conjunction with the north node in Libra. Meanwhile the ruling planet Mercury is slowing down to station in mid Libra this week and will turn retrograde by Friday.
Solar eclipses are like extra powerful new moons that generally come around twice per year. As the last solar eclipse took place in conjunction with the south node in Aries this past spring, it was a Mars ruled eclipse. As we enter the fall, with the north node in Libra this eclipse is Venus ruled. Since Venus has recently turned direct, regaining her strength every day now, the forecast for today's solar eclipse is significantly lighter and easier than last spring's was.
Notice that the Sun and Moon in Virgo, ruled by Mercury, and the north node, ruled by Venus, are in a tight sextile with one another on the day of today's eclipse. Even though Mercury is stationing, this generally symbolizes a fortunate opening to our moon cycle.
Here's what to watch for with today's solar eclipse. Remember that solar eclipses introduce new themes that will be with us for a long time. These are themes that may slowly introduce themselves over the course of the rest of the year and into the winter and spring, until our next eclipse season at the end of this winter.
* Help from others allows us to restore order, balance, harmony, and ease back into our lives
* Growing awareness around who helps us and who harms us, or what relationships keep us pure, simple, and on the right track versus those that tend to throw us off or hold us back
* Sweet, tender, mindful, considerate, tactful communication helps us meet our goals and keeps things organized
* Purity, simplicity, hard work, and careful planning gather the right people together
* Wrongs are made right, the scales are balanced, and fair conclusions are arrived at after an injustice
* Learning a new craft or skill, improving or honing an artistic ability, spending time with people we love, and honestly evaluating our flaws for the sake of improving a craft kill or relationship
* Diplomacy and tact are able to sensitively address a difficult issue
* A wake up call, the return to innocence because of a scary sign, omen, or warning
* The judgment or evaluation of others and the tendency we might have to take ourselves too seriously
* The comfort of the small, the detail, the charming but simple
* An important piece of news leads to a change of fate or circumstance, forces us into a simpler or humbler point of view
It's a good day to evaluate ourselves honestly and return to innocence wherever and whenever we can.
Prayer: Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors, and remind us of the simple joys
Happy New Moon Solar Eclipse Everyone!
Today is both the spring Equinox and our new moon, AND a solar eclipse all at once. Talk about a powerfully charged moment. To make it even more interesting, this eclipse takes place at the very last minutes of the last degree of Pisces, just as both the Sun and Moon move into the 0 Aries point.
As both the last degrees of Pisces and the sign of Pisces itself are the "end" of the zodiac, the 0 Aries point is the most powerfully focused "beginning" point of the zodiac. It is the most cardinal of the cardinal; the yang of the yang we might say. This eclipse (which just happened around 5:30 am eastern time this morning) is therefore about an interesting blend of beginnings and endings. Of course from one perspective every beginning is also an ending and vice versa, but right now it's truly the case that these two notions might be blending in some very pronounced ways.
As this eclipse is also happening around the south node of the Moon (symbolic of the past), it's as though we're also mining the past or returning to something from the past very strongly right now. With the sign of Aries it could be that we're facing old fears, or taking actions now we wished we would have long ago, or even taking actions now that we've known, since long ago, we would eventually take.
The simplest idea of the late Pisces and 0 Aries moment is gestation and birth. So one way to think about this eclipse has to do with "the beginning of the gestation of something that will be born soon." Another way to think about it would be "something that has been gestating for a long time is now ready to be born." And yet another way of thinking about is, "something from the past is coming to some resolution right now, potentially EITHER unconsciously or consciously."
As the Uranus/Pluto square has just finished it's last hard aspect, but is still in nearly exact square, we are reaching the end of an era. There is a powerful surge of unconscious, inventive, destructive, and regenerative energy taking place in our lives right now. Therefore this solar eclipse is also about the "beginning of the beginning of the end."
Questions to ask ourselves at this special moment:
* What's coming up from the past that's asking for resolution or attention?
* What new actions am I feeling called to take in what area of my life, most powerfully? (Look to the house that holds the 0 Aries point in your birth chart)
* How does what I know now help me to handle something from "back then?"
* What's currently gestating? What is starting to shift slowly but obviously?
* Where are actions, courage, and aggressive moves being called for?
* What is it from my past that is here to help me or that can be used as a special resource for making these changes?
And perhaps most importantly...what gods are living in the midst of these changes? Sometimes getting clear on what gods are calling to us helps us to clarify not only WHAT we're supposed to be doing but HOW we're supposed to be doing it. With so much Aries energy in the sky right now, one word that comes to mind is "competitive." It's a word we're often uncomfortable with, but right now and for the duration of this Moon cycle certainly, we can't be afraid of our own will power or aggression. It's a part of the plan right now...
In other news, my new website, rebuilt from the kickstarter, is about ready to launch (hopefully today!). Thanks everyone for helping me make a dream come true. My first video blog was posted last night, but I'll post it again this morning. You can also find all my blogs and moon poetry on the new website, since the new year (organized by categories even!). I hope this helps people tap into old things I've written about as references or resources for astrological learning.
Prayer: We are being eclipsed, the past and the present, sliding through one another...a new era is beginning, help me to choose new things fearlessly, and make good on old resolutions.
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.