Uranus has now moved into Taurus, where it will stay all the way into 2026.
Here's what to watch for:
* Remember that Uranus has been aptly compared to the figure of Prometheus for a long time by modern, archetypal astrologers. It's a fitting comparison, but most of the time we don't really understand the shadow side of the comparison.
* Prometheus' theft of the fire from the gods, though we often admire it, was also a serious transgression that led to torture and ongoing punishment.
* In this sense, Prometheus bears some similarity to the figure of Satan or Lucifer, who is cast down from heaven due to his desire to hold the highest seat in heaven.
* It's interesting to note that Venus was also called "Lucifer," perhaps due to the fact that she would aspire upwards, ahead of the Sun in the east just prior to dawn, only to eventually fall down again.
* In this sense, it is especially interesting to note the similarity between Prometheus and Lucifer as Uranus is entering Venus' feminine abode of Taurus for the next seven years.
* It is also fitting given that just as Uranus was making the transition into Taurus, Venus made a square to Uranus and is now flowing forth from that square just as Uranus enters Taurus.
* When I was in Mayapur, India last week, there was an enormous ceremony that took place in the temple, called a Maha Abhishek, where the Pancha Tattva deities of Lord Caitanya Maha Prabhu, the golden avatar of Krishna, were bathed. Mind you these are gigantic, tall deity statues, all golden being bathed in yogurt, ghee, honey, milk, coconut water, Ganges water, etc. It was totally beautiful.
* Throughout the ceremony it was nearly impossible to get close up without moving through intense log jams of human bodies, most of whom were groping toward the deities with the intense desire to receive darshan.
* I noticed that Venus was squaring Uranus perfectly as all of this was happening.
* Several times, I found myself getting swept up in the intense desire to rush toward the golden light of these beautiful deities, and yet several times I found myself cast back, cast out, hurled aside by waves of bodies, a mere beggar at the gates.
* Then, finally, while sitting on the outside looking in, I remembered the words of one of the senior devotees on the trip. During a parikrama talk, he had said, "We forget that darshan isn't about getting to see the Lord, it's about presenting ourselves before the Lord to be seen. To present ourselves as servants, and to ask for more facility to serve."
* Having remembered this, I slowly ambled away from the crowd and found myself standing along a fence on the outskirts of the temple. I could still see just a small glimpse of the golden deities through the crowd, but somehow I knew that it was enough, and I tried to adjust myself inwardly back into the mood of being a servant. The passion and love and desire to connect with the deities were admirable, it was actually beautiful to behold such intense desire and piety en masse, but at least within myself, the lunging and groping toward the light had represented something subtle and malignant. I had confused the desire to consume the effulgence of the divine, to merge with it or rush toward it, an Instagram photo opportunity in waiting, with the desire to present myself as a servant before it.
* In the Bhagavad Gita we are similarly taught that while it is desirable to elevate our lives and our consciousness to the mode of goodness, which is ethical, beautiful, Venusian, tidy, kind, noble, intelligent, virtuous, etc., the desire for these things alone, like the rush toward the golden effulgence of divinity, eventually leads to a fall. The desire to do good, the desire to consume the good, the desire for the shining, luminescent effulgence of the good, is good, but as Krishna tells us, "bhaktya mam abhijanati/yavan yas casmi tattvatah/tato mam tattvato jnatva visate tad-anantaram," which means "One can understand Me as I am, as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, only by devotional service. And when one is in full consciousness of Me by such devotion, he can enter into the Kingdom of God."
* Similarly, the temptation exists for each of us, every day, all of the time, to rush toward the good. We craft, plan, and imagine, "What is the highest good that I can achieve?" We ask, "What is the most beautiful thing I can make?" And who could fault us wanting to be good, wanting beauty, or wanting "love and light?"
