Happy New Moon Everyone!
I'm leaving town today on a yoga retreat and will be out of cell/wi-fi range until the weekend. In the meantime, I've prepared some written thoughts about the big lineup of transits happening this week, plus I've made four short videos, one per transit, that you can watch on my YouTube Channel this week (see comments section for links).
New Moon in Libra (October 8th/9th):
* This New Moon lands in Venus' sign and is in a close square to Pluto. With Venus retrograde in Scorpio, this Moon cycle is going to be about making important judgments, comparisons, and evaluations, perhaps especially in relationships. How open are we to the values, ideas, or beliefs of others right now, and how open are we to being transformed by others? Do we only ever expect that others conform or change for us, or do we tend to be the only person making changes for others? These questions will be featured.
Meanwhile, it's also a great time to see how we are measuring up to the standards we set for ourselves. How close to we come to making our own grade? Are our expectations too high, not forgiving enough, or too low, and potentially lazy?
Finally, if we're honest with ourselves and honest with others, then it is possible to plant the seeds of deep and lasting changes in our relationships right now. This is the promise of an intense, Plutonian flavored New Moon with its ruler, Venus, also retrograde in the Mars-ruled sign of Scorpio.
Mercury Opposite Uranus (October 9th/10th):
* The planet of intelligence, communication, technology, messages and messengers will oppose the planet of rebellion, disruption, and innovation this week, suggesting that we might be on the brink of an intellectual or communicative breakthrough, or we may feel the need to raise our voices, so to speak, especially for whatever we believe to be most progressive or "radical." Of course, given the rest of the planetary action right now, it's likely that these breakthroughs will come in our relationships.
If we think that judging, analyzing, comparing, evaluating, deconstructing, or thinking our way to truth is a long-term solution for a spiritual problem, we are sorely mistaken. This transit has the power to provide us with an intellectual or mental breakthrough that is in service to our spiritual life, and to spiritual activities. When our mind is in service to spiritual life, it is happy. When the mind is given the task of BEING the full extent of our spiritual life, we're in trouble. A spiritual life without intelligence is hollow, and intelligence without a spiritual life tends to be guarded or even paranoid.
Venus Square Mars (October 9th/10th/11th):
* The goddess of love and the god of war are in a grudge match this week, just as Venus is turning retrograde. Venus is in the superior position, putting great pressure on Mars within this time of creative conflict and tension, but Venus is also in Mars' sign, in her detriment, which means that Mars has some power over her, as well.
Can we seek understanding rather than victory? Can we seek to be changed as much as we long to change others? Can we open our hearts to a new way of existing within our relationships? Can we imagine that conflict is not always bad? Can we see the endless turning of these opposites and learn to see something beyond them?
In Greek mythology, Mars and Venus (Ares and Aphrodite) were adulterous/forbidden lovers. Can we snatch some defeat from the jaws of our victories, just enough to keep us in love with what comes next, with what came before, with what lies beyond? Can we snatch just a little bit of victory from our defeats, recalling that love is the only thing at stake and yet it is always available, open, and free?
Finally, the Sun will Square Pluto (October 11th):
The ego, the ruler, the leader, the King or Queen, the CEO, and the paternal are being transformed. Our sense of purpose, ambition, and action, are changing. We have an opportunity to be enlightened, but it will require humble submission before the forces of the unconscious.
Also, what is the balance between our "ideals" and the gritty, earthy, reality of the world we live in? When is nice just a bunch of phony and when is gritty and difficult actually substantive and helpful? On the other hand, where do we need to soften, yield, and learn to become more diplomatic? Where are we being asked to put our ideas to work in the world or to conform to a higher standard? These questions and more will be highlighted, as well.
A lot! Be sure to check out my short videos on each, as well.
Prayer: Be our friend, so that our minds may befriend. Be our ideal, so that our ideas may serve you. Be our companion, so that our relationships may give you the dearest company.
Venus and Mars are both moving into a square with Saturn over the next few days and the Sun is moving into a square with Pluto.
Here's what to watch for:
* Refining your taste
* Commitment phobias
* Deepening our commitment
* Boredom in love
* Sexual frustration
* Sexuality and ideology
* Sexuality and confinement
* Sex and harshness
* Lust and restraint
* Desire and the word "no"
* Teasing, tempting down the walls or barriers to love, affection, sex, either appropriately or inappropriately
* Betrayal, infidelity, adultery
* Cementing the legacy of a relationship
* Maturity and love, age and love, generational lessons and love
* Loneliness and lust
* Restraining our appetite
* Saving rather than spending or the battle between the two amplified
* Purity and cleanliness vs obsessiveness and self-harm
* The structure or form of art, literature, film, etc
* A creative project taking shape
* A new style or design crystalizing
* Hard work and discipline
* Impulse and restraint
* The drive to finish, achieve and focus
* The frustration of our will
* Actions and consequences
* Taking responsibility for actions
* Gutting it out
* Refining our actions
* A strategy, a plan, serious, and sober
* Muscle, war, competition, bravery, meets maturity, wisdom, conservatism
* The aged warrior and the young warrior
* The young recruit
* The picture of someone old or set in their ways being forced to consider something different by someone younger, faster, more impulsive, etc
* Explosiveness due to energy trying to be contained or controlled
* Men, leaders, and the underworld
* The death or downfall of men or leaders or fathers
* The dark lord exposed, called out to the light of day
* Judgment and justice with volcanic force
* Eruptions of unconscious material
* The scales tipping the other way
* Karma and the undeniable connections of karma made manifest in strange ways
* What is simple, beautiful, sophisticated, wealthy or luxurious in appearance is exposed for something deeper, darker, more obsessive or dangerous on the inside
* A powerful and regenerative turn of events
We will keep our eye on all three of these transits over the weekend!
Prayer: Bring us back to what matters. If we've lost our way, if we've strayed from the path, if we can't find the strength to bring ourselves back, then help us do what we cannot do alone.
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.