The solar eclipse in Leo just took place early this morning, eastern time, and was only visible from "most of Asian, far northern Europe, Iceland and Greenland, as well as a slice of northern and eastern Canada."
If you missed my discussion of the solar eclipse on my video blog, be sure to check it out on the home page. Just scroll down a few posts and you'll see it!
Meanwhile, here are some things to remember/watch for:
* Eclipses in Leo are essentially about solar things. In modern astrology, we tend to identify with our Sun signs more than any other planet in the birth chart. The Sun represents action, ambition, and an inborn sense of destiny or purpose that we each have. The Sun is like the plot of a good movie or the core motivations or desires of the protagonist in a novel. We are each compelled by a sense that we live our lives for a reason or a purpose, even if we fail to find or fulfill that sense of destiny or purpose, or even if we somehow define our purpose as an anti-purpose. Nobody can avoid taking action in the world, and even various forms of renunciation still involve "action." Of course, the Indian word for this concept is "karma." And so, you can think of today's eclipse as a "karmic" eclipse insofar as the Sun is a planet of action, destiny, and ambition. A solar eclipse in the Sun's sign suggests a shift of purpose or direction, or the end of one way of acting and being in the world and the introduction of an entirely new way of being in the world.
* The Sun can also easily step in and play the role of the "ego." What makes a good ego? Simply that the ego recognizes its nature as a servant to the unborn, undying soul, and in turn the soul's relationship to the divine source of which it is a part. When the ego's first question becomes, how might I serve my higher nature and the source, then our lives take on the effulgence of the Sun: a halo of light grows around us like the mane of the Celestial Lion. So, beware of all temptations to become bigger, more successful, famous, visible, powerful, authoritative, etc., and remember that all of these forms of success will eventually fall apart if we are not serving. Legacies in this world are born and then they die, but the legacy of that which is eternal is never born and never dies.
* The Sun is also about individuation. It is a joy to discover more of who we are as a spirit/soul. The more we discover who we are the more we will be filled with a spirit of generosity. Because the more we know who we are the more we are in touch with the wellspring of the divine, at which point our lives become the overflow of that knowledge, bliss, and eternality. The natural bi-products of real self-knowledge is generosity, tolerance, and humility. Though these qualities may seem "weak" to some, they actually find their perfection in the image of the cosmic Lion.
* Today's eclipse falls at around the 18th degree of Leo and is the last of the eclipses happening in Leo and Aquarius before the nodes change signs to Cancer/Capricorn in November. Be sure to check the house/topics of Leo in your chart, or planets or points near the 18th degree of Leo, or the fixed signs.
* If you want a sneak preview of where changes are coming next, just look at the Cancer/Capricorn axis of your birth chart. Eclipses will start falling in these houses regularly starting this winter!
Prayer: May we hear the roar of your mighty love today, pounding open the steel doors of our hearts!