Venus is moving into a square with Pluto while Mars and Saturn are moving into an opposition.
Here's what to watch for:
* Speaking up or speaking out about something in order to remove blocks in relationships or tricky situations (Venus/Pluto)
* Forcibly removing obstacles to union (Venus/Pluto)
* Clarifying roles and boundaries (Venus/Pluto with Mars/Saturn)
* The truth is more important than wishes (Venus/Pluto with Mars/Saturn)
* Judgment, feeling judged, feeling thwarted or opposed (Venus/Pluto with Mars/Saturn)
* Attempts to manipulate or block someone or something (Venus/Pluto with Mars/Saturn)
* Understanding ours and others' intentions (Venus/Pluto with Mars/Saturn)
* Removing or purging ourselves of impure desires or unhealthy needs (Venus/Pluto with Mars/Saturn)
* Until we see the truth of a situation our progress will be blocked (Venus/Pluto with Mars/Saturn)
* Something is balancing out and will do so regardless of what we think or feel about what it entails (Venus/Pluto with Mars/Saturn)
* Harmony sometimes comes without an obvious sense of justice or morality (Venus/Pluto and Mars/Saturn)
* There isn't only one way forward or around something (Venus/Pluto and Mars/Saturn)
* Growth happens in ways that are often painful and do not appear fair (Venus/Pluto and Mars/Saturn)
* Nature has a way of removing obstacles and we can get in the way of that if we don't trust the process of letting an obstacle remove itself through the natural pressures of time and space (Venus/Pluto and Mars/Saturn)
* Judge each thing on its own merit, rather than trying to apply one understanding of justice or fairness to everything (Venus/Pluto and Mars/Saturn)
* The slow process of working through obstacles, trusting the obstacle (Mars/Saturn)
Venus and Pluto coming into a square, alongside of Mars opposing Saturn, gives us the picture of working through opposition, of obstacles to union and the natural process of removing obstacles to union. It doesn't always need our pressing or pushing, and it doesn't always look or feel fair, but nature has a way of removing obstacles to union, or synthesizing oppositions in ways that are true and real, so long as we open our hearts and allow for truth to light the way.
Prayer: May all obstacles to union present us with the truth and also recommit us to speaking and living in the truth every day.
The Moon is in Capricorn today, moving toward the Venus/Pluto conjunction which perfects today. Meanwhile the Sun continues toward its exact square of Mars by Sunday morning.
As we've been looking at these challenging transits for the past week, they have grown more intense as they've come closer to perfection. Here's a short list summarizing the themes again:
* Conflicts with authority, bosses, managers (Sun/Mars)
* Arrogance and conflict with people stuck on their own way (Sun/Mars)
* Having to tread or walk carefully through a precarious situation or when dealing with an awkward or dangerous person or subject (Sun/Mars and Venus/Pluto)
* Eruptions of love, romance, sexuality, sexual power (Venus/Pluto)
* Unconscious, hidden, or secretive insights or information being revealed in romantic relationships, partnerships, or friendships (Venus/Pluto)
* The death of love, sex crimes, sexual abuse, scandal (Venus/Pluto)
* Sexual perversion, coercion (Venus/Pluto)
* The embarrassment or humiliation of leaders or people in the spotlight (Sun/Mars)
* Benefiting from someone else's loss or downfall (Venus/Pluto and Sun/Mars)
* Shock, awe, violence, temperamental conversations (Sun/Mars and Venus/Pluto)
* The negotiation, contract, agreement, or bond that is in part a sacrifice made for the sake of something bigger (Venus/Pluto)
* Being taken advantage of by, or taking advantage of, someone in authority
* Love and old age, love and death, love and decay (Venus/Pluto)
* The transformation of our relationships, sexual healing (Venus/Pluto)
* Ideological or philosophical warfare, being easily offended, reactionary futuristic thinking (Sun/Mars)
* The paranoia of intellectual self righteousness (Sun/Mars)
* Propaganda related to lofty or subversive ideas (Sun/Mars)
* Militarism hidden as progressivism (Sun/Mars)
Since I've been doing I Ching readings quite a bit lately for my clients I have many of the I Ching teachings on the brain. Two that come up for me today are "Treading on the Tail of the Tiger" and "Approaching." Treading on the tail of the tiger is a hexagram from the I Ching that discusses the way to proceed when dealing with a dangerous or unreasonable person or situation...you have to proceed with great care, knowing the kind of response you might get from stepping on the tail of a Tiger. The hexagram "approaching" has to do with a powerful influence entering our lives that while powerful may become too powerful by the end. Both hexagrams suggest the influence of powerful people or dangerous situations that could get worse if we're not very cautious and mindful. One has more to do with imminent danger and the other with approaching, long term influences that could subtly deteriorate the integrity of something healthy over time. It's my feeling that we would be wise to act as though both of these hexagrams are in play at the moment and heed their advice!