* And yet, the pride of the "good" also comes before the fall of the good. The Promethean rush toward the golden bull of Taurus, no matter how progressive, beautiful, aesthetically pleasing, green, etc., will in time become the new tyranny, the mass movement toward the Venusian idol that smashes, tramples, and even crushes others along the way, lest we forget that it was the triple Taurean, art student, Hitler, Hitler who was born while Uranus was in the Venus-ruled sign of Libra, who also "loved" Hinduism and the Gita, who lusted after the image of a beautiful Aryan super-race and then lunged toward his golden bull with devastating results.
* In fact, the last time that Uranus entered Taurus Hitler was just rising to power.
* But this isn't a post about Hitler. Rather, it's a reminder that the vision of what is "good and beautiful" coupled with the often violent idealism of Uranus, will sometimes lead "good people" to do terrible things. Even our own democracy, which so many of us think of as "good," was founded around the time Uranus was being discovered and was done alongside tremendous genocide and bloodshed.
* The good, the beautiful, and the golden may thus become the idols we rush toward, with disastrous results in the years to come, unless we can pause and find ourselves content to be mere beggars at the gates, servants presenting ourselves before the source of all golden goodness, asking for the facility to serve rather than becoming selfish pilgrims, stampeding like mad bulls toward the sattvic but fleeting planes of goodness, richness, and beauty.
* We are not nearly careful enough about the vanity and violence of our "good intentions."
* When the good becomes bad and the bad becomes good, when beggars become Kings and Kings become beggars, we sometimes remember these noble truths. Most often, though, history simply repeats itself and we continue to be lived by the modes of material nature, which, as it turns out, are anything but natural for eternal spirit/souls.
* Theme song for Uranus in Taurus? The Police once sang, "There is no political solution, to our troubled evolution, have no faith in constitution, there is no bloody revolution...Where does the answer lie? Living from day to day, if it's something we can't buy, there must be another way. We are spirits in the material world. We are spirits in the material world."
Prayer: Help us to understand you as you are. Replace our noblest greed for gold and goodness with the simple desire to serve you.
The Moon is in Scorpio today, applying to oppose Venus in Taurus before going void of course.
What to watch for...
*Rebellious/eruptive/sudden/unexpected/inventive/exciting breakthroughs or outbursts, discoveries or revelations...especially in communication, writing, talking, emails, texts, etc (Mercury/Uranus/Sun conjunct in Aries, square to Pluto in Capricorn).
* Challenging ideas, debates, discussions (same)
* Competition, legacy, history, protest, personal rights (same)
* Beginning a project of creative self expression (same)
* Sexual tension/excitement/desire/erotica (Moon opposite Venus)
* Foreplay, extravagance, decadence, and desire (same)
* The feeling that everything should be handed to you or that everything should happen easily or naturally, without any work (same)
* Moodiness that destabilizes relationships or rains on a parade (same)
* A quickie (same)
* Conversations about finances, resources, time/energy management (same)
* Feeling sick and tired of feeling sick and tired (same)
* Lazy and sexy taking a naked nap (same)
* Violence and celebrities (Mars square Jupiter)
* Violence in the media/film/tv (same)
* Religious violence and holy crusades (same)
* Machismo, muscle, warriors, athletes, masculinity, testosterone, steroids, gangs, money, power, cowboys, and the violence only money can buy (same)
* Aggrandized egos, spending, poor winning/losing (same)
* Bull headed egoism (same)
* Accepting a challenge, pushing through to victory (same)
* A philosophical dilemma, weighs on the mind (Saturn barely moving/retro in Sagittarius)
* A revision of past beliefs (same)
* A new course of study or inquiry (same)
* Disillusionment with something once believed (Saturn square Neptune)
* Bridging the real with the ideal (same)
* Time/space/fantasy/illusion/imagination/science fiction (same)
* Divine discontent..boredom, longing, dreaming (same)
Whenever we read a list of so many different possible qualities happening all at once, we naturally ask ourselves, "How can they all be happening at once? Is there some way of summarizing it all? Some overarching purpose to all the different qualities?" And the answer to these questions is that the psyche is multifaceted. The solar system as a reflection of psyche is like a vast temple with many different sanctuaries, or a vast mansion with many different rooms. Some of these themes will be dramatically pronounced for some people while others will be for others. There's also always the possibility that despite whatever weather is going on around us, we're simply not seeing/feeling it that intensely. We make a mistake in thinking that astrology is "determining" things. The sky is more like a reflection of what's arising..the many different facets of psychic life currently expressing themselves and interacting with each other. But it's always "through a glass darkly" that we come to astrology. Knowing the weather patterns of the psyche, we can take comfort, feel the divine intelligence (even if it's still deeply mysterious), and make soulful choices.
