Check out my monthly Sun/Rising sign columns at Astrograph.com. Click on the image above and then find your sign's glyph at the top of the page!
Venus is slowing down and will turn retrograde in the sign of Scorpio on October 6th. It will then be retrograde for the next 40 days until turning direct again in the middle of November.
Here's what to watch for:
* A change of style, image, or appearance
* Ill-timed or crafted changes of style, image, or appearance
* Value conflicts in relationships
* A change of taste
* Jealousy, betrayal, competition, and underhandedness in relationships
* A loss of mental or emotional stability
* The feminine and the warrior
* Issues or challenges related to sexuality, sexual identity, one's sexual past or relationship history
* The deterioration of a relationship, contract, friendship, or allegiance
* Secrets or unconscious material coming to the surface
* An ounce of truth weighed as though it is a mountain
* A mountain of truth hidden as though it is an ounce
* Secrets and the unconscious within our relationships
* Desire and passion and the healthy or unhealthy role they play in our relationships
* Something "clean" becoming dirty, ugly, tainted, infected, etc.
* Possessiveness, fear, obsession
* Dark art, the importance of the underworld in literature, art, film, religion, etc.
* Reaping what's been sown in relationships
* Making external changes to something that you believe will better reflect the inner substance of something
* Vindictiveness or revenge
* Emotional healing within relationships
* Sensitive or charged issues in friendships
* Insatiable desires or longings that burn
Remember, Venus was traditionally called "phosphorus," or "self-illumined," and although we can relate Venus to may external features of personal or social beauty, the real spiritual symbolism of Venus has to do with the same self-illumined quality of our spirit/soul, which, when are in touch with, brings harmony to the way we live our lives. So the adornments of Venus, the jewels, flowers, and fragrant oils, are the natural overflow of the goddess who is self-illumined.
Similarly, when we are decorating a home altar with flowers and fragrances, we do so in order to connect with the spirit of divinity. Not surprisingly, Venus was traditionally associated with spiritual piety, temple acolytes, and the adornments of altars. Sometimes we go searching for a makeover in some area of our life, thinking that an external change will make all of the difference, but the truth is that changing the flowers on the altar, without any interest in the divine source we are all connected to, is like dressing up a dead body and pretending it's alive again. The real gift of this retrograde period is the opportunity we each have to remember and return to soulfulness, to the reality of the self-illumined one within, and by extension our eternal, loving relationship with the self-illumined source of all beings. When we make this the priority, the makeovers we most need in the physical world, whether it's our relationships, website, or wardrobe, become natural again.
Prayer: Be our most personal makeover. Over and over again.
The Sun in Libra is Square to Saturn in Capricorn today.
Here's what to watch for:
* Control, poise, grace, and maturity
* Rigidity and the voice of the inner critic
* Responsibility and choices made based upon obligation rather than authentic personal need or preference
* Maturity, growth, duty, and sacrifice
* Setting boundaries, being grounded
* The death or decline of solar figures
* Tightening, focusing, shortening
* Presenting an image of "togetherness" that is so airtight that you can't actually breathe...
* Justice and forgiveness, penalties and remediation
* Issues with authority figures and fairness, control, or harshness
* Obsession with the ideas of advancement, progress, beauty, and perfection
* Austerity and the insights of authentic sacrifice vs. those sacrifices performed for the sake of advancement, public image, etc.
* Fear of having to "get it right" vs. the importance of making a healthy and balanced decision
* The fear of not pleasing everyone, an inability to thread the needle between multiple demands or constraints or concerns
* A hard no vs. an honest but kind no
* Keeping a lid on something and how it helps or how it may harm
* An elder, a voice of reason and experience
* The judging faculty vs. judgments...the burden of the fact that we are each judge as well as plaintiff and defendant
* The distance we need to remember that who we are is beyond judgment
* The question of where our commitments lie and how to serve something for its own sake
Prayer: Please teach us how to do more than "get it right." Teach us how to do more than "fail." Teach us how to love you, which is its own reward, teach us how to serve you, life after life, without motivation. Bless us with your mercy, grace, and patience, so that we may withstand all of our own fruitless attempts to "get it right," instead of getting to know you better.