Prayer: Help us to walk carefully around the tail of the Tiger, and help us to notice the approaching of powerful but corrosive influences
The Moon is void of course in Sagittarius today. Meanwhile Venus is almost exactly conjoined with Pluto and the Sun is almost exactly square to Mars.
As the Sun and Mars approach their square the issues of oversight or condescension might be in the air right now. The Sun is an authority and Mars is an executive force. As a combination we might see things like orders, commands, oversight, and management coming to the forefront right now. Who is making the commands and who is doing the leading, organizing, or implementing of projects, tasks, and initiatives? When we resist taking instruction from someone who has our best interest in mind or we resist taking responsibility for the oversight of something that only we can properly manage, what exactly are we rebelling against? Why?
The Venus/Pluto conjunction might also signify deals being made or allegiances being created that will take us forward for the time being, but the fact that Pluto is involved, as well as the sign of Capricorn, indicates that there may be something we're not seeing or something selfish or too calculated or compromising about whatever it is that we're agreeing to or going forward with right now.
In the upcoming months, for example, Mars will go retrograde around the same time as Saturn and we might be seeing people back out of things they are committing to now, or we might see the delay or failure of various projects or commitments we're just now committing ourselves to for the foreseeable future.
Both of the transits currently perfecting also imply shock. Venus/Pluto might involve shock in our relationships, love life, sex life, marriages, or in terms of performance, art, and our recreational time. Venus/Pluto might involve the destruction of sacred objects or things that we love...and it may come as a shock. Similarly, the Sun and Mars might involve outbursts of violence, temper, self righteousness, issues with authority figures, public attacks or assaults on other's dignity, injury or accident, or sickness, fever, and inflammation.
Shock is almost always an opportunity for us to set our life in order. Shock is often about warning us or speaking to us in an undeniably clear language: you need to change something and get yourself together again. As the I Ching says, "The shock terrifies for a hundred miles, and he does not let fall the sacrificial spoon and chalice."
When shocking things are said or done or a shocking situation arises (either good or bad!), we might imagine that a cosmic teacher has entered the room and is now watching...will we spill out, flip out, react, lose our shit and drop the sacrificial cup? No sir! No way! This is our moment! At least this is what the I Ching teaches us. Shock comes to correct, to monitor, to test, and we may actually reap tremendous rewards in our lives when we learn to walk through shocking times with inner repose and carefulness...whether it's a windfall or an unexpected loss of some kind.
One last thing to mention is that both the theme of advancement, through strong but perhaps somewhat treacherous or unexpected allegiances, and shock or unexpected upheavals are possible through these two transits. Both transits may involve deals with the devil, or compromising on something questionable, or resigning ourselves to "live with something," as they simultaneously involve a certain amount of upheaval in the days ahead.
There is nobility, of course, in choosing to move forward in life despite the imperfectness of various arrangements or relationships. At the same time things can't go on forever when their essential nature is bad for us...and we might be getting some foreshadowing of the ending of something in particular that we can't go forward with under the banner of a "noble/sacrificial calling" for too long.
One last thing worth mentioning is that while these transits can be shocking they may not necessarily be shocking to us personally. Sometimes we see others around us going through a time of shock or upheaval. Nonetheless, the people around us who are going through some kind of shock or upheaval might be connected to us in ways that we're not fully conscious of...in which case it's important that we study our relationships, as well as our responses to others misfortunes, wild successes, or whatever else is taking place. The Mars/Sun combination, with Mars in a superior position from his rulership in Scorpio, might bring to mind the idea of advancing or succeeding because of someone else's misfortune, downfall, or through a manipulation or attack on someone else's position relative to our own.
Prayer: Show us the difference between a noble calling and something worth letting go of...show us how to move forward with things in the right way rather than putting a temporary bandage on something, and show us how to walk mindfully through the experience of unexpected shocks, both good and bad
The Moon is in Sagittarius this morning, applying to a conjunction with Saturn and a simultaneous sextile with the Sun in Aquarius. Meanwhile Venus/Pluto is almost exact and Sun/Mars is almost exact.
What to watch for today and as the week continues..
Moon/Saturn in Sagittarius today:
* The difference between a law or rule and the spirit of the law or rule
* Sternness and legalism
* Self righteousness and inflexibility
* Dogma and philosophical conviction
* Argumentation and debate surrounding higher principles or truth
* Promises, oaths, laws, rules, regulations
* Why do some people have to follow the rules and others can bend or break them freely?