Summing it all up is the great red herring of astrology...a wild goose chase of prophets and their v-formation followings. As long as we know that, then we can be creative with our summaries rather than prescriptive. So here's one of mine, but look at the patterns above and try one of your own!
A Prophetic Summary: We are rising to the challenge of a series of unexpected twists and turns. The invisible seamstress of fate has recently turned the plot inside out (to some degree), and now we're evaluating, taking stock, plotting a new course, gaining confidence and excitement, and gradually working our way out of the muck. This new vision will take time, though we'd like for it to be here now or we'd like for it to take care of itself without our hard work and effort. The new vision might be simpler in some ways, but we're considering the idea that despite it simple appearance, it's also the best thing that could have happened for us. We might still feel a little unsure, worried, skeptical or uneasy about the future at this moment....but we're working that out...one plodding day at a time.
Prayer: The invisible seamstress of fate...looking pretty good lady.
Image by courtesy of Hernan Pinera, at creative commons image licensing
Was sitting down to write my horoscope this morning and BOOM, the power went out. I sat there and suddenly it occurred to me, "Oh yeah, the Sun just conjoined with Uranus in Aries."
So if you're having a "Bam!" kind of day...then that covers it.
Otherwise here's some themes to watch for:
* Eruptive communication dynamics..power struggles, asserting ourselves, control issues in communication, communication and authority figures (Mercury conjunct Uranus/square Pluto)
* The feeling of a large creative shift or surge coming on..regaining our confidence, getting ready for a dynamic time of creative expansion, good feelings, expanded insight and wisdom (Jupiter stationing in Leo about to turn direct)
* The feeling of lethargy...lots to do but feeling heavy about it when maybe the work should be easier/lighter/freer (Mars trudging along in Taurus, though Venus is also in Taurus)
* Concerns/conversations/organization around finances/resources/home or family planning, time management, work loads, etc (Mars/Venus in Taurus)
* Conversations about values in relationships (matching/clashing--Mars/Venus in Taurus)
* The feeling of being sick of something, or just plain sick (Moon in Scorpio)
* Looking at sub or unconscious "stuff" (Moon in Scorpio)
* Secretive desires creeping into the mind/body (Moon in Scorpio)
* Family/ancestral/past karma related to finances/resources/health or lifestyle (Moon in Scorpio)
* A philosophical change underway (Saturn still very slow in Sag/retrograde)
* A new learning challenge (Saturn still very slow in Sag/retrograde)
* Revising or revisioning our spiritual outlook, teaching method, or course of study/discipline/practice (Saturn still very slow in Sagittarius/retrograde)
* The growing feeling of masculinity, achievement, muscle, pride (Mars applying to square Jupiter)
* Interest or fascination in machismo, alpha males, farmers, hard work, simple minded chauvinism or heroism, etc (Mars applying to square Jupiter)
* A growing or swelling pride/irritation with/testosterone/adventurousness/imperialism/conquest motif (Mars applying to square Jupiter)
So, if any or all of this sounds familiar, know that you live in a universe where part of everything is beyond your control, while the rest is a choose your own adventure game that never ends.
Prayer: fall on your knees in fear and overwhelm (turn to page 46), Climb a star tree to get a better view and then eat a sky apple and feel better (turn to page 101). CHOOSE 101!!!!
Image courtesy of creative commons:
Full Moon and Lunar Eclipse today!