Mercury is just passing through its conjunction with the Sun in the past twenty-four hours, which means it will slowly start its "recovery" phase from combustion as it eventually appears again as the evening star.
Meanwhile, Mercury will also be changing signs over the weekend into Libra and making an immediate square to Saturn.
Here's what to watch for:
* A serious mind
* Sober, disciplined thinking
* Balanced, refined, committed ideas and communication
* Systematic thinking
* Intellectual or technical mastery
* Refined prose, editing, verbal economy
* Eliminating, reducing, or saying "no"
* The wisdom of an elder
* Referring to time, wisdom, and experience
* Laws, legalistic thinking, and loopholes in the laws
* Crafting a diplomatic email or message
* Removing something
* Terminating a contract or agreement (Saturn negates)
* Making a solid agreement (Saturn solidifies)
* An expert or intellectual authority
* Rigid thinking or inflexible ideas about beauty
* Triangulation tactics
* Mental or communicative avoidance
* Blocks or limitations in speech, language, technology, etc.
* Stern disagreements and politeness combined
* Something that ages and matures like fine wine
* Judgment, justice, fairness, and the weight of tradition
* Nepotism in schools, systems of justice, organizations, etc.
With Mercury slowly emerging as the evening star it will eventually make some very powerful aspects, including a square to Pluto at the start of October. Meanwhile, Mercury moving into Libra also means that Mercury will be losing some of its mojo, which has also been helping it to stay strong despite being under the beams of the Sun (sometimes referred to as being in its "chariot"). This could make for a somewhat intense or strained, mental and communicative aura for the next week, especially with Mercury being in Libra while Venus is debilitated in Scorpio. But you also couldn't ask for a better time to get to the bottom of things while being a little more rational and mature along the way!
Prayer: As waves move across the waters of our mind, help us to see beyond these fluctuations, to the winds of your heavenly breath. And may we never speak in vain, but may our thoughts and words reflect the pure vibrations of your love.
Mars is square to Uranus today.
Here's what to watch for:
* You are feeling attracted to rebels, innovators, and iconoclasts, or you are considering whether or not you are one yourself.
* You are thinking about originality, bringing something old up to speed
* You are feeling the need to throw off constraints or to break from the normal routine
* You are drawn toward the controversial idea or position
* You are feeling rushes of yang, assertiveness, aggression, competition, or a desire to individuate or separate from the herd
* You are ready to push forward and you don't care for the word "no"
* Tearing, ripping, cutting, severing, or sudden separation
* Unexpected breakthroughs, disruptions, discoveries
* Resisting the way you are being pigeonholed digs you into a deeper hole; you are tempted to lash out
* You are going to say the more forceful truth that you believe in, and you don't care what others think about it
* You are trying hard to simplify but complexities keep coming up...you're getting closer to an outburst of energy
* You are trying to integrate a series of lessons related to anger, frustration, irritation, desire, and limitations
Notice that for as dynamic as this aspect is, it is also predictable. Even the moments that appear to be the most disruptive, erratic, and willful, are, in a sense, a part of the status quo in this material reality. We live in a place where even when we're feeling most defiant and "original," there is still, in a sense, nothing new and nothing so shocking under the Sun. Keeping this in mind we may temper the belief that all of our "yang enthusiasm" is as special and important as it would have us believe.
When we take a simple moment to view our experiences more objectively, which astrology was designed to help us with, we can also try to ask the question, "How may I use this moment to deepen my service to the divine source of which I am a part?" This question then brings us back into a more meaningful or conscious and personal experience of the transit.
Prayer: Shock us back to the question of service. How do I serve you just a little more personally? Become more personal to me.
ENJOY READING THESE DAILY FORECASTS?
Adam Elenbaas is a professional astrologer and the founder of the Nightlight Astrology School. Adam holds an MA and MFA in English and Creative Writing and is one of the founding writers at RealitySandwich. To learn more about Adam, click here.