* The rules or covenants of families, tribes, communities
* Ancient religious conflict
* Family traditions and keeping the faith
* Religious freedom, the religious imagination
* A religious or highly spirited atmosphere
* The subject of old age, wisdom, experience, the refusal to grow old
Moon/Sun sextile in Sagittarius/Aquarius today:
* Lofty, intellectual, philosophical, humanitarian conversations
* Forward thinking, allies, allegiances, agreements
* New ideas, new thoughts, shared excitement
* Learning and sharing the excitement of ideas
* Political or social allegiances being supportive of our plans or goals
* Finding agreement with like minded people
* The answer is "yes" so long as various criteria are met
Sun/Mars square in Aquarius/Scorpio:
* Character attacks
* Self sabotage
* Arrogance and cruelty
* Injury to that which is bright, light, youthful, and hopeful
* Demonstration or protest leading to violence, death, injury
* Humanitarianism meets corruption and violence and standoffs
* Disagreements regarding authority and respect
* Clarifying something through aggression or sharpness
* Political/social/cultural clashes
* Anger and confrontation
* Bullying and abuse of the outsider
Venus/Pluto conjunction in Capricorn:
* Eruptions in love
* Iron clad partnerships
* Lack of passion, love me little but love me long
* The death of relationships
* The rebirthing of relationships
* The practical arrangements of love
* The eruption of things from the unconscious that effect or change or disturb or transform our relationships
* Secrecy, betrayal, dishonesty, selfish ambitions in love and marriage
* The fear of commitment revealed or exposed
* Sacrifice of real commonality for the sake of allegiances or contracts that serve a higher, perhaps more selfish, purpose
* The fear that keeps relationships together
* The PC kind of love
* Sexual taboo, sexual crimes, exposure of sexual issues
A strong week of transits again, both today and as the week progresses into the weekend. Take care of yourselves and remember that these transits tend to create some eruptive and rather chaotic/violent reactions. Remember to breathe, think before you speak, and listen twice as much as you talk. It's a good time to get clear and not such a great time to be reactive and impatient, especially in our relationships...no matter how right we think were are about things!
Prayer: May we mature and grow wiser in our relationships for the wear. May time be our ever blessing ally, teacher, and friend, through the good times and the bad.
The Moon is in Scorpio today, just now making a sextile to Mercury in Capricorn and then another sextile to Jupiter in Virgo later today.
Meanwhile the Sun and Mars are closer to an exact square, and Venus and Pluto to a conjunction.
A few additional themes to consider today for the approaching Venus/Pluto conjunction.
I was inspired this morning to revisit a passage from Song of Songs in the Old Testament, which is pretty steamy, if you've never read it before! In one passage I was struck by the Venus/Pluto symbolism. There is a call and response happening between a man and woman, lover and beloved. At one point the woman says, "do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires." Then there is an implied period of waiting...then the beloved says, "Look, here he comes!" She describes him waiting and watching outside the windows and walls in a deeply erotic line. Then he calls to her and she compares his calling to the coming of spring, the natural and seasonal time for lovers.
Later in the same passage, after he "browses among the lilies until the day breaks and the shadows flee, her lover retreats again "like a gazelle..on the rugged hills."
Especially in the sign of Capricorn there is something that might feel contrived about love. Love is a contract. Love is an agreement. Love has terms and negotiations. Love is about positioning and protection. For example, in another biblical book, the book of Ruth, the widow finds Boaz, a kinsmen redeemer, to take her in after her and another widow, Naomi, have lost their husbands. The story has that ring of Venus/Pluto in Capricorn insofar as a powerful love arrangement is made for the sake of protection, and through this version of the bond of love, David's grandfather is eventually born...and David becomes the head of the line of Jesus. This is a Venus/Pluto in Capricorn love story in the sense of love establishing lineages, fortification, and involving noble sacrifice in love. However the tag line to this kind of love story might read, "love me little but by this love may some greater accomplishment be made."
Somehow Venus/Pluto in Capricorn is about both of these stories. It's about the patience of love..."do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires." Capricorn is a cold and dry sign, and when Venus travels through this celestial landscape she is not unlike the woman in Song of Songs, waiting for the explosion of spring, or like Ruth, making a sober deal in the name of a higher and more meritorious (dryer) purpose. One day spring will come...we might be thinking to ourselves right now...but until then....
Or, the dryness might be too much to handle anymore...and so fire and water stir below the surface of our love me little but love me long contracts...teasing us into a blowout or a fight, detonating the bridge, or demanding spring come to us, and doing so with an ironically cold and iron first.
Prayer: Somewhere between the Song of Songs and Ruth, we are each waiting and praying for a higher love.
