Here's what to watch for:
* Venus making a trine to Saturn in the wintry sign of Capricorn, from the youthful spring sign of Taurus, is in some ways like the image of a young or youthful person seeking help from someone wiser or older, or something more traditional, stable, or structured. However, it may also represent someone or something youthful being restrained, slowed down, checked, or hindered by something or someone older, wiser, more traditional or conservative, controlling, stable, etc.
* As Venus enters the enclosure between Saturn and Mars we may see someone or something "good" or something young, beautiful, enthusiastic, etc, being put in their place, or being forced to go through some kind of challenging period of focus, pressure, constraint, or maturation.
* It's important to remember that sometimes we're simply playing the role that we "must" play in any given situation. Many situations are scripted, archetypal, or mythic, and it is incredibly difficult to rewrite or step out of the interactions of the planets (internally or externally). Sometimes youthful enthusiasm, beauty, and idealism have to lead the way, and yet it is natural that older, more traditional figures will remain and retain their voices and responses or interactions with the younger/spring forces.
* For example, the 4th hexagram of the I Ching, which I cast this morning, is called "Youthful Inexperience," and it talks about the interaction between young pupils and older mentors. One translator writes, "While it sometimes happens that youthful rashness succeeds where sober counsels fail, it is nevertheless the duty of the mature teacher to cultivate the minds of the young and to respond, within reason, to their requests for guidance."
* The same translator, John Blofeld, writes, " As an omen, this hexagram may be taken to imply a case in which a certain amount of rashness may lead to success, but in which older people are not absolved from the duty of guiding the young."
* Hexagram #4 also warns against asking trivial questions or treating something serious with too much lightness or frivolity. There is a "respect your elders" message in hexagram #4, but there is also a clear message that "teachers do not seek students but students seek teachers...so don't try to force or find students because you desire to be a teacher." Similarly, hexagram #4 says, "don't give advice or counsel or try to correct someone if they aren't asking for help."
* Venus enclosed between the malefics by trine is a captive audience...beauty mixed with dissonance.
* Venus enclosed between the malefics is like someone who is tricked, trapped, or put by necessity into a situation where they have to give, serve, or surrender something, perhaps to inferior people or to someone that one does not feel great about. Imagine, for example, in a comedy when a protagonist accidentally stumbles into a gangster's hideout. By no design of his own, he suddenly becomes the favorite of the mob boss. Saying "no" to the mob boss' request could lead to more pain than is worth it, and so the protagonist must "play along" and generously give the mob boss what he wants until a moment of escape presents itself.
* Venus enclosed between the malefics is also like a very kind or generous person being taken advantage of by someone who will make your life far worse if you don't let yourself be taken advantage of...it's easier to "give them what they want" and be done with it.
* Venus enclosed between the malefics is therefore also a picture of potentially trying to twist or manipulate things to suit our desires, rather than being fair, honest, compromising, or rational.
* Venus moving from Saturn to Mars is also said to be bringing the light of Saturn to Mars, a transfer of light. In this case, we may see important negotiations, or third parties helping us to resolve something that is difficult or tricky to resolve on our own.
* Venus to Saturn and Mars is also about beauty and harmony being found through hard work, discipline, focus, and compromise.
Prayer: Help us to recognize your love, and your specific message for us within each and every situation that we find ourselves in. May we find faithfulness, patience, and peace, in the midst of each trial that we face.