* The last time I was able to identify a long standing conjunction between a stationing to direct Mercury with Uranus in Aries was 1426 (please feel free to double check me!). I have no idea what that means, but it's certainly not an astrological transit that occurs often...in any sign!
* The 9th hexagram of the I Ching is called "Gentle Restraint," and it's teaching is about exactly what it sounds like it's about. :-)
* One image that is constantly invoked when people talk about the 9th hexagram is the gathering of clouds but no rain. The preparation or waiting for the time of a big breakthrough. I can tell you that I'm sitting on the edge of some big personal breakthroughs right now, and yet I can feel that slow Mercury just waiting there, just barely picking up speed, about to conjoin with Uranus again. The wisdom of the 9th hexagram, "Gently wait, gently prepare, don't rush forward," is so simple but so important.
* The 4th line of the 9th hexagram talks about a wise man helping to restrain a belligerent general from rushing forward into battle...the line reads "blood vanishes and fear gives way," or "bloody and terrible deeds are avoided."
* There is something at stake in this waiting, in this gentle restraint...there is a sense that consequences could be severe if we let fear, anxiety, and irritation or ambition take the reins and make a rash decision right now.
* The changing of the 4th line of hexagram 9 creates hexagram 1, all yang lines, THE CREATIVE. And it too is what it sounds like. Massive, energetic release, creativity, new beginnings, seeding periods, pivotal times of change and transformation, etc.
* It's also interesting to juxtapose two hexagrams, and in this case we get the image of gentle, patient, restraint, within the midst of powerful creative beginnings and release. Or powerful creative release and transformation within the midst of gentle, non-action.
So, happy Saturn's day...happy Mercury/Uranus day...happy gentle restraining before or amidst these powerful Arian flavored changes...avoid bloodshed, metaphorical or otherwise, and enjoy the winds of change! :-)
Prayer: Help me to avoid bloody and terrible deeds.