The Moon is in Scorpio this morning, applying to a sextile of Venus in Capricorn. Meanwhile the Sun is applying to a square with Mars, and Venus is applying to a conjunction with Pluto.
As Mars is in an overcoming/superior square with the Sun he holds some power over the Sun in the approaching transit. Watch for outbursts of violence, passionate intensity, accidents or injuries, etc. We might especially look for Sun symbols to receive some form of injury or direct challenge. This might include: our clarity, our confidence, our eyes, our brightness, our joy, youth, faith, hope, truth, reputation, leaders, or masculinity. Mars in Scorpio, when damaging may accuse, call out, prod, catalyze, attack, and is jealous, vindictive, vengeful, and resentful of happiness, brightness, etc. The transit is also about exposures, disclosure, public embarrassment or humiliation, as well as shining a powerful light on corruption or scandal. Also, watch for people attempting to humiliate or bully.
Meanwhile Venus is heading toward a conjunction with Pluto and a number subjects are on the radar. They include: sexual healing, lust, desire, eroticism, sexual crimes and transformation, taboo subjects related to sexuality, jealousy, lies and betrayal or suspicion in relationships, secrets and hidden relationship dynamics being exposed, the health or injury of the reproductive systems, the transformation of our style, aesthetic, or taste. This transit may piggyback along with the Mars/Sun transit as Mars enters a sextile with Pluto to combine all of the listed themes in dynamic and unexpected ways.
For example, sex crimes, injury to youth, and public exposure all came together at the 22nd annual screen actors guild awards last night when the film "Spotlight" took home the top prize. Spotlight is a film about the sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic church, and both the title and content of the film reflects the astrology of the moment.
In the meantime, today Mars applies to a sextile of Venus. As relationship issues might be percolating, or moving toward some kind of a head, today might be a good day to positively address something within the context of your relationships or sex life. Diffusing things before the get too intense is a good idea if opportunities open themselves up for it!
Prayer: The truth is gentle, the truth is kind, the truth is a lamp on a stand, not an accusation or righteous demand.
The Moon is in Virgo today, moving toward a sextile with Mars and then a square with Saturn by tomorrow. Meanwhile Mercury has stationed and is about to move direct again by this evening. After which point he will move slowly across his conjunction with Pluto again over the rest of the week.
A few sneak previews: Venus is heading toward a conjunction with Pluto, and the Sun is heading toward a conjunction with Mars. Both transits we'll be keeping our eye on in the upcoming week or two.
Here's what to watch for today and moving forward:
* A serious, concerted, timely effort (Moon in Virgo sextile Mars)
* Feeling motivated to clean or cleanse (Moon in Virgo sextile Mars)
* A helpful intervention for the sake of healing, cleaning, organizing, or accomplishing something (Moon sextile Mars)
* Expulsion or removing something that takes effort but it's done quickly and effectively (Moon in Virgo sextile Mars)
* Devoting time and energy or time and resources to accomplishing something that isn't fun but needs to be done (Moon in Virgo sextile Mars)
* Intense or hostile communication dynamics (Mercury/Pluto)
* Death, difficulty, explosions, setbacks related to technology, travel, and communication of all kinds (Mercury/Pluto)
* Healing, release, catharsis, through powerful insights and revelations (Mercury/Pluto)
* Speaking the truth, having it out, argumentation that exposes shadows or repressed material, transforms, burns, reforms (Mercury/Pluto)
* Ideological tension within groups building (Sun in Aquarius moving into a square with Mars in Scorpio)
* Standoffs between groups or different ways of thinking (Sun/Mars)
* The death of an important figure within a large community (Sun in Aquarius square Mars in Scorpio)
* Injury to someone or something brilliant (Sun/Mars)
* Sexual healing or catharsis (Venus/Pluto conj)
* Romantic love that burns, consumes, obsesses, transforms (Venus/Pluto)
* The dark side of the goddess (Venus/Pluto)
* The beauty of the underworld (Venus/Pluto)
* Sexual drama, hostility, crime (Venus/Pluto)
Remember that as Mercury turns direct, it's like a sick person coming out of a fever. Mercury is slowly but surely regaining his ability to do things a little more easily or smoothly. Another way of putting it might be that Mercury turning direct is like a person coming out of an altered state or a deep healing ceremony of some kind. The integration begins! Watch for insights and recent communication issues to start rapidly resolving themselves as Mercury crosses Pluto one last time.
Prayer: god of messages and messengers, emissary of the universal, thank you for your inside out, upside down, backward to move forward lessons, gifts, and blessings. May we take your teachings forward and keep the promises we've made during these last weeks.
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.