In the next twenty-four hours, Venus in Scorpio will oppose Uranus in Taurus. This is happening just prior to Venus turning retrograde next month, which means that we will have two more Venus/Uranus oppositions to come.
Here's what to watch for:
* While Venus represents the harmonization of things that differ from one another, Uranus represents a departure from norms or traditions. While Venus represents beauty, Uranus represents defiance and originality. While Venus represents love, pleasure, and desire, Uranus represents individuality, disruption, and unpredictable or shocking twists of fate or fortune.
* When two planets form an opposition, it indicates the potential for either creative tension, resulting in birth, or polarization, extremes, separation, and the abandonment of one thing for another.
* We are therefore going to be experiencing an extended period of the oppositional tension between these two planets. The first opposition is tomorrow, September 12th, the next is October 31st, this time via Venus' retrograde, and the final opposition will occur on November 30th (this time with Venus in Libra and Uranus in Aries).
* Remember, Venus in Scorpio is traditionally considered to be in her detriment or "exile," and this is due to the challenge that Venus has in being/doing Venusian things while hanging out in Mars' home place. This doesn't mean that synthesis isn't possible, but it isn't likely to come without some effort.
* Here are some of the ways you might see the themes relating to each other
* Ongoing challenges in relationships involving a reluctance to compromise one's individual desires, needs, or appetites.
* Sexual, stylistic, or aesthetic changes that are shocking, defiant, original, and sudden, but perhaps, also, misguided, too fast or impulsive, manipulative, passive-aggressive, vindictive, or rooted in some subtle element of conflict
* The desire to make a statement in a relationship overriding the health of the relationship
* Originality or experimentation at the cost of intimacy
* Sudden or shocking events involving relationships, love, romance, beauty, sexuality, creativity, etc.
* Secrets, longing, betrayal, jealousy, lust, suddenly coming to the surface, perhaps in an act of rebellion or sudden boundary-breaking disregard
* The desire to break free from oppressive emotional situations
* Inventive and original music, art, fashion, perhaps with a dark or exotic twist
* Shocking or subversive news, information, announcements, or even public breakups
* Women, feminism, controversies surrounding women in power
* Women's rights, women's independence
* A time where issues in relationships are coming to the surface and offering a liberation from suffering or troubles...the relationship fight or breakdown that leads to breakthrough
* A revising of one's personal values, struggles with self image, the desire to radically change or alter one's appearance
* Issues surrounding identity politics, changes or transformations of sexual identity, the collective relationship to sexual identity issues, in general
So there are a lot of different possible combinations to explore with these two planets over the next couple of months. Stay tuned for more!
Prayer: Show us the beauty of our eternal nature!
Venus is just separating from it's opposition to Uranus and Mars is now applying to a square with Pluto.
* Here in the US another mass/public shooting, this time in a church in Texas. Last week we also saw bicyclers mowed down on a bicycle path in NYC.
* Last week I wrote several times about Venus opposite Uranus and the potential challenges, desecrations, disruptions, or violence done toward Venusian people, places, things, etc. Among those places traditionally ruled by Venus, temples, sanctuaries, ceremonies, parks, and religious customs or festivals were included. In fact, whereas Jupiter was thought of as the high priestly class, Venus was also sometimes thought of as the priestly class, though usually in relation to the upholding of a ceremony, religious rites, and temple cleanliness. Regardless, this event is unfortunately signified by the Venus/Uranus opposition. For those who track other planetary bodies, Venus was also opposite Eris, who is also conjunct Uranus. For those wanting more on the Uranus/Eris transit, or anything related to Eris, I recommend checking out Henry Seltzer's work!
* In the coming weeks, under the upcoming dark Moon/New Moon phase, Mars will square Pluto. I hate to predict anything related to more public violence, but it seems almost inevitable over the past few years that every time a fast moving planet squares or opposes Uranus or Pluto that we see another public act of terrorism, or violence, not to mention all the political and environmental drama happening all over the world. On the other hand, knowing that these events are the fruiting of a karma, a part of collective destiny, what can any of us do but trust the process and double down on the importance of our own actions in the world as well as the awakening of our own spiritual consciousness?
* Perhaps one blessing in the midst of these difficult times is the fact that Jupiter in Scorpio tends to grow our faith through our encounter with darkness, both in ourselves, in others, and in the world at large. Jupiter is currently moving toward a trine with Neptune, which means renewal, growth, and expansion of faith are also depicted in the sky during the midst of some of these recurring Pluto/Uranus dynamics.