We’ve finally made it to the peak of our eclipse cycle. A full moon that features near exact alignment with the Pluto/Uranus square. This cycle has not been messing around, and most of us have felt it in one way or another. With a constellation of Arian planets around the south node, and with our eclipse season opening with a strong equinox solar eclipse, there are very strong (much stronger than usual) new beginnings happening right now. The Arian energy brings the qualities of birth, rebirth, strong new openings, new phases or seasons of life, new jobs, new relationships, new lessons and learning, all with secondary adjectives like: speed, adrenaline, courage, confrontation, impulsiveness, willfulness, recklessness, and independence.
With all the Arian planets being ruled by Mars, and with Mars in Taurus right now, we are looking at what resources we have to work with, what we desire to gain or earn, and how we meet the hardships associated with survival (bills, food, clothing, income brackets, taxes, social class concerns, welfare, wealth, etc). This new beginning might have something to do with these themes, or it might be specifically qualified by these concerns somehow.
With the south node of the Moon in the mix with the Arian stellium, there is also the distinct feeling of “having been here before,” though we might be feeling a little wiser this time around. Is there something about everything happening right now that feels like a blessing or challenge from the past…ancestral, karmic, unconscious, historical or cultural? Meditating on this deeper layer of the story might help us reach an important level of clarity regarding next steps or how to proceed wisely.
In the meantime, our Libra Moon and the north node in Libra are symbolizing an oppositional tension that is pointing us toward relationships, negotiation, and complex levels of discernment or judgment that are needed in the mix of an otherwise very fiery and exciting time (a time where impulses are running high). Relationships and the subject of independence or freedom are critical right now. It’s important that we have these conversations and that we do the difficult work of sorting through the past, honoring the free spirit in each of us, while also carefully discerning the most compromising and harmonious picture of the future.
With the north node and the Moon both in Libra, we have to take a look at the planet Venus to understand what’s happening a little more precisely. Venus, like Mars, is in Taurus (her rulership!). She has a kind of secret rulership over Mars right now, as well, since Mars is in her sign (and therefore in his detriment).
In the third decan of Taurus, Venus is in the face of Taurus traditionally given to Saturn. This face of Taurus is a bit like the phrase “the lord giveth and the lord taketh away,” or like the IChing talking about times of plenty leading to times of scarcity, and vice versa. The wisdom of scarcity should be with us during times of abundance, as well as the knowledge of abundance not forgotten during times of scarcity. How do these teachings permeate the atmosphere right now?
Additionally the last decan of Taurus suggests that preservation and careful maintenance of “the goodness of the work” (whatever that might be for each person), requires careful planning, stocking, organizing, and downsizing. This advice is most important when we’ve reached a stage of abundance, or it comes as a reminder right now because we’re looking back seeing where we didn’t do this when we should have.
There is also a secret warning in the mix of our doubly Taurus themed rulers of this eclipse weekend…BEWARE or rushing to completion. Though there is a new beginning or powerful new directives coming through, and though we might see clearly what we want or where we’re going, implementation is calling for lots of TLC right now.
Imagine: before making the decision, clean every room in the house from top to bottom, organize and downsize, trim the fat, and get your life in order. Then, wait until the next new moon. Then wait some more and as the next moon cycle waxes, you will have put your house in order to receive the correct instructions.
We so quickly rush past the ceremonial and aesthetic aspects of change. Just because the gods are here banging down the door, doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate us saying, “I see you’re here. Let me put my house in order and make it beautiful so to receive you properly.” In fact, it’s in the way we structure our receiving of these times that we create ceremony, and from ceremony its so much easier to know how these big changes should implement themselves, step by step, and not just the steps but “how” they are being done..what kind of atmosphere we create around them….(that’s also Venus’ request from her rulership in Taurus right now!).
Prayer: the prayer is so often found in the way we prepare the temple for the god to come and speak…not in what we ask for, or what words we say, but the simple preparations we make…
To learn more about the Nightlight Astrology School, or to follow Adam Elenbaas:
Image by courtesy of Paolo, at creative commons image licensing
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.