* I had a dream/vision last night that I've been sitting with all day today. It feels worth sharing. In the dream, I was bearing witness to the Rwandan genocide, which took the lives of 800,000 Rwandans in the span of just a few months in the 1990's. I was sitting next to a young man and we were looking out over a trail of bodies that resembled something from the film "Hotel Rwanda," and he said to me something like, "People in the West don't understand suffering. I had no idea. Is it okay to say I'm thankful for seeing this?" I didn't know what to say, so I said, "I think it's okay, yes."
Prayer: Make it okay.
Happy Full Moon Everyone!
Late tonight, early tomorrow morning, the Full Moon is in Taurus. Meanwhile, Venus is opposing Uranus today.
Here's what to watch for:
* This full Moon is brought to you by Mars and Venus. The Sun is in Mars' sign and the Moon in Venus' sign. Meanwhile, Venus is in her own sign moving through an opposition with Uranus in Mars' sign. So the simplest message is this: watch for the tension between Mars and Venus today and over the weekend.
* The tension between Mars and Venus can be creative. Traditionally, planetary oppositions were thought of as relationships that reflected irreconcilable opposites. The opposites could be thought of as either tensing up or relaxing, depending on how planetary opposites were configured with each other. The tension and relaxation were thought to be generative in nature. They weren't to be "balanced," as much as they were productive of new creations, new beings, new things, or new events.
* So sometimes in my horoscopes I will write, "watch for the tension between Mars and Venus" and people will say, "sounds kind of heavy, what about Mars and Venus in harmony or balance?" Well, no, because which planet favors harmony and balance? Venus! So no, I'm sorry, but we can't make an oppositional quality between Mars and Venus all about Venus' preference here (even if it sounds really lovely!). At the same time, "tension," isn't the same as hostility or aggression, which would favor mars. Tension is just that, it's tension. Creative tension, sexual tension, anxious tension, it's all different kinds of tension between the two planetary archetypes. What are the planetary archetypes of Mars and Venus? In the simplest terms, Mars is division, conflict, strife, competition, and separation, whereas Venus is harmony, friendship, beauty, grace, and unity.
* Each planet also has its own virtues and vices. For example, Mars' might be violent, but Venus can be superficial and vain.
* Venus opposite Uranus has a lot to do with candor. Let's say you have something really provocative to do or say or announce or propose. Venus will tell you to do it the right way, through the appropriate channels, and Uranus will tell you to just do it your own damn way, regardless of appearances.
* Venus in Libra reflects something beautiful, friendly, and harmonious, and Uranus in Aries reflects something individualistic, aggressive, defiant, and forceful.
* Venus in Libra represents the acceptable, the socially pleasing, and Uranus in Aries represents the necessary changes that may disturb the social order.
* Venus is the goddess, Uranus in Aries is the disruption or the forceful challenge to the Goddess.
* Venus is the peace agreement, the negotiation, the deal, the accord, and Uranus is what is revolutionary, progressive, defiant, technologically advanced, impatient, and demanding.
* The Taurus Full Moon prefers something beautiful, full, solid, sensual, light, reliable, and rich. The Scorpio Sun prefers something deep, driving, penetrating, authentic, beyond appearances, invisible or dark.
Prayer: May whatever tension we're experiencing be put into the loving service of the divine.
Venus is closing in on an opposition to Uranus.
Here's what to watch for based on the study of previous Venus/Uranus dynamics:
* Venus will perfect its opposition to Uranus by early last Friday night/early Saturday morning.
* Not many people know that Venus was traditionally related not only to women, beauty, harmony, love, and the goddess but also cleanliness. An affliction to Venus can sometimes represent desecration or a clean environment becoming stained, toxic, or diseased. We can also think of these images as metaphors. An affliction to Venus can also interrupt, damage, or destroy images of beauty, femininity, or public reputation.
* The opposition to Uranus would involve technology, invention, rebellion, sudden disruption or destruction and revolution in relationship to cleanliness or something that is naturally beautiful or Venusian.
* For example, last year when Venus opposed Uranus The US and China joined the Paris global climate agreement, but North Korea conducted its largest nuclear test to date.
* Global CO2 levels exceeded 400 ppm at the time of year normally associate with minimum levels. 400 ppm was believed to be higher than anything experienced in human history.
* Two paintings by Van Gogh were stolen from a museum in Amsterdam. They were collectively worth over 100 million dollars.
* A pregnant woman is discovered to be infected with Zika virus after cases jump to over 100 in Singapore. Malaysia confirmed its first report of the zika virus.
* Female victims of the martial law dictatorship of Ferdinand Marcos spoke at the Phillippine Supreme court about how they endured torture during his regime.
* Samsung recalls Galaxy Note 7's because they are exploding and harming people.
* 3 million bees died in South Carolina after being exposed to pesticides meant to kill mosquitoes carrying zika.
* There was a massive earthquake in Oklahoma...of all places...and it was tied to fracking in the region.
* Mother Teresa was controversially canonized as a saint by the Vatican (some of her miracles were intensely scrutinized by some in the Catholic community).
* A newly discovered asteroid was named after Freddy Mercury.
* Mainstay Greta Van Susteren leaves Fox News after 14 years.
* Bill Cosby's sexual assault trial date is set.
Notice how in each of these stories, something Venusian and something Uranian are paired together in oppositional tension. Over the next week, we will witness similar Venus/Uranus themes all over the world.
Prayer: Give us the courage to protect what is truly beautiful.
Venus is moving into an opposition with Uranus this week.
Today an I Ching Meditation:
* The 27th hexagram of the I Ching is called "Providing Nourishment," and the hexagram image is that of an open mouth.
* The 27th hexagram offers a variety of teachings on what comes into and out of our mouths, bodies, and minds. The instruction is to provide nourishment for others we must provide nourishment for ourselves, or that the two are interchangeable. This is a classic teaching.
* The 27th hexagram also tells us that the quality of our mind is regulated by our diet. If our mind is racing or angry or frustrated or depressed, there is a good chance we are putting things into our mouths or minds that is depressing, angry, frustrated, or over stimulating.
* Venus is a planet that represents diet, appearances, aesthetics, peace, harmony, friendship, and diplomacy. The opposition to Uranus suggests the disruption of all of these qualities through a rebellious, aggressive, inventive, forward-thinking or iconoclastic and muscular attitude. The two sets of planetary themes are at odds with each other this week. Hexagram 27 is appropriately suggesting that we monitor what comes into and out of our bodies and minds this week, especially our speech, as there might be a tendency to collapse into one of the two planetary extremes (Venus = niceness without authenticity, or compromising too much, Uranus = aggressive insistence on defying norms or boundaries, or impatient lack of diplomacy).
* The 5th line of hexagram 27 reads, "Violating the canons. Stay firm and good fortune. Cross the great water, misfortune."
* The 5th line of hexagram 27 suggests that there will be a temptation to violate time-tested norms, agreements, wisdom, or truth, for the sake of attaining something that we really want, something depicted by the crossing of the great water (a great undertaking or a great desire). The 5th line tells us to remain firm and persistent in what is right and good fortune will come to us. If we try to abandon virtue and right behavior or the correct or respectful protocol for the sake of doing something great or becoming something great or getting something we want, we will experience misfortune in the end.
* The 5th line transforms hexagram 27 into hexagram 42, called "expansion." Hexagram 42 is an interesting hexagram because it can be read in several different ways to get at several different ideas about how expansion in life occurs.
* The hexagram depicts the idea of what is above sacrificing itself on behalf of what is below. When people who have more, for example, give more, then the entire society grows and expands. When people who are overflowing with good fortune distribute the excess freely to help those who have less, a circular dynamic is created that leads to progress, hope, and dynamic growth for everyone.
* Hexagram 42 is interesting to consider given the Venus/Uranus opposition. Moving from 27 and line 5 to 42, we get the image of a temptation to move ahead at all costs, sacrificing nobility, honor, or time-tested methods, agreements, or appropriate ways of behavior. Line 5 warns us against this, and then hexagram 42 suggests a compromise, and even sacrifice, for the sake of radical progress.
* Hexagram 42 is also a picture of resources raining down from heaven in order to further the cause of people who have less power or fewer resources but an inherently noble cause. Hexagram 42 is, therefore, like saying, "Don't compromise your ethics just because you have a good cause. Wait, and natural resources will come to support you so that you don't have to compromise your integrity in order to move forward."
We're living in a historical moment perfectly captured by one translator's commentary on Hexagram 27 line 5, "Delights tempt maddeningly from the far shore." Right now our vision of progress and our need for liberation is so acute, and the surrounding sense of darkness so overwhelming, that many false solutions, many impatient and overly aggressive solutions, will present themselves to us like wolves in sheep's clothing. But the Venus/Uranus opposition asks us to imagine victory and progress alongside peace, patience, and diplomatic ease. As always, learning to hold the tension of the opposites, usually comes prior to and after whatever outcomes we are seeking. The outcomes will change, but the need to hold that tension, so long as we are living in these beautiful bodies, will not.
Prayer: Teach us to nourish ourselves and others constantly. Teach us to share the wealth and trust that progress rains down just as surely and radically as regress.